By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Comparing Exclusives:HD Console Graphics.

I think most people on the internet were upset when it went multiplatform.  The engines have to be designed from the ground up on that console.  In the case of PS3, it has to start being designed on Cell, not on a Power PC based system.  And vice versa.

Going multiplatform, a designer has to avoid choices were the 360's textures willl look nicer or the PS3's animation, physics, or lighting look better. Its a catch 22.

Console Agnostic since 2001.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
forevercloud3000 said:
Soriku said:
forevercloud3000 said:
I know, they were to just further the graphical abilities of the consoles. Like I said in the OP (dont know if you read any of it) Bioshock was a tough one becuz it is now coming to PS3. As for the FF games at the bottom. That was mostly me comparing them to each other as many doent believe multiplat games take away from a game as if it were exclusive. That was put in there to prove it.

Bull. Those shots came long before FF XIII was planned for the 360. Heck, the 360 version of FF XIII hasn't even STARTED yet. Those are PS3 shots. Versus XIII just looks better for whatever reason. The "FF XIII going to look worse on PS3 because it's now on 360! NOOOOOOOOOOZZZZ!" posts are stupid.

FFXIII

First pic-before multiplat anounced, looks equal to versus

Second pic-after anouncement, does not look as good as versus

do you see my point? How does that not PROVE it? The game has been downgraded, even if slightly visible, i hate it never the less.

lol.

The first pic looks exactly like the second pic. The scan pic isn't even the best quality - it's a SCAN. Not an HQ pic. So obviously quality will be hindered once it's on the Internet. Still, it's obvious they look the same if we get a clearer shot of the pic.

Second, like I said, the 360 version hasn't started. Why do fail to comprehend that?

Also, I'm so glad you have this quote in your sig. Suits you perfectly.

"One who knows nothing can understand......nothing. Such is the nature of this world!"          ~ Ansem~

Uhg, So what if the 360 one has not been started, it is still said to be in the works. Square said they want the two to be exactly the same in quality,the PS3 exclu ver. and the PS3 multi ver. are not the same in quality, I dont like the loss of quality, such is my right, what is your problem?

Secondly, yes I said that the image may be clouded by the scanlation, but the versus one is a scan as well(dont know If i stated that in post) and it retained its full spec quality(still looks better) yet the xiii one does not. Those are pretty decent scans so there is only so much quality loss. The XIII one does not look as good as the Versus one, even though at one point it did. That means something has changed, the only thing that has changed is the XIII version, meaning it has been downsized.

Lastly, there are other things to be compared in this thread besides FF series I put in. Why do you not comment on any of those?

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Soriku said:

lol.

The first pic looks exactly like the second pic. The scan pic isn't even the best quality - it's a SCAN. Not an HQ pic. So obviously quality will be hindered once it's on the Internet. Still, it's obvious they look the same if we get a clearer shot of the pic.

Second, like I said, the 360 version hasn't started. Why do fail to comprehend that?

"One who knows nothing can understand......nothing. Such is the nature of this world!" ~ Ansem~

There is a very famous quote by Nomura where he claims in an interview:  "It seems that the Versus team was, from the start, trying to get the full specifications out of the PS3, and that takes time. Just the other day, during a Versus meeting, a programmer asked, 'Is it okay to program with PS3 exclusivity in mind?'." I asked why, and he said, 'If we port it to other hardware, we have to program with that in mind.' I responded, 'Of course, Versus is PS3 exclusive.'.

The PS3 is a beast.

To be fair; Bioshock, Alan Wake, Final Fantasy and probably Gears 2 are all not exclusives and are shared with PC or PS3/360.

talkingparrot said:
Soriku said:

lol.

"One who knows nothing can understand......nothing. Such is the nature of this world!" ~ Ansem~

There is a very famous quote by Nomura where he claims in an interview: "It seems that the Versus team was, from the start, trying to get the full specifications out of the PS3, and that takes time. Just the other day, during a Versus meeting, a programmer asked, 'Is it okay to program with PS3 exclusivity in mind?'." I asked why, and he said, 'If we port it to other hardware, we have to program with that in mind.' I responded, 'Of course, Versus is PS3 exclusive.'.

The PS3 is a beast.

Way to read it a certain way, that's like saying the reason why orange box sucks on PS3 is because the PS3 can't handle a game like the orange box (or rather the games of the orange box) when in fact the programming for the game was from a PC standpoint which the 360 is similar to, therefore the 360 version was closer to the PC version and the PS3 version suffered. It's not about one console outgunning another, it's about programming for a specific console in order to make the game run smoothly on it.

The only thing you can take from that quote is that XIII VS is still a PS3 exclusive title.

Around the Network

@ talkingparrot

Going multiplatform, a designer has to avoid choices were the 360's textures willl look nicer or the PS3's animation, physics, or lighting look better. Its a catch 22.

With regard to choices on 360 textures looking better, what are you referring to exactly?

In general the PS3 provides technically more potential for better looking textures.

1) Blu-Ray drive, meaning 50 GB space for data storage, allows for more higher quality textures and other things like high quality audio to be stored on. Vs only 6.8 GB of game data on a dual layer 360 DVD. Storage space related sacrifices will play far less of a factor on the PS3.
2) Default harddrive, faster delivery of data if needed than Blu-Ray or DVD. Not per se through install, but could also be used for caching data on from Blu-Ray disc a la Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.
3) The Cell is very fast to calculate procedural textures, something the PS3 is far more powerful at. This I think is probably what the Mirror's Edge devs were referring to when they said the Cell allows for much higher resolution textures.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

@ OP

Why leave out MGS4? That has graphics that blow many other games out of the water

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Soriku said:

The 360 version hasn't started...so that's obviously the PS3 version. The quality hasn't been degraded AT ALL. if they're aiming for the same quality you'll see the 360 version looking exactly the same.

Second, Versus has always looked better than FF XIII. Always. Screenshots of Versus and FF XIII appeard ebfore the 360 announcement and Versus looked better. Nothing changed. Also, the Versus scans have HQ shots I think, btw.

I didn't comment on the rest because they all look similar anyway. Versus and FF XIII have a noticeable diffeence.

Are you telling me the 2005 trailer looks BETTER than the 2008 PS3 shots?

@talkingparrot

The PS3 hasn't shown anything the 360 has done graphically. If Versus hits the 360 it'll look the same.

Go look at Uncharted. The PS3 can do things more than the 360, its all on the developer's to use Cell. If someone just uses the PS3's graphics card, of course they'll look the same and most of the time better on 360. If they use the graphic card PLUS the cell (which it was designed for), it will look better. However, I see where you are coming from, and you would be right if you said to me - "The Cell is too hard, too expensive, and too taxing on a dev team to learn."

Soriku said:
forevercloud3000 said:
Soriku said:
forevercloud3000 said:
Soriku said:
forevercloud3000 said:
I know, they were to just further the graphical abilities of the consoles. Like I said in the OP (dont know if you read any of it) Bioshock was a tough one becuz it is now coming to PS3. As for the FF games at the bottom. That was mostly me comparing them to each other as many doent believe multiplat games take away from a game as if it were exclusive. That was put in there to prove it.

Bull. Those shots came long before FF XIII was planned for the 360. Heck, the 360 version of FF XIII hasn't even STARTED yet. Those are PS3 shots. Versus XIII just looks better for whatever reason. The "FF XIII going to look worse on PS3 because it's now on 360! NOOOOOOOOOOZZZZ!" posts are stupid.

FFXIII

First pic-before multiplat anounced, looks equal to versus

Second pic-after anouncement, does not look as good as versus

do you see my point? How does that not PROVE it? The game has been downgraded, even if slightly visible, i hate it never the less.

lol.

"One who knows nothing can understand......nothing. Such is the nature of this world!"          ~ Ansem~

Uhg, So what if the 360 one has not been started, it is still said to be in the works. Square said they want the two to be exactly the same in quality,the PS3 exclu ver. and the PS3 multi ver. are not the same in quality, I dont like the loss of quality, such is my right, what is your problem?

Secondly, yes I said that the image may be clouded by the scanlation, but the versus one is a scan as well(dont know If i stated that in post) and it retained its full spec quality(still looks better) yet the xiii one does not. Those are pretty decent scans so there is only so much quality loss. The XIII one does not look as good as the Versus one, even though at one point it did. That means something has changed, the only thing that has changed is the XIII version, meaning it has been downsized.

Lastly, there are other things to be compared in this thread besides FF series I put in. Why do you not comment on any of those?

The 360 version hasn't started...so that's obviously the PS3 version. The quality hasn't been degraded AT ALL. if they're aiming for the same quality you'll see the 360 version looking exactly the same.

Whether the 360 version started or not does not matter. I could care less what the 360 version looks like all I care about is the PS3 version. What I am saying is that Square, in the hope of making the games even and keeping the two companies at bay, has downsized the PS3 version to better suite the upcoming 360 version.

Second, Versus has always looked better than FF XIII. Always. Screenshots of Versus and FF XIII appeard ebfore the 360 announcement and Versus looked better. Nothing changed. Also, the Versus scans have HQ shots I think, btw.

I have always thought their graphics were even in that regard. Even though XIII looks to be the more interesting game for me over all, they LOOKED the same. THat shot of Versus was taken from the same magazine at the same time, so I can rightfully assume they are of samee quality as the XIII ones. Nevertheless the Versus one keeps it's previously noted in game quality as the XIII one has lost it slightly.

I didn't comment on the rest because they all look similar anyway. Versus and FF XIII have a noticeable diffeence.

Are you telling me the 2005 trailer looks BETTER than the 2008 PS3 shots?

Yes, that is what I am telling you. It has taken a Killzone 2 original screens to Killzone 2 actual screens drop. That newer screen DOES NOT look as good as the older ones.

@talkingparrot

The PS3 hasn't shown anything the 360 has done graphically. If Versus hits the 360 it'll look the same.

The absense of evidence is not the evidence of absense. Just becuase you havent seen it does not means it is not possible or that it does not exist. This is the point of all the PS3's power, the potential. No developer is going to tap into it's full power for quite a while. On the other hand it would seem as the 360 is reaching its limits as Gears seems to be the pinnacle of the 360's capable graphics while the PS3 keeps outdoing itself.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

So this has effectively come down to PS3 is graphically stronger, even though the screens for both systems come very close to each other. Thus, if a 360 version of similar quality comes, the PS3 version must have been downgraded.

This entire concept revolves around the PS3 being superior by a large margin which has not been sufficiently proven.

flames_of - "I think you're confusing Bush with Chuck Norris."

Wii: 80-85 Million end of 2009 (1.1.09)