By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Comparing Exclusives:HD Console Graphics.

I am posting this for all those who want to compare graphics of the two HD systems. I have carefully selected screenshots of games that are similar in artistic direction and genre. If you find any of the selected pics to be unfairly compared against another, please post a better one in your post with the url so that i may change it if I so please.

This is a rumored screenshot from Alan Wake. The game was running off of a computer last we saw it, so we will have to see if the game retains it's beauty.

Heavy Rain-Use of Environmental lighting, actually being run on the PS3. I am coupling ALan Wake with the Heavy Rain URL below(couldnt imbed the photo). Heavy Rain is said to be already running off of the PS3 hardware. I think the photo I have chosen is similar in nature to the AW one so it can fairly be judged.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/image_viewer/frame_lead.php?pid=933123&img=9&popup=1

Here is a screenshot of Killzone 2. It puts a lot of emphasis on the actual character /Environment models instead of heavy textures. The game has a unique look with it's drained color look.

Complaring GeOW2 with KZ2 is a bit of a stretch but this is what many seem to do regardless. The fact is GOW is a 3rd person game while KZ is a first. Nevertheless, you can see GOW2 has heavy textures to make up for it's lack luster models. As a modeler myself, I can tell the gated floor the two guys are standing on is nothing but a flat surface. The Textures give the elusion of depth within it. That is not necessarily a bad thing tho.

EDIT: here are other screens of GeOW2 , opinion still stands on it. Sub par models over shadowed with GREAT textures...

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14232680/gears-of-war-2/images/gears-of-war-2-20080625074326627.html

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14232680/gears-of-war-2/images/gears-of-war-2-20080625074328736.html

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14232680/gears-of-war-2/images/gears-of-war-2-20080625074336814.html

Gameplay wise, Uncharted is a game better suited with comparison to GOW2 seeing as they both emphasize 3rd person gunning. Uncharted has a much more realistic tone, yet they both excel at textures. The textures in Uncharted are a much stronger then GeOw2's but they are fewer and far between due to the type of environments in the game. GeOW2 gives a lot of variety in different textures applied to any and everything imaginable. Yet the resolution is not as strong as Uncharted's.

In artistic style Bioshock can be fairly compared to Uncharted, giving it a strong run for it's money. At first I did not want to include this seeing as the game will be rereleased for PS3 and in effect is just another multiplat game but will have better PS3 graphics then the 360. Bioshock has many of the same emphasizes as Uncharted but Uncharted brings them together better. The textures of the panels on the wall in Bioshock are a tad dull and flat. It uses the same textures>over models approach just like GeOW2.

While different in play style Banjo and LBP are similar in artistic style. Now BK is doing alot with Depth perception and cartoony models so this one will be tough.

EDIT: It has been brought to my attention that Ratchet:TOD would be a much better suited being compared to banjo, which I agree with( why I didnt think of that game I dont know).

LBP has stronger lighting and essentializes the textures as you can put them on just about anything.

Heavenly Sword, a masterpiece in motion. Everything is modeled fairly well, but nothing groundbreaking. Her animations are on point though. She seamlessly blends all of her attacks and such bringing the art to life. The light in this game is also SUPER INTENSIVE, so alot of details are covered up by the lighting. This might have been part of the artistic vision as to ad the foggy look of it, or just a cover up for small inconsistencies.

EDIT: NEW image do to corruption of the other one

This round def goes to NGII if only because you can actually see all the details since it is not shrouded in the light. Although I despise the plastic toy look of it(just like Virtua Fighter, Ew!) It definitely had serious work put into the models. Somethings are just too shiny and shouldn't be tho such as everything Hyabusa wears. Blood effects were better in Heavenly Sword but NGII has BUTT TONS More of it.

MULTIPLATFORM VS. EXCLUSIVE ROUND ONE

FINAL FANTASY XIII VS. FINAL FANTASY VERSUS XIII

THIS IS INDEED A INGAME SCREEN SHOT AS SAID BY SQUARE...

thIS is just jaw breakingly beautiful. The game's graphics are utterly superb in every way.

Versus's graphics were indeed on par with XIII's, if not better. You can tell this is in-game as well. Look at her arm. See how it stands out from the rest of the background. I do believe the background is cg but she most def is not. Her cape is not done to CG quality as well. Her sword also seems to slightly cut into her hand, something you would never see in a CG clip.

The graphics for XIII seems to have taken a hit as the seperations of Lightnings hair has become very visible and less seamless blending going on. Although this could be becuz of the scan.

EDIT: higher quality photo here to match the versus one. still a reasonable loss of quality since the last we saw it.

meanwihile the versus scans retain full glory from the original ingame shots. Look at the detail of the suit. It looks as if you can just snatch it right off(and it looks quite comfy as well). I can't tell too much how realistic his hair effects will be as I have not seen them in motion. His hands look real. The background textures could def use some work though.

THis is what I Have come up with so far. It is much more realistic to compare console exclusive titles to each other as that is the only way to guage the amount of effort between the two.

Personal Opinion:

For me the PS3 games take most of the trophies. Many MultiPlat stuff always look better on 360 seeing as it was lead platform. Now that many games are starting with the PS3 (because they have recognized it's power) you will see many games look identical or vastly superior on the PS side. Look how FFXIII and Versus were on par with each other, now it looks as if Versus has a slight edge after XIII went multi.

EDIT: got idea for more comparisons....

Forza 2...

vs. GT5 Prologue......

I dont even think I have to say anything about this one...

EDIT:Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm vs Naruto Broken Bond

This is Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm for PS3 exclusively....

This is Naruto Broken Bond For XBOX360 Exclusively....

MULTIPLATFORM VS. EXCLUSIVES PART TWO...

ASSASSIN'S CREED VS. MGS4 VS. VELVET ASSASSIN

as technologically wonderous as the game was, assassin's creeds graphics now are over shadowed by newer much more technically heavy games.

this old man puts Altair to shame with his fully stranded grey hair, realistic environments, and super impressive weapons. Don't forget seamless facial expressions.

lets see that again....

and...

Now this game here will definitely give MGS4 a run for it's money. At least in the super lighting department. Velvet assassin also out stretches Assassin's Creed. look...

EDIT: White Knight Chronicles Vs. Star Ocean 4

I love the look of WKC with it's extremely anime-ish look. The characters look a bit like clay molds, cant tell if that is on purpose or lack of effort.Lighting effects seem to be pretty decent within this game.

I am not exactly sure if this is in-game or not. Yet if it is I  am astonished at the brilliant lighting effects, maybe it is becuz i am a sucker for Sun horizons lol.

If this is in game then the title surely goes to SO4. IT is SE after all....

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Around the Network

A lot of this is an apples to oranges comparison, being that many of these games have drastically different technical challenges that need to be considered; for example, Little Big Planet is a 2.5D game which means that there is almost no occlusion culling required whereas Banjo Kazooie is a fully 3D game.

On top of that there are multiplatform games (Bioshock and Final Fantasy) in your list.

I know, they were to just further the graphical abilities of the consoles. Like I said in the OP (dont know if you read any of it) Bioshock was a tough one becuz it is now coming to PS3. As for the FF games at the bottom. That was mostly me comparing them to each other as many doent believe multiplat games take away from a game as if it were exclusive. That was put in there to prove it.

Greatness Awaits

I'm not pro in these kinds of stuffs,
but anyway,thanks for all of the details information that you've provided,bro.

Soriku said:
forevercloud3000 said:
I know, they were to just further the graphical abilities of the consoles. Like I said in the OP (dont know if you read any of it) Bioshock was a tough one becuz it is now coming to PS3. As for the FF games at the bottom. That was mostly me comparing them to each other as many doent believe multiplat games take away from a game as if it were exclusive. That was put in there to prove it.

Bull. Those shots came long before FF XIII was planned for the 360. Heck, the 360 version of FF XIII hasn't even STARTED yet. Those are PS3 shots. Versus XIII just looks better for whatever reason. The "FF XIII going to look worse on PS3 because it's now on 360! NOOOOOOOOOOZZZZ!" posts are stupid.

Watch it, Soriku. Logic has no place in this forum.

Around the Network

I have a really big problem with that gears of war 2 image. that image is not in game.
these are in-game images of Gears Of war 2.

as you can see. theres a really big dif between th screens.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14232680/gears-of-war-2/images/gears-of-war-2-20080625074326627.html

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14232680/gears-of-war-2/images/gears-of-war-2-20080625074328736.html

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14232680/gears-of-war-2/images/gears-of-war-2-20080625074336814.html

Soriku said:
forevercloud3000 said:

Bull. Those shots came long before FF XIII was planned for the 360. Heck, the 360 version of FF XIII hasn't even STARTED yet. Those are PS3 shots. Versus XIII just looks better for whatever reason. The "FF XIII going to look worse on PS3 because it's now on 360! NOOOOOOOOOOZZZZ!" posts are stupid.

FFXIII

First pic-before multiplat anounced, looks equal to versus

Second pic-after anouncement, does not look as good as versus

do you see my point? How does that not PROVE it? The game has been downgraded, even if slightly visible, i hate it never the less.

Greatness Awaits

Banjo may be better compared with Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction

http://www.worthplaying.com/kiwi_popup.php?img=press/262/RnCFuture_WoD_060.jpg

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

forevercloud3000 said:
Soriku said:
forevercloud3000 said:

FFXIII

First pic-before multiplat anounced, looks equal to versus

Second pic-after anouncement, does not look as good as versus

do you see my point? How does that not PROVE it? The game has been downgraded, even if slightly visible, i hate it never the less.

You even suggested that the second picture could be worse because of the scan. So, no, it definitely does not prove it.

MikeB said:
Banjo may be better compared with Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction

http://www.worthplaying.com/kiwi_popup.php?img=press/262/RnCFuture_WoD_060.jpg

Another shot:

http://www.worthplaying.com/kiwi_popup.php?img=press/245/RatchetnClank_ToD_04.jpg

A very pretty looking game and sections of the game show an amazing amount of activity on screen at once, this combined with fast firing weapons, enless amounts of bolts flying around, etc at the time of release probably the most impressive PS3 game.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales