By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When will the Wii get a price drop?

its still on the kart+brawl+wii fit ride.
once that all gone probably around 2009

Around the Network

In Japan? Maybe this holiday season. The rest of the world not til 2009 at the earliest.

I say before Summer 2009 they should have one

"Like you know"

When monthly sales drop below a million?

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

February 2010

It will take until that time for price pressure from the PS3 and an hard drive-equiped Xbox 360 to be in position to be competitive on price. (The Arcade Xbox 360 has not shown itself to be a substitute item, even though it has been cheaper in Europe and is going to become cheaper in the US.)

Mike from Morgantown

PS -- If sales dropped, Nintendo could knock $50 (USD) off the price tommorrow and still make money on console sales.

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

Japan will get a price cut next year.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

There will likely be a Wii bundle with Wii Sports Resort and Motion Plus. In that time, I would say $250 for the Wii Sports Resort/Motion Plus combo and $200 for a Wii with the old Wii Sports.

Pixel Art can be fun.

I can't help but think that the Wii was (initially) priced with the expectation of a price reduction in the (somewhat) near future ... The insane success of the Wii has made it difficult to reduce the price of the Wii because it is in a position where a price reduction offers no benefit.

My personal expectation for the Wii is to have Nintendo bundle an additional Wiimote & Nunchuck and Wii Sports: Resort with the existing Wii bundle at the same price in 2009, and for them to then reduce the price (for the long run) in 2010 to $200. I could be wrong, but I suspect that a console with two games and two controllers for $200 is the type of product which has already hit the "peak" value to cost ratio for most consumers.

Mid-to late 2009 is my guess.

Consoles have price cuts when they slow down selling. So far, that happened to both the PS3 and the Xbox360 but the wii is the total opposite. Of course, that will happen some day. When? I guess in 2010 but is very hard to tell. The demand is incredibly high.