By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When will the Wii get a price drop?

Im gonna say London olympics. lol

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network
PDF said:

@sherlock - Even the Wii will need a price drop eventually. Whether it be in 2009 or 2012. It will get one. That post doesnt really contribute to the thread in a helpful way.

Actually it did contribute, more than you can see.  What are you looking for?  It doesn't need one while the "wii is still selling like crazy".  When that condition is not met, then you might expect a price drop.  Seems to answer your question.

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
psrock said:
after the DS gets one.

this.

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

Somewhere between holidays 2009 and spring 2010. You can quote me on this since I'm about 100% sure of this one.

Michael Pachter aint available, all u have here is self proclaimed experts on talking of the shit.

Revised my guess in light of consideration. It will be market generated. Australia sells for 400$, NZ for 500$, we get the drop first so maybe 2010. Different markets i dont know the answer.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

I expect one when one of the other consoles fall below $250 OR when Wii starts to loose steam(it will happen eventually)

When the next Nintendo Console is getting announced!

There's also a possibility of price drop from only the price that Nintendo sells consoles to retailers, while the list price (sold to consumer) stays the same.
Someone might ask why would they do so, and it would be to get retailers to promote the Wii more. They would also expand to new stores, when retailers would see a new gap for profit. Basically this could equal a pricedrop, since retailers would make their own cuts and bundles.

But as for an official pricecut for consumer price, it's really hard to say and depends on Nintendos strategy how they decide to fight for the market share and how high they are willing to up the production.

Iwata has said that pricecut isn't expected before 2012, but i'd say it happens when Wii is manufactured more than 3,5M a month, which should be 2010 at latest.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

I guess in Europe/Japan in about 10-12 month. America a little later. If you don't count a bundle as price cut.

I think the first bundle will come arround March.

July-September 2009.

The 360 will be selling for under 250, the PS3 will be at 300-350, and nintendo will not be selling the same huge amount of consoles.

As for the new price it will be 200.