By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Madden 09 for Wii bombs, will EA drop the "All Play" Gimmick?

bdbdbd said:
@bbsin: I don't do bets. I prefer coming back here next year and mocking the one who was wrong.

I don't know the 07 numbers, but considering that Wii propably has at least 8 million lead after a year in americas and even bigger when we combine americas and others. PS2 is dying, so i wouldn't expect high numbers for it either.
A number of Wii60 and PSWii owners are going to get the Wii version for "call your shots", despite possibly owning the other version before the Wii version.

Ignorance is bliss. Either way, I'm welcome for the bet if you have the balls (OR ANYONE) to call me on it.

I look at it like this:

-The 360 version of madden 07 sold 2.32 million

-The Wii version of madden 07 sold the worse for consoles at .78 million

-The game have not been marketed as a Wii game since all commercials are either 360 or PS3

-Madden is typically a game for hardcore gamers since... forever, this is the first time they changed the title to appeal to children.

-For the Wii to "steal" the dying PS2 sales on madden to pass the 360's, it would have to take about 1.5 million of the sales away from the fans that are accustomed to playing the non-casual Madden.

-The core NFL audience are adults.

Now honestly, do you REALLY, think the Wii version of Madden 09 can outsell the 360's? do you? DO YOU? REALLY?

Around the Network
psrock said:
Onimusha12 said:
Valkyria00 said:
Will you shut up! No sales figures or anythings even in. Stop bashing the damn wii version you idiot.

Easy there skittles, I want the Wii version to do the best of any of them, I just don't see it happening given EA's lack of vision and the market as it is.

How do you blame EA if this game doesnt sell on the wii? Frankly, at least they are trying and have now taken into focus how important the Wii development is to their success. If anything, maybe wii owners don't care for these types of games.

Says the avid Sony fanboy.

Considering EA is 95 million dollars in the hole as of the first quarter, I think its fair to assume their business sense isn't exactly the best.

@bbsin

It could if it was created to be like the 360 version with the obvious differences in minimal graphical quality and controls. Everything else could easily stay the same and be advertised the same.

Groucho said:

Um... guys I hate to break it to ya, but annual sports games aren't about "having legs".

If Wii Madden doesn't go flying off the shelves at the same rate as the 360 version, in the first few weeks before American Football season really gets rolling, chances are its not going to catch up before Madden 2010 comes out.

That being said, despite history implying that Wii Madden will likely "bomb", its not cool to post that its already bombed before we even know the 1st week's numbers. I sincerely doubt that it could really "bomb" in any case -- it was probably dirt cheap to downport to the Wii, from the development platform (PS3/360) versions.

You're assuming that the Wii sells by the same rules as the HD consoles. It really doesn't.

Just look at Madden '08 sales patterns.

360:

http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=7106&region=All

Overall sales: 2.32 million

1st week: 711k

% of overall sales in 1st week: 30.6%

Wii:

http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=7178&region=All

Overall sales: 0.78 million

1st week: 74k

% of overall sales in 1st week: 9.5%

Conclusion:

If the sales pattern for Madden '09 is the same on both platforms as it was for Madden '08, the Wii version can outsell the 360 version with launch week sales only a third as large as 360's.

I'm not saying that this is what is going to happen, I just want people to understand that Wii sales patterns are hugely different from those of the HD consoles. Week one looks like a bomb, and months later it's right up there with the other platforms.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Onimusha12 said:
psrock said:
Onimusha12 said:
Valkyria00 said:
Will you shut up! No sales figures or anythings even in. Stop bashing the damn wii version you idiot.

Easy there skittles, I want the Wii version to do the best of any of them, I just don't see it happening given EA's lack of vision and the market as it is.

How do you blame EA if this game doesnt sell on the wii? Frankly, at least they are trying and have now taken into focus how important the Wii development is to their success. If anything, maybe wii owners don't care for these types of games.

Considering EA is 95 million dollars in the hole as of the first quarter, I think its fair to assume their business sense isn't exactly the best.

Seriously, prove to me that i am an avid Sony fanboy., and thank you too.

Anyway, they have invested more into the wii than most other Developers out there. They even came out and said so. Your problem is, you see the wii as the ps2, it's not. It will sell better, but it wont ever get that kind of support.

from gamespot :

Taking questions from the audience, Riccitiello was asked about several years of less-than-stellar performance on the stock market. He responded first by saying that the company is aligned behind the goal of driving shareholder value, but acknowledged that the company could have better handled the recent transition between console generations.

"[This transition has been] harder because of the complexity," Riccitiello said, "and harder because unfortunately, we bet a little bit on the wrong horse in focusing so much on the PS3 and Xbox 360, and to a lesser degree on the Wii. And let me assure you that almost all of us in the industry made the same judgment. So after so many transitions of guessing exactly right, we got this one a little bit wrong and we're dealing with that now with strong investments on the Wii."

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network

So just because annonymous dude said Madden 09 Bomb it's going to be truth..... no thanks I'll wait for the official numbers.

@alfredofroylan2, its more that history of sales, show that it should do poorly... at best i think it can out sell the ps3 version this year.

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Kasz216 said:
Munkeh111 said:
What is the actual difference between the games? Is the Wii version just a dumbed down one?

Quite the opposite. The HD version is kinda the dumbed down one.

Only thing the Wii version is missing apparently is online flex leagues.

It's still got online play... and i imagine you could still do leagues via website... but you don't have the server keeping the records.

How is the HD version the dumbed down version?!?!

Currently Playing:

PS4 - Killzone:SF and Assasins Creed 4

XBox One: BF4, CoD:Ghosts, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5

Changing channels with my voice: priceless!!!

psrock said:
Onimusha12 said:
psrock said:
Onimusha12 said:
Valkyria00 said:

Seriously, prove to me that i am an avid Sony fanboy., and thank you too.

Anyway, they have invested more into the wii than most other Developers out there. They even came out and said so. Your problem is, you see the wii as the ps2, it's not. It will sell better, but it wont ever get that kind of support.

from gamespot :

Taking questions from the audience, Riccitiello was asked about several years of less-than-stellar performance on the stock market. He responded first by saying that the company is aligned behind the goal of driving shareholder value, but acknowledged that the company could have better handled the recent transition between console generations.

"[This transition has been] harder because of the complexity," Riccitiello said, "and harder because unfortunately, we bet a little bit on the wrong horse in focusing so much on the PS3 and Xbox 360, and to a lesser degree on the Wii. And let me assure you that almost all of us in the industry made the same judgment. So after so many transitions of guessing exactly right, we got this one a little bit wrong and we're dealing with that now with strong investments on the Wii."

Your name is PSRock for god sakes and you frequently post in favor of Sony as one of their more infamous suporters.

So you admit they've been doing bad business by not supporting the Wii more? And agree this is what Wii support should be? Lol.

I'm not surprised ....the xbox360 version is the one most advertised. Hell I was watching the Madden Palooza ,Lettermen, ESPN, even Fox news they all showed the 360 game .