By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - PC gaming is a real pain

MikeB said:
@ vlad321

unparalleled control

Maybe when using Linux but I don't quite agree. Windows locks out and hides too much control from the power user (MacOS is no better). If just one critical file is corrupt, For instance some months ago I was forced into a complete Windows reinstall, while in the past I would just boot up my OS from CD and replace the file manually.

OSX is loads better if you know what you're doing (and if you don't you shouldn't be messing with important things anyway).  If you know what you're doing you can use Terminal and many other programs in the utility folder to directly interface with the UNIX kernel.  You can use the root directory, change file structures...you can do just about anything just like Linux.  Yes the normal OS is not as open (but its also much more stable, the trade off), but for power users there is MORE then enough to do.  You can in fact use any Linux program on OSX if you know how to do the permissions and installs correctly, OSX can use any UNIX program just fine with the right approach.  I use a UNIX UPnP media server program to interface with my PS3 for instance and it works great.  The OSX as a closed system thats not easily modified is a myth, that's Vista you're thinking of.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Around the Network
NintendoTogepi said:

Upgrading, installing, installation errors, non-compatible drivers, glitches, patches, reinstalling, key codes etc.

I wish all of the good games weren't on PC.

Handhelds and consoles are a thousand times hassle free. I wish I didn't love simulation games and prefer mouse & keyboard by far, but I do :(

Anyone else find PC gaming a pain? I hate that it has all the good games.

take some computer classes, sounds more like you are having issues brought on by human error. I have been building my own computers since I was 8, like the one I am typing this on, and never had any problems, once I learned what all the parts and systems were and how they interacted. 

If it really bugs you then just buy pre made computers, use them for two years and trade them in for a new one, some companies at least used to have programs like that.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

vlad321 said:
^ you forget the fact our RPGs are more complex and the fact that a screen running 1600x1200 or 1920x1200 resolution is in fact running 1200p in terms of HD. Much more HD than the crappy 1080p screens they have out right now. I watch movies on my laptop since they look so damn sharp and crisp.

1200p is an absolute joke!  You would need about an 80" TV or larger for your eye to see a difference over 1080p (even that would be minimal).

Movies on my 1080p 46" look just as good as your 19" monitor, and I don't need glasses to see the small screen.

^ Abou the same difference between a 480 and a 720, yet i Still see console fanboys like yourself flaming the Wii for the 480. Irony or just pure idiocy? Also, my 21" probably cost me about 1/10th of what your 46" did, and maybe less. TVs are a waste of money as far as I'm concerned, no good use for them other than playing a console.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

I'm stand corrected, 21".  Still tiny.  You can sit at your desk all you want, normal people watch tv, movies etc. and do it sitting in there favorite chair.  If you spent 1/10th on your monitor as I spent on my TV, you have a crappy monitor. 

If you had a larger screen you would know there is a noticable difference in 480p(HD wannabe), 720p(almost there) and 1080p(full HD)

Around the Network
kjj4t9rdad said:

I'm stand corrected, 21". Still tiny. You can sit at your desk all you want, normal people watch tv, movies etc. and do it sitting in there favorite chair. If you spent 1/10th on your monitor as I spent on my TV, you have a crappy monitor.

If you had a larger screen you would know there is a noticable difference in 480p(HD wannabe), 720p(almost there) and 1080p(full HD)

Heh.

Not with a high quality computer monitor.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Play a computer game at 640x480, 1024x768, and 1680x1050 (about the same as 480, 720, and 1080p), and you'll see a HUGE difference, and it doesn't have to be a monitor larger than 21". The native resolution of a 24" monitor is 1920x1200, and you will definitely notice a decrease in quality if you play games in anything less than its native resolution.

You learned something today.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
kjj4t9rdad said:

I'm stand corrected, 21". Still tiny. You can sit at your desk all you want, normal people watch tv, movies etc. and do it sitting in there favorite chair. If you spent 1/10th on your monitor as I spent on my TV, you have a crappy monitor.

Heh.

Not with a high quality computer monitor.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Play a computer game at 640x480, 1024x768, and 1680x1050 (about the same as 480, 720, and 1080p), and you'll see a HUGE difference, and it doesn't have to be a monitor larger than 21". The native resolution of a 24" monitor is 1920x1200, and you will definitely notice a decrease in quality if you play games in anything less than its native resolution.

You learned something today.

Counter-Strike (1.6) is a good example of this. There's MASSIVE aliasing at the lowest resolution and the hud takes up the most space on screen comared to much less aliasing and the hud taking up much less space at the highest resolution.

you do know both HD consoles have Keyboard and or mouse support right?

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Wow I haven't posted on this one yet. Thought I did.

Anyway yeah. Unless its an MMORPG, I hate screwing around with the PC Versions and would rather game them on console. OH an RTS too, FPS depends on the game.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

This whole topic feels like It's nintendotogepi's confession that they suck at PC gaming/building/maintenance. I have never seen a console version of a game be better than it's PC counterpart.

Can love bloom on the battlefield?                 Proud supporter of this gen!!!