By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Key Weakness of the Wii - Graphic Capabilites?

kira hibiki said:
noname2200 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Actually the Jap divison just hate the Wii.

Yes and no. Their new president definitely favors the HD consoles over the Wii, as he himself has publicly said a few times. But I really don't think he "hates" the Wii: he just worked for Capcom during the Gamecube era, when working with Nintendo led to Capcom losing millions, so he's understandably a bit leery.

Apart from that, I do get the feeling that he personally wants to go the High-Def route, yes. But he (or at least Capcom as a whole) seem to be more than willing to put that feeling aside in the pursuit of the almighty dollar. I don't think Capcom's president is going to love working with the Wii, certainly not on the scale of Will Wright, Gabe Newell, et. al. But everything I've seen says he's perfectly willing to work with it, so long as it keeps his bottom line afloat.

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
kira hibiki said:
noname2200 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Actually the Jap divison just hate the Wii.

Yes and no. Their new president definitely favors the HD consoles over the Wii, as he himself has publicly said a few times. But I really don't think he "hates" the Wii: he just worked for Capcom during the Gamecube era, when working with Nintendo led to Capcom losing millions, so he's understandably a bit leery.

Apart from that, I do get the feeling that he personally wants to go the High-Def route, yes. But he (or at least Capcom as a whole) seem to be more than willing to put that feeling aside in the pursuit of the almighty dollar. I don't think Capcom's president is going to love working with the Wii, certainly not on the scale of Will Wright, Gabe Newell, et. al. But everything I've seen says he's perfectly willing to work with it, so long as it keeps his bottom line afloat.

The Gamecube was not the reason Capcom lost money. They were just spending too much money on their games. A couple included RE0 and RE4 (which did make a profit on the GC, but it was already going to be ported just in case), but others were some PS2 and Xbox games.

So that more had the effect or more multiplatform games since then. About their only exclusives are smaller budget games, like Zak & Wikki and RE UC (since it used the Re4 engine).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Granted, but Capcom gambled on the Gamecube, and it didn't pay off as much as they hoped and needed. Mind you I'm hardly blaming the Gamecube (1.5 million copies should be profitable, unless you really screwed up), but if you look at the situation from Capcom's perspective, they bet on Nintendo and came up short. It may not be rational, but it IS understandable why they might feel cautious towards Nintendo for a bit (and why some of the key employees who made that deal are no longer with Capcom, while their current president ascended to his current post).

i laugh at you guys,
PROFIT.
its what everybody wants, true that.
but everytime i see some producer put it game on a HD consoles, well its looks like you guys post something like "!OH it looks they dont wantz profitz!!!"

any good game can get profit no matter which console its is in.
unless you own STOCK market, you should not care about a company making huge profit (unless they are bleeding money and may disappear).

what a gamer should only care its getting good quality games on whatever system is in.

only a fanboy will bitch where studios put the games, most of us buy more than simply one console and enjoy the game.

Jo21, why do you care what others care about and enough to assert that they should not care about it anymore?

It's called opinion. Oh and by the way Flag Ship Games says hi.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Around the Network

Jo21, WOW! We REALLY needed your comment! /sarcasm.

Horribleb, that was a sad attempt to get at the site. Once you get jumped on and proven wrong, you then go at the entire site and it's main man, Wow, that was......stupid.

Jo21 said:
any good game can get profit no matter which console its is in.

I dunno about that...

Jo21 said:

what a gamer should only care its getting good quality games on whatever system is in.

I agree with this statement, actually. But...

Jo21 said:

unless you own STOCK market, you should not care about a company making huge profit (unless they are bleeding money and may disappear).

Here we begin to truly differ. I DO want companies to make high, even great profits, because that's the only way to ensure that they stick around for the long haul. A company with plenty in the coffers is also more likely to take a risk than one that's on the verge of bankruptcy, which again only benefits we gamers. No, it IS in our best interests that developers and publishers make bank off their games when feasible.

Then there's the part of your statement that I underlined.

That unfortunately has already been happening to far too many developers this generation, and it's threatening to suck in even more as time goes on. When even the massive giants like EA are posting losses despite having record revenue, we know there's trouble in gaming land. But I've already written extensively on this site about this subject. Here's the link I posted earlier in the thread, if you're interested: there are plenty more. And I'm far from the only one who's writing these; anyone who's paying attention to the financial records has noticed a violent downwards trend in our industry, a vaccuum that's hellbent on bringing down more and more developers. That trend must stop, for our own sakes.

Jo21 and Horrible, I swear, everytime we manage to get rid of a couple of trolls a few new ones show up to take their place. It's like a revolving turnstyle sometimes.

Though it is fun watching people trying to juggle the arguments of "well, graphics don't really matter" and "Wii needs better graphics".

@Jo21: Maybe people comment that, because the average HD title doesn't seem to sell that well in relation to what it cost to make.
And if we are talking about why the gamer should be worried, is because in order to keep games coming, they need to create profit for their developers. After the profit ends, so does the games. And when the games end, so does the industry.
Bad profits leads to shovelware first (by looking at the industrys revenue, there's a lot of money to be made if you can keep costs down), which eventually leads to crash, if no-one is able to save it before crashing.

@Onimusha: But those two things don't contradict each other, so there's nothing to juggle.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Again I issue the warning to those in this thread to stay respectful of your fellow posters. This is not a difficult task, but should you find it difficult I advise you not to post in this thread.

To Each Man, Responsibility