By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft supply issues in Japan(no more 360's till september)

Picko said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
patjuan32 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Clever girl. That was genius. Build up the demand for the product and let it burst during the moment you drop the price of the console. This is the same concept Nintendo used in the US.

What are you talking about?

I'm talking about holding back whatever demand is left in Japan, until September when the 360 price drops. MS most likely will commercialize it to hell with the price drop and boast JRPG's (Even though timed exclusives). In simplistic terms, think about overly expanding Japan's balloon with hype and allowing the anticipation to weld up before it bursts until September when they ship the models to Japan. September is the month of the price drop, so it is the perfect time to give the Japanese a treat of this magnitude.

So basically they will hold back units now so they can sell them at a lower price later and make less money? Clever plan. I'll let you work out for yourself where the plan stops making sense.

Stop complaining about a shortage that will only last 2 weeks. Since when wasn't it logical past the 3rd year of a consoles lifespan to drop price so that the majority of customers who game can afford it? That will boost console sold and sales. No matter how many consoles Microsoft sells world-wide they will have to watch how many they sold compared to the rest in Japan. Japan is the most unsure customer out of the big 3.

Around the Network

wow. This is terrible...they cant supply 10,000 systems to an entire country per week? MSFT fails hard at this spin.

They better get a huge shipment before IU launches...

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Picko said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
patjuan32 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Clever girl. That was genius. Build up the demand for the product and let it burst during the moment you drop the price of the console. This is the same concept Nintendo used in the US.

I'm talking about holding back whatever demand is left in Japan, until September when the 360 price drops. MS most likely will commercialize it to hell with the price drop and boast JRPG's (Even though timed exclusives). In simplistic terms, think about overly expanding Japan's balloon with hype and allowing the anticipation to weld up before it bursts until September when they ship the models to Japan. September is the month of the price drop, so it is the perfect time to give the Japanese a treat of this magnitude.

So basically they will hold back units now so they can sell them at a lower price later and make less money? Clever plan. I'll let you work out for yourself where the plan stops making sense.

Stop complaining about a shortage that will only last 2 weeks. Since when wasn't it logical past the 3rd year of a consoles lifespan to drop price so that the majority of customers who game can afford it? That will boost console sold and sales. No matter how many consoles Microsoft sells world-wide they will have to watch how many they sold compared to the rest in Japan. Japan is the most unsure customer out of the big 3.

And yet your argument still doesn't make any sense. No one said it wasn't logical to drop the price of a good. I certainly didn't.

I said your argument didn't make sense because it doesn't. Microsoft cannot make itself financially better off by holding back stock, it's mathematically impossible - which is why your point doesn't make sense.

For the record, the only time holding back stock makes sense is when you can increase your price substantially due to low supply. Given this doesn't happen with consoles then it never makes any sense.

Debating with fanboys, its not
all that dissimilar to banging ones
head against a wall 

wonder how sales will go for next month...

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
They better get a huge shipment before IU launches...

No doubt.  IU could make a decent boost for 360 sales in Japan.

Picko said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Picko said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
patjuan32 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

And yet your argument still doesn't make any sense. No one said it wasn't logical to drop the price of a good. I certainly didn't.

I said your argument didn't make sense because it doesn't. Microsoft cannot make itself financially better off by holding back stock, it's mathematically impossible - which is why your point doesn't make sense.

For the record, the only time holding back stock makes sense is when you can increase your price substantially due to low supply. Given this doesn't happen with consoles then it never makes any sense.

Microsoft Corp. is not out to make money.

They are still shipping the arcade and elite, the pro(60 GB?) won't be available till September

Picko said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Picko said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
patjuan32 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I said your argument didn't make sense because it doesn't. Microsoft cannot make itself financially better off by holding back stock, it's mathematically impossible - which is why your point doesn't make sense.

Thats a basic rule in economics Picko and while it makes sense, i am thinking about what Nintendo had done. They had a backed up stock and extremely high demand. They kept the price low because with videogames the median price (Safe zone) seems to be $300-399. Anything below that will attract the lower income to middle class whom are the majority of the gaming market. They made sure all stores were sold out for the longest. Microsoft will raise the amount of consoles AFTER the price drop, while they let the anticipation build. This way they can have a smooth 4th quarter. With videogames a back up doesn't hurt a hot item. It actually makes it more appealing, because people can't touch it. Remember as well that they have the timed exclusivity on the hottest JRPG's, so a price drop in September succession to that isn't a bad thing to seal the deal. It's like a one two punch (Kinda like...hmmmm MGS4 and the PS3 price drop?). Giving them enough time to commercialize. I know you don't see the beauty in it, but I do.

OMG another epic spin of m$.

24k they are outsold... oh poor m$ :(.