By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 10 new Metroid Prime 3 Screens- Hot.

Cursayer2 said:

How is anyone arguing about how Metroid should have multiplayer a flawed argument? It worked well with Metroid Prime: Hunters, and with the Wii's capabilities, it could be better (Please take note of the word "could" here before you start attacking me). Metroid may be classified under the "adventure" genre, but it's still more similar to Halo than Zelda, because both have similar gameplay elements. Both are in a first-person perspective, utilize guns, and take place in a sci-fi era.

I'm sorry, did you even bother clicking those links? I guess not, so here let me break it down:

Metroid Prime: Game sells 2.77 million copies and scores a 96.3%, is a critical (3rd highest ranked game of all time on gamerankings) and commercial success.

Metroid Prime 2: Multiplayer is added. Single player is just as good as the previous (IMO better, but we'll avoid opinions) and because of the bad multiplayer, the game scores worse than the first, despite a great single player experience. This game only sells 1.24 million copies, scoring a 92.2% on Gamerankings. Making it somewhat of a critical and commercial success, but a serious decline from it's previous version.

Metroid Prime Hunters: Online Multiplayer is added. Single player suffers, making only decent multi and single player gameplay. The game scores an 85.2% on Gamerankings, and only sells .62 million copies worldwide on a system with twice the userbase...

Is it just me or, logically, is it a bad idea to have multiplayer in Metroid Prime? please tell me if this logic is off.

Around the Network

It's not bad to have multiplayer in Prime if Nintendo or Retro Studios puts a large amount of effort into both to present a good experience overall. Hunters had a lackluster single player, which weighed sales down. Multiplayer is really only a bonus to games, not an integral part of them. Having it is a good thing, but if it's concentrated on to the point where it affects the single player, it's better off without.

Cursayer2 said:
It's not bad to have multiplayer in Prime if Nintendo or Retro Studios puts a large amount of effort into both to present a good experience overall. Hunters had a lackluster single player, which weighed sales down. Multiplayer is really only a bonus to games, not an integral part of them. Having it is a good thing, but if it's concentrated on to the point where it affects the single player, it's better off without.

Well, in all fairness Retro didn't make Hunters, which is one of the reasons it didn't really feel like a metroid game, but anyway let's just end this with agreeing to disagree.

Honestly, people souldnt complain about this. In my opinion, an online shooter should let you be realistic, pulling headshots, thorwing grenades, etc. Metroid isn`t fit to do that, which is basic in an online shooter. Will it lose some sales?
Yes, it will, because some PC gamers may be interested but turned off because of the lack. But honestly, I think it is a lot better that they get the controls perfect, and offer a game that can rival and maybe beat some of the other big games, like Bioshock. That way, many other devs will realize how good can a FPS be on Wii, and then fill the online multiplayer gap with their own effort. Putting online on it would have required more time, and less focus on getting the game perfect.

You know, I just noticed how good Metroid Prime 3 looks compared to its predecessors... better textures, more detail in the environments and armor (those space pirates look amazing and that new suit is great), and less restricted environments.

Around the Network

Yes, and the bloom lighting is a massive improvement.

naznatips said:

Oh, bleh... I'm a graphics whore and I usually end up turning of light bloom if I can.  It always makes things look less real to me.  (Maybe I have something wrong with my eyes and I'm supposed to see light in blobs.)

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

Andir said:
naznatips said:

Oh, bleh... I'm a graphics whore and I usually end up turning of light bloom if I can. It always makes things look less real to me. (Maybe I have something wrong with my eyes and I'm supposed to see light in blobs.)

Well keep in mind Metroid Prime has a surreal art style.  The bloom lighting really adds to that sureal effect.  I don't want it to look super-realistic, that's not the style.  Of course I want them to push the graphics on it as much as possible, but I never want them to break away from the art style of previous games.

The screens look nice and I'm more interested in the game after seeing them.

While I don't care about multiplayer, a little online co-op would be welcomed. Co-op never gets old.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
The screens look nice and I'm more interested in the game after seeing them.

While I don't care about multiplayer, a little online co-op would be welcomed. Co-op never gets old.

I agree that if they added any sort of multiplayer co-op would have been the way to go.  I'd still like to see downloadable weapons and armor if they could do it.  It would be pretty awesome.