By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 1UP a bit harsh on Disgaea 3?

With an average of 82 on Metacritic, none lower than 80 we can assume the score was dropped due to graphics, as expected. 1UP however took this a bit far IMO and gave the game an overall of 67...

Anyone else think a 33 point reduction pretty much based on the graphics alone is quite harsh? They said the game wouldn't have even been impressive in 1998. Wow... talk about rating a game on it's gameplay.

BIG EDIT -

Actually... looking at the site, they gave it a B-... how the hell does Metacritic take that as a 67?????

WTF????

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3169596&p=37

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/disgaea3absenceofjustice?q=disgaea%203

Metacritic... my ass.

A+ 1UP editor and user average.

Also, why does 1UP say it released on PS3 and DS today? Morons.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

Perhaps 1UP was a bit harsh, but the biggest culprit is Metacritic. 1UP gave the game a B-, which I don't know how much it equates (I'll never understand the letter grade system, people should realize numbers are better), but I'm sure it doesn't equate to 67. After all, they say B+ to B- is good

yeah they failed on that one.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

zexen_lowe said:
Perhaps 1UP was a bit harsh, but the biggest culprit is Metacritic. 1UP gave the game a B-, which I don't know how much it equates (I'll never understand the letter grade system, people should realize numbers are better), but I'm sure it doesn't equate to 67. After all, they say B+ to B- is good

Agreed. It is hard to think that 1UP is saying it is only 7 points better than Lair.

ToV gets a B+ and they equate it to 83. D3 gets B- and it equates to 67. Metacritic fails.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Even more strange is with an 85, 85, 83, 82, 80, 80 and a 67 the average score remains 80.

Currently playing:

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
Even more strange is with an 85, 85, 83, 82, 80, 80 and a 67 the average score remains 80.

Um, no it's not strange. (85+85+83+82+80+80+67) / 7 = 80.3.

People take Metacritic way too seriously. All ratings scales are not equal. Comparing them as such makes ZERO sense. Go actually READ reviews if you wanna know how someone feels about a game, not compare worthless numbers.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

I will definitely be picking this game up in the near future.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

so a b- is = to 67.

how interesting

B- should be around the 75 mark shouldn't it? Metacritic is flawed anyway.

Do you know what else sucks? I have the PSM3 magazine that reviewed Disgaea 3, and they gave it 88%, but metacritic have given it an 82 from PSM3. What is up with that?