By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - dispelling the common wii misconceptions

trestres said:
I just lol'ed at Groucho's End of 08 and End of 09 predictions.

Sorry if this was off-topic, but DAMN.

lol same, that was the first interesting thing i read in this thread

while having respect for kevin for trying to dispel some of these myths.. i thought they were fairly nonexistant as myths (either there are not brought up anymore or are easily dismissed for being ridiculous or simply known facts which are not myths),

While I read the OP though, I could see reasons why people would have those doubts just based on your answers to them, as they weren't very solid responses.. for example.. for your "hardcore games" you have 6 games listed, and only two of them released, and one of those is a horrible port of an already bad game... also.. you have added influence to the belief that a game needs to be about killing to be "hardcore".. that is absolutely incorrect.. a game about killing is labeled "M", not "Hardcore", and "M" games, as proved by Manhunt, is not what you should look for in games.. it is how good they are.. others have listed about 10 other better examples of hardcore games in this thread, and you can see a lot more in the weekly "the wii has hardcore games" threads

Around the Network

you must have missed my post stating that I forgot to add that there are 2 definitions of hardcore. If you mean hardcore as in mario, zelda, pikmin, animal crossing, etc. I could list a whole lot of those titles, specifically, every zelda game and every main mario game is available on the wii. also, each aforementioned title has products in development.

I'm not a fanboy, I just don't enjoy dual analog control.  It's d-pad or wii-mote for me.

the conduit has changed the way wii play games.

I know.  I'm sick of the puns too.

truth: check my sig. I prefer moh: heroes 2. It has 32 player online.

So your examples include a PS2 port (Manhunt2) and one FPS and three games which are not available yet. A bit thin isn't it.

truth: standard videos can be converted to mjpeg via wii video 9 (google it) and loaded to an sd card.

Sounds very convenient. I think you shouldn't use the Wii to view videos

if you buy a component cable you can get up to 480p widescreen.

So the Wii has no ED or HD functions. What was the myth again

^viewing videos is fine... as in mjpeg is what my digital camera records so they just work straight from the SD card.

And 480p is ED

kevin the wiiite said:

would you guys stop implying stuff into what I'm saying? did I say 480 was hd? no. did I say the wii can output 1080p? no. what I meant with the fourth "misconception" is that the wii is capable of, albeit not very well, outputting an hd signal HARDWARE WISE. In the link http://wiinside.blogspot.com/2007/04/inside-wii.html it is stated that the only reason that games on the wii are resolution restricted BY THE SDK and not by the Hollywood GPU.

Either the hardware can or cannot output 1080p and you claimed it could so it was fair to ask you about it.

As for your source it is neither an official confirmation nor a homebrew source which, if it was accompanied with enough technical details, could be checked independently. Hell, even assuming that interview is not made up doesn't help your claim as it is obvious that the resolution restriction he is talking about is the 480p one. The hardware definitely has a restriction whether 480p, 1080p or 4320p (yeah, right)... so that guy saying that the resolution is restricted in the SDK logically implies the 480p resolution and that this is not the physical resolution of the Wii does in no way imply that it can do 1080p in hardware. If it could Wii homebrew could do it as they do not use the Nintendo SDK and can even load their own IOS (Wii firmware).

BTW we already knew that the Wii can display resolutions higher than 480p as the Opera browser seems to display at 800x600 when in EDTV widescreen mode. Still a far cry from HD though. Source:

http://aralbalkan.com/823

"I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

Around the Network

I pretty much never use my Wii for internet use. In fact, I will probably delete channel to make room for games since Nintendo is still too stubborn to give us the necessary harddrive support. I'm not deleting any actual games.

If I paid money for them, I shouldn't be expected to throw them out just to get more. Like I've said before, when I buy a new DVD, I don't throw away two old ones to make room on my shelf. If need be, I get a larger storage solution.

TWRoO said:

I think you might be missing the point.... a browser on a console is an EXTRA FEATURE..... no nitwit is going to buy a Wii as their primary browser.

The browser should be compared to it's competition, which is the PS3s browser.

If I were to review the Wii's browser it would be against the PS3s browser, with mentions about the DS and PSP browser.
I would likely state it's shortcomings against a PC based browser, but it wouldn't be marked down becase of it.

No both are relevent.

Yes one important consideration is how it weighs against the other consoles, but how it performs in absolute terms is also relevent; if a feature doesn't meet a certain minimum standard it is useless, and it doesn't make me feel any better to known that people with other products aren't doing any better.

Anytime I am on the wii and think of something I need online its always a contest between how fast do I want it and how lazy am I. Unless I am really, really tired getting off my butt and going to pc is almost always the best choice (especially because whether the wii will even work on a given website is often unknown).

Geldorn said:
kevin the wiiite said:

would you guys stop implying stuff into what I'm saying? did I say 480 was hd? no. did I say the wii can output 1080p? no. what I meant with the fourth "misconception" is that the wii is capable of, albeit not very well, outputting an hd signal HARDWARE WISE. In the link http://wiinside.blogspot.com/2007/04/inside-wii.html it is stated that the only reason that games on the wii are resolution restricted BY THE SDK and not by the Hollywood GPU.

Except of course that it's framebuffer (2MB) is about 1/4 (slightly less) of what they'd need for a 1080P signal.

So no, the hardware can't put out a 1080P signal. It does not have enough memory to do so.

qft

The Wii is limited by hardware, not software or firmware.

Also, most your points dispelling these myths are really work arounds and more trouble then they are worth. Sounds more like you are supporting those myths or even proving them. I mean, I have a Wii, it plays WiiFit all sorts of fine, but for all the things you listed off, I use my PS3 or 360.

And to who ever said the browser was free... stop lying. Its not nice.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"