By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Carmack: Nintendo 'owns' Wii software

Meh, it's just that everything I saw from the Wii didn't impress me at all... I may have been wrong.

Around the Network

@Xen While most games do look worse than the BEST original xbox. That is more due to laziness of the developers. I'm sure we haven't seen the limit of the WIi yet, since consoles don't reach their limit until way at the end of a generation, and this is even more true since the only developers really pushing it graphically are Nintendo for now. I'll tell you what though. I bet super mario galaxy, and Metroid Prime 3 cannot run on any of the last generations in their current state, at anywhere close to the same framerate. Also the Wii graphics will impress you less than the Xbox's graphics because they were new then. The wii's graphics aren't really new. Its really art design I care about anyway, and actually think Metroid Prime 3 is one of the best looking games this generation despite it not being technically impressive compared to the HD console offerings.

Why do people always use the Galaxy and Smash promo images (which are never ingame) to support their opinion that the Wii is so much more powerful than last-gen games?

The third Galaxy image may be ingame the first two are not.

Kyros said:
Why do people always use the Galaxy and Smash promo images (which are never ingame) to support their opinion that the Wii is so much more powerful than last-gen games?

The third Galaxy image may be ingame the first two are not.

You see the life meter in the first one and I beleive its an ingame cutscene(with the same quality of ingame gameplay) after he gets a star. As for the second one you might be right. I could post FMVs from the game to compare if you want.  I could post more images that are undoubtfully ingame aswell.

i think a commander keen would do well on the wii ware channel

Around the Network

You see the life meter in the first one and I beleive its an ingame cutscene

No I believe its a target render (Remember Killzone2?)

Otherwise care to explain why images of the same level on ign look like that?

sc94597 said:
@Xen While most games do look worse than the BEST original xbox. That is more due to laziness of the developers. I'm sure we haven't seen the limit of the WIi yet, since consoles don't reach their limit until way at the end of a generation, and this is even more true since the only developers really pushing it graphically are Nintendo for now. I'll tell you what though. I bet super mario galaxy, and Metroid Prime 3 cannot run on any of the last generations in their current state, at anywhere close to the same framerate. Also the Wii graphics will impress you less than the Xbox's graphics because they were new then. The wii's graphics aren't really new. Its really art design I care about anyway, and actually think Metroid Prime 3 is one of the best looking games this generation despite it not being technically impressive compared to the HD console offerings.

I was quite impressed graphically by metroid, but it was really funny how similar the game felt to Halo in terms of graphical style. I also loved the look of Resident evil turkey shoot edition! xD

Tease.

The more shots of SMG I see the more impressed I am...

They need more of that.

Kyros said:

You see the life meter in the first one and I beleive its an ingame cutscene

No I believe its a target render (Remember Killzone2?)

Otherwise care to explain why images of the same level on ign look like that?

Seriously? That's very obviously poor scaling. If you can't see that, you're blind. I can assure you, from the fact that I've played SMG many many times, it looks far better than that. The scaling is perfectly smooth ingame.

Here's a few pics that demonstrate SMG better (although they're not scaled well either =/).

SW-5120-1900-6153

Maybe not Id will make Wii games, but the other company he fouded with his wife can. They released Orcs and Elves on DS and maybe they will do a Wii game