By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony on PS3: You're "paying for potential"

God bless you Steinburg

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network
papflesje said:
I liked what Jack Tretton said during the E3, since it was more or less just normal talk.

All these other sony chiefs need to shut up and let 1 person do the talking, so that they don't all just start out-macho'ing each other...

Come on now, that speech from the jack-meister was far from "normal talk".

Burgles said:
papflesje said:
I liked what Jack Tretton said during the E3, since it was more or less just normal talk.

All these other sony chiefs need to shut up and let 1 person do the talking, so that they don't all just start out-macho'ing each other...

Come on now, that speech from the jack-meister was far from "normal talk".

I'm pretty sure he means all the things Tretton said outside the conference, you know, all the little things we were appluading him for..?

I support the PS3 but I don't like all these Sony execs bullshit.

Show something to us, the people who paid you to keep you in the business.

amp316 said:
So this is like when a kid is drafted in the first round in the NBA and is guaranteed a lot of money. Okay. Now it all makes sense and I will get a PS3 today.

Hopefully the PS3 doesn't turn in to Ed O'Bannon.

Paying for potential, lol. If we have to wait so long to see it's potential why did Sony release it when it did. Had Sony waited and released the PS3 later it would be living up to its potential now.

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

Around the Network
gebx said:
Holy #*$! !!!!

New AWESOME Sony Exclusive called "Potential" CONFIRMED!!

Sony - End of Year School Report

Effort - C-

Attainment - C

Conclusion, Sony has demonstrated lots of potential in class, however, he seems to have trouble applying himself and is easily distracted by his fellow peers.

I'm afraid given Sony's lack of effort and determination in maximising his potential until now. I'm going to have to FAIL the little bugger. I know Sony won't be happy with this, I'm afraid however that actions speak louder than words and Sony has had the best part of 2 years to pull his socks up.

The word that best describes consumers who buy hardware under this mantra is gullible. Unfortunately there seem to be over ten million gullible gamers out there that are not only gullible enough to fall for this ploy, but believe this is the way it is supposed to be wholeheartedly. They actually believe they should buy a product and wait two years for results. This is more about appealing to faith rather then appealing on a rational basis.

Well the strategy seems to work for Sony, because there seem to be millions of people that think this is good enough reason to buy the hardware. Not that Sony had or has a lot of good arguments for their hardware. Ten years is not a good argument rationally speaking, because by the time year six rolls around someone can buy the console and get the potential that actually arrived for less then two hundred dollars.

There is an aphorism to describe why this marketing strategy works. There's a sucker born every minute. That is over five hundred thousand suckers born a year. I think Sony is finding more then its fair share. Then again the worlds population increased many fold since that statement was first uttered.

I am not criticizing Sony's marketing strategy. When life hands you lemons make lemonade. When you have no actual merit turn the lack of merit into a promise of potential. Which seems to have worked. They have sold a more expensive piece of hardware with the least game support, and somehow have managed to thrive. Even the mantra has been taken up by the owners.

We read their posts everyday about the PS3. How it will have all these things at some point in the future. Even though everyone has it better now they firmly believe that some day they will have it better, and all that hard earned money they spent will somehow be worth it. Even though for those who purchased the console on day one that will most certainly never be the case. They spent more then they had to, and they have had to wait a long time for their first really good exclusive. Meanwhile everyone else was playing and having lots of fun. To me that victory sounds cavernously hollow.

Wow.

I know it's a race to post any kind of negative Sony quote whenever it happens but damn! This was quick.

It's like some sort of magnet.

Though, I've never understood the point of posting it. I mean, we've been doing it forever, and nothing ever changes. PR has always been stupid, I don't know why anyone posts it though, not like it's gonna change.

:/

A year ago you were paying for potential, but I think now, with games that (according to reviews) look better on the ps3 than 360 (like DMC4, Burnout, GTA4, madden 09, soul calibur 4, etc) your getting some of that potential.

Of course how much its worth to have slightly better graphics now is arguable.

We will have to see if the spread of graphic quality increases between the 360 and PS3. Of course by that time I bet MS will release a new system that is far superior to the ps3 (late '09/early '10)?

I wonder if this thread is pro or anti Sony. Because paying for potential has always been a hard jab toward the PS3. The only potential of the millions that were promised that was delivered is MGS4.