By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is second hand so expensive this generation?

Why is it that second hand products seems to fetch such a high price this generation? In previous generations if something was being sold as used it would cost at least half the price as the originals, heck most games were down to under 20 bucks within a year...But even launch games still sell for around 25-30 and second hand consoles usually sell for barely 50 dollars under new value. Why?

Around the Network

Technology and Demand. If P2P the price should be much lower. They shouldn't make the price so high, because there most likely isn't a warranty.

My guess is as follows:

Last gen, as you remember it, is 4-5 years into the generation.

The games from year 1 and 2 are now 15-20 dollars. Thus, the newer old games also get that price.

It will probably be like that for X360 in a year or two. Ps3 2-3 and for Wii it could take a lot more.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Because when you buy HD, you buy quality. That's why.

im gonna go with inflation on this one, although i do see the trend as well

Around the Network

Price of gaming in general went up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLhpUPNPIs

360 IS OPERATIONAL AFTER 37 DAYS!

i know what you mean, i always last gen used to pick up my titles used for about £10 after they had been out for a while. this time its just stupid.

a game thats been on shelfs for a while is still £37.98 as apposed to £39.99 new.

its ridiculus

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

15/26 of my 360 games were purchased for under $20. 5 of them were new and 9 of them were under $10

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Gamestation in the Uk do the best deals. Assassins creed for 14.99! And uncharted for 17.99! You cant beat it!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Prices stay high when there is demand. Buy at the high price -- games will remain at the high price. Wait -- and watch it either get lowered or sold out from under you. It is a tough choice.

In some instances, the original publisher never drops the price of the game and/or demand remains high. Why else would Pikmin 2 fetch $40 loose at Gamestop.

It does seem to take longer for prices to drop. But then again, if games sell, why drop the price.

Hopefully, a year from now, more games will be cheaper.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV