By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Carmack: Nintendo 'owns' Wii software

All that is Carmack trying to say is that his company makes games with top-notch graphics and poor gameplay. In order to have success on the Wii you need games with decent graphics and top-notch gameplay but id isn't making such games anymore.

Around the Network

This is now the third time I've posted this, but its useful for proving a point.

An example of Specular Highlights

An example of Specular Reflection

Before Applying Bump map After applying Bump map
^^Note how bump mapping is used to take advantage of specular highlights.

I also really liked their fur shaders....

I also wanted to point out that normal mapping is really nothing more than the proper application of bump maps. In essence a bump map is a heightmap (essentially a specialized texture) that is used to "change" the way the object is shaded. Typically to have amazing looking models you would need millions of polygons to get all of the detail required...the idea however is that with this extra texture you can impose the detail without the use of millions of polygons per model. I can't show you an in-game usage of normal mapping simply because when its done right you shouldn't be able to just tell from a screenshot. But I can give an example of what I mean:

In the bump mapping example I showed above with the orange here is what the heightmap looks like:

Model Before Bump Mapping
Heightmap to be used Result of Bump Mapping

Note all of these pictures are clearly in-game and I can verify that they look this good (actually a bit better) on a 46" 1080p LCD. You'll note that the pictures of GC and Xbox games are lacking the majority(all?) of these techniques.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Kyros said:
Why do people always use the Galaxy and Smash promo images (which are never ingame) to support their opinion that the Wii is so much more powerful than last-gen games?

The third Galaxy image may be ingame the first two are not.

Epid fail, they are all in game

scottie said:
Kyros said:
Why do people always use the Galaxy and Smash promo images (which are never ingame) to support their opinion that the Wii is so much more powerful than last-gen games?

The third Galaxy image may be ingame the first two are not.

Epid fail, they are all in game

One is both as it is a promo image (life circle divided in 6 parts) that is in game but it doesn't invalidate it being in engine as opposed to a FMV.

"I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

…. What I have learnt these days is that you shouldn’t convince/teach somebody who doesn’t want too be convinced ore taught (even though they show you they want)…. If these people hav eyes and a brain that tells them what they see and understand is wrong even though it is right then we cant change that… no mater how many images and spec numbers we show them they will never except the fact that the Wii is more capable then the Xbox…

Rant/

On topic never expected anything from these guys :P

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(