By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Official Playstation 3 Updates Thread

Every time the Playstation 3 has a new update I will edit the page to that update, discuss if you like, here's 3.60

System changes System security has been improved.

Allows PlayStation Plus subscribers to store up to 150 MB or 1000 game save data files online, whichever comes first. This does not exclude 'copy-prohibited game data'. Such data is restorable once every 24 hours.

Now allows a choice of 10, 20, or 30 minute power save feature for automatically turning off controller.

Changed Friends List sorting.

3.55 and below

System changes

3.50 and below

System changes

3.42 and below

System changes

3.41 and below:

Network changes

3.40 and below

Settings changes

Network changes

Photo changes

Video changes

System changes

Update 3.30 below

System changes

• Trophy enhancements– Trophy viewing has been improved, with new categories that can be ascending or descending.
  • Trophy Folder (Title List) can be sorted by game title according to the date when the last trophy was earned.
  • Add-on list (Group list) can now also be sorted by the date when the last trophy was earned.
  • Trophy list can be sorted by trophy name, grade (e.g. platinum), or date of obtaining the trophy.
  • Hidden trophies are now labelled as "Hidden Trophy" instead of "???".
  • System preparation for 3D features for Sony's upcoming Bravia 3D-compatible televisions.
  • Media changes

• Added TVNZ ondemand shortcut for users in New Zealand under [TV]
  • In the Australia and Ireland PlayStation Store there is now a video delivery services.

Update 3.21 below

System changes

• The [Install Other OS] and [Default System] features have been deleted.
  • PS2 playback back fully improved for PS3 older models 1st gen.
  • Other changes

• The playback quality of some PlayStation® format software that is downloaded (as a purchase or for free) from PlayStation®Store has been improved.
  • A security patch was added to address security vulnerabilities that may occur when playing MP4 format video files.
  • Update 3.15 and below

• Bluetooth sync issues fixed
    • Trophy syncing issue resolved
    • PSP Minis now playable on the PS3 (starting December 17th all PSP minis will be playable on the PS3, for now you must go to your download list and re-download any previously purchased PSP minis for them to function on the PS3)
    • XBM Icon Added – Minis Save Data Icon
    • LAN Data Transfer Utility
    • 1. Turn both the current PS3 (A) and new PS3 (B) on and connect them with a LAN cable; PS3 (A) should be connected to the TV. Please note, firmware (v3.15) must be installed on both systems.
      2. On the XMB of PS3 (A), scroll to the Settings category and select [System Settings] and then [Data Transfer Utility]
      3. Follow the instructions on-screen and transfer data
      4. After transferring the data, follow the instructions on-screen, and then connect PS3 (B) to the TV to view the XMB
      5. If content that was downloaded from PlayStation Store was transferred as part of this operation, you must activate PS3 (B) before you can use the data. Log in to the PS3 system as the user who owns the content, and then select (PlayStation Network) > (Account Management) > (System Activation) to activate the system.

The rest is 3.10 and below

System changes

• Added the ability to access some Facebook features from the XMB.
    • Added the option to automatically send updates to the user's Facebook profile when Trophies are unlocked.
    • Added the option to automatically send updates to the user's Facebook profile when items are downloaded from the PlayStation Store.
    • Added the option to automatically send updates to the user's Facebook profile for in-game events (in compatible games)
    • The [Friends] list has been redesigned.
    • The user is now able to change the color of their [Profile].

Media changes

• Expanded [Photo] folders and playlists are now displayed in a grid, rather than a list.
    • Added RTVE, Antena 3 and LaSexta catch-up TV website shortcuts for users in Spain under [TV].
    • Added NOS catch-up TV website shortcut for users in the Netherlands under [TV].
    • Added AXN and Animax catch-up TV website shortcuts for users in Czech, Poland, Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania and Slovakia under [TV].
    • Added TVNZ catch-up TV website shortcut for users in New Zeland under [TV].

Settings changes

• Added [Facebook] menu item under [Account Management] allowing the user to change Facebook sharing and account settings.
    • Improved the performance of the Internet Browser

"SCEA is aware of reports that PS3 owners are experiencing isolated issues with their PS3 system since installing the most recent system software update (v3.00). Rest assured that we are looking into the matter and will provide an update here as soon as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience, as it’s our mission to deliver [...]"

So 3.01 should just fix any problems people had with 3.0.

The rest is 3.0

"Hi everyone, PlayStation 3 (PS3) firmware update (v3.00) adds a number of great new features that we’re excited to share with you. The latest update incorporates changes that improve navigation on your PS3. First, you’ll notice some cosmetic changes to the design of the XMB (Xross Media Bar). We’ve enhanced the look and feel of the XMB so that it’s easier and even more intuitive to use. We’ve also added network improvements and personalization options to help enhance your PS3 experience."

Additional highlights from update 3.00 include:

• “What’s New” – The “Information Board” will be replaced with a “What’s New” section, which allows you to enjoy interactive PlayStation news every time you start the PS3 system. Located under the PlayStation Network icon, “What’s New” displays the latest and greatest game, video, PlayStation Network and PlayStation news and releases, as well as your recently played games, in a sleek, new animated format.
    • Status Indicator – In the top right corner we’ve added an indicator bar, which displays your user icon, friend icon, the number of friends you have online and a small message icon to let you know if you have any new messages. The indicator also includes a scrolling ticker that features the latest news from PlayStation Network. In addition, when you press the PS button, the battery life indicator will no longer cover up the clock.
    • Friends List – Now your PlayStation Network friends will appear in a slightly redesigned format on your Friends List. Also, messages will now be viewable from each of your friends’ respective profiles.
    • PlayStation Store Shortcuts – We’ve added a handy shortcut icon to the PlayStation Store under both the Game and Video categories so you can access the latest content quickly and easily.
    • Personalization – Personalize your PS3 with new dynamic custom themes and avatars. Dynamic themes as well as free and premium avatars will be available through PlayStation Store. A dynamic theme takes your screen to a whole new level as it incorporates animated objects into the background.
    • Trophies – Showcasing your hard earned trophies just got better. Update 3.00 gives game developers the ability to modify how they display trophies for add-on content. Base and add-on game trophies will continue to be combined into a single list so you can see where you stand in a game as a whole. Within that list, trophies will be broken out into subcategories—base trophies and add-on trophies—that way, you can easily view the percentage of your base game trophy collection, and separately track your trophy progress in add-on packs. Look for this enhancement to be included in upcoming games.

To get a preview of what’s coming in update 3.00, check out the video below:

We’re looking forward to releasing firmware update 3.00 soon. As always, we appreciate your feedback.

PSBlog

If you want to see any other previous updates just ask and I will deliver.

Since I don't want the OP to be extremely long I'll start over with 3.0 and post all updates right up until 4.0 then I'll start over again, but don't worry I'll put all the 2.0 updates below.

Around the Network

Cool, any ideas when the next update is due?

^ haven't heard any news yet but I'll get back to you as soon as I hear something

Hmmm.. was wondering if a thread like this was ever coming. I was thinking about making one.

4 ≈ One

Dgc1808 said:
    Hmmm.. was wondering if a thread like this was ever coming. I was thinking about making one.

Yeh I was surprised to see that nobody else made a thread like this, so I found it to be my sworn duty to make this thread lol

Around the Network

nicely done and organized Gilgamesh!

Yes, looks very nice. I don't know why they don't display release notes similar to this right before installing the update...but no matter, I'll just come here to find out what happens now. Can a mod sticky this?

Well...Do what you want, anyways good idea.

New update 2.43, it's no big deal for anyone outside of Japan all it does is supports the release of video rental content for Japan.

nice & useful thread....I hope its sticky'd

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey