By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Here it is Folks! Why FFVII is one of the BEST GAMES EVAA!!!

Kasz216 said:
No... I replied to you... the things you mentioned weren't character development. They were flashbacks.

Character Development happens DURING the story. Not before it.

It goes both ways.  Things you didn't know about certain characters before change in front of you sometimes after flashbacks, as well as your perceptive.  You're playing the game that has the flashback, therefore it IS happening during the story.  Flashbacks can and generally will impact a character in a later time.  It doesn't have to necessarily effect them throughout the game, but if there is a change in their persona their character does.

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*

Around the Network
swyggi said:
Kasz216 said:
No... I replied to you... the things you mentioned weren't character development. They were flashbacks.

It goes both ways. Things you didn't know about certain characters before change in front of you sometimes after flashbacks, as well as your perceptive. You're playing the game that has the flashback, therefore it IS happening during the story. Flashbacks can and generally will impact a character in a later time. It doesn't have to necessarily effect them throughout the game, but if there is a change in their persona their character does.

I couldn't disagree more. After all... a LOT happens to them during the game... yet it doesn't seem to change any of them.

The fact that there characters change so readily in the past, yet don't change at all in the present in of itself is a problem. It's just lazy storytelling.

It reeks of someone who came up with the beggining and the ending before working out the middle... without thought of how getting from point A to point B would effect anyone.

Kasz216 said:
Yojimbo said:

Kasz216: I did not even have Gau and Shadow in the ending does not that make them unimportant/filler for many?

Not at all they both play important parts in the game.

Shadow is the only one in the party that can really emphathize with Terra.  Also Shadow has a profound effect on the way the characters Strago and Relm are looked at.   Also his part in the Floating Island would of been hardpressed to be replaced by someone else.

While Gau has the Rage command which is a completely unique and vastly different ability in battle.

I'm gonna message I dont want to spoil. :D

Kasz216 said:

The only character who you proved had any character development during the actual story was Caith Sith... who I said already had character development... but is annoying, and a completly useless character since he is unimportant in the terms of the overriding story and you don't need to use everybody.

He's pure filler. Which is another problem... most of these characters are filler.

Yuffie, Cait Sith and Red XIII were completely unneeded and really did little to advance the overarching story.

FF7 would of played out the same way if you were only Cloud, Barret, Aerith and Tifa.

Those other characters may as well be ignored or simply left out of the game since you don't need to use them for anything... and all the characters being basically the same give them no point in gameplay.

What RPG game doesnt have filler characters? VI has them too. Some characters usually hold little berring withthe actual story and are simply there to complement it. IX had a story where all characters enter into the main plot(a plus for IX) but the story is still a tad weak. Just becuz they all tie in doesnt mean the story is any better. Sometimes it is best if everyone doesn't have a key entry in the main plot.

The only characters worth a damn to the story of VI was EDGAR and  TERRA and CELES.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

forevercloud3000 said:

3. Amount of ppl killed does not make you any more heiness than the nxt person, but the manner you did it in does. Case in point.

• i killed a hundred ppl while I was in the military
  • i killed a 50 ppl in slow cold deaths as i took my time in dismembering there heads

Sephi killed Clouds love right in front of him while he was helpless to do anything. He even tried to make Cloud do it.

So, Jeffrey Dahmer is more evil than, say, Hitler. Good to know.

The dedication you show to any particular console or company is inversely proportional to the number of times you have gotten laid. If you get laid enough, even if you prefer a certain brand, you just don't give enough of a shit to argue about it on the internet.

Around the Network
forevercloud3000 said:
Kasz216 said:

The only character who you proved had any character development during the actual story was Caith Sith... who I said already had character development... but is annoying, and a completly useless character since he is unimportant in the terms of the overriding story and you don't need to use everybody.

He's pure filler. Which is another problem... most of these characters are filler.

Yuffie, Cait Sith and Red XIII were completely unneeded and really did little to advance the overarching story.

FF7 would of played out the same way if you were only Cloud, Barret, Aerith and Tifa.

Those other characters may as well be ignored or simply left out of the game since you don't need to use them for anything... and all the characters being basically the same give them no point in gameplay.

What RPG game doesnt have filler characters? VI has them too. Some characters usually hold little berring withthe actual story and are simply there to complement it. IX had a story where all characters enter into the main plot(a plus for IX) but the story is still a tad weak. Just becuz they all tie in doesnt mean the story is any better. Sometimes it is best if everyone doesn't have a key entry in the main plot.

The only characters worth a damn to the story of VI was EDGAR and TERRA and CELES.

If you believe that you didn't pay attention to the game.

There were 4 characters with no plot significane. Umaro, Gogo, Gau and Mog.

Of those Umaro Gogo and Gau all have different gameplay mechanics... and Mog started off the sensation that were Moogles... so I can give him a break.

I'd go and break it down... but the fact that you saw no plot significance to Locke makes me think it'd be lost on you for me to go through every single character.

I mean some consider Locke the main character.

So anyone who dare say that FFVII is not the best is a tad dilusional.

as you i also think this is the best rpg ever ( ill take it a step further and say best game ever) but youve left out so much of the game to love
the polotics >shinra corp
the dictator > rufus
the TURKSSSSSSS !!! OMG how could you have not mentioned them or that vincent was a former member !!!  rude reno tseng elena !!
the WEAPON/s !..  . . i literally $I-IAT my pants when they were introduce and explained in the game !!

and what the Fs her name ???berrets daughter  and so much more!!!

in conclusion im not dogging u ...im juss pointing out that it is so complex u cannot describe it in words ( books maybe) it is truly a masterpeice .

This thread is totally awesome.

It's almost as good as an entire thread of DTG just conversing with himself.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Kasz216 said:
swyggi said:
Kasz216 said:

It goes both ways. Things you didn't know about certain characters before change in front of you sometimes after flashbacks, as well as your perceptive. You're playing the game that has the flashback, therefore it IS happening during the story. Flashbacks can and generally will impact a character in a later time. It doesn't have to necessarily effect them throughout the game, but if there is a change in their persona their character does.

I couldn't disagree more. After all... a LOT happens to them during the game... yet it doesn't seem to change any of them.

The fact that there characters change so readily in the past, yet don't change at all in the present in of itself is a problem. It's just lazy storytelling.

It reeks of someone who came up with the beggining and the ending before working out the middle... without thought of how getting from point A to point B would effect anyone.

Cloud: He starts off as a mercenary that just wants to get a job done, later he cares about the people around him more and more, after the death of Aeris he learns of his true identity and becomes like an empty shell, but finally he gets a grasp on himself, digs down deep and frees himself of Sephiroth's control over his mind.

Barret: Noisy and rowdy at first, gets really angry after Biggs, Wedge and Jessie die.  Doesn't trust Cloud at first, but later starts to trust him wholeheartedly.  After the Dyne incident he's far less rowdy and more serious than he was during the beginning.  He begins to understand that he's not as clear cut of a leader as Cloud too, which he thinks he is closer to the beginning.

Tifa: She hides her feelings from Cloud and when Aeris comes into the picture you can see sparks of jealousy.  After she delves deep into Cloud's mind when you're trying to put the pieces together to Cloud's past she becomes more honest with her self and with Cloud. 

Red: Starts off very wise and quiet.  After the Seto storyline he's less quiet and more upbeat of a character full of pride and willing to lay his life on the line for Cosmo Canyon.  He gains pride as well from that incident

Alright, I'm tired of responding. The only thing that will get done in this thread is the sharing of opinions. But it's always good to do that just for the sake of talking discussion.