By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Who else thinks NPD will show a very different number than VGC (July)

colonelstubbs said:
As a Sony fan, im not impressed with the PS3 numbers from the last few weeks.

BUT

Moaning about the numbers being wrong isnt the way out of this. If we assume the PS3 numbers are wrong, how do we know the numbers from every previous week arent wrong? If thats the case, why are we even on a sales orientated site?

The numbers arent exact, but they sure as hell aint gonna be a mile off like some people are hoping

Well said sir, well said

Consoles Owned: Sega Genesis, NES, PS2 (RIP) N64, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii

"In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is rule."

~ Friedrich Nietzsche

Around the Network
ioi said:

It won't suprise me in the slightest if NPD are higher than us for PS3 this month by a few thousand, doesn't mean they're right.

No offense, but NPD is more credible than vgchartz and most people (including me) are much more likely to believe their numbers.

FilaBrasileiro said:
ioi said:

It won't suprise me in the slightest if NPD are higher than us for PS3 this month by a few thousand, doesn't mean they're right.

No offense, but NPD is more credible than vgchartz and most people (including me) are much more likely to believe their numbers.

I agree. While i do believe that ioi does a fairly decent job with numbers. From time to time his numbers have been off. NPD only reports on USA whilst VGC reports on NA. In June NPD reported PS3 numbers at 410,000 i think for USA alone compared to VGC which had PS3 numbers at 320,000 i think. More than 100k when you factor in NA.

I'm not saying that NPD is 100% correct, but it is more accurate and reliable. No offense ioi but i think alot of people would agree with me that you are undertracking the PS3 a fair bit lately and overtracking 360, at least in America.

That is all.

You missed the simple solution.

There are Ps3's in stores, but they're not being bought :P

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Gamer4eva said:
FilaBrasileiro said:
ioi said:

I agree. While i do believe that ioi does a fairly decent job with numbers. From time to time his numbers have been off. NPD only reports on USA whilst VGC reports on NA. In June NPD reported PS3 numbers at 410,000 i think for USA alone compared to VGC which had PS3 numbers at 320,000 i think. More than 100k when you factor in NA.

I'm not saying that NPD is 100% correct, but it is more accurate and reliable. No offense ioi but i think alot of people would agree with me that you are undertracking the PS3 a fair bit lately and overtracking 360, at least in America.

That is all.

What makes it more accurate?

A larger sample?  That isn't necessarily the solution when dealing with extrapolation.  If your missing a major discriminatory component it can throw the results way off because the larger sample will represent a less realistic representation. 

In this case missing a retailer like Wal Mart.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Around the Network

I don't see what is so hard to believe about ioi's claim?

Console hardware is sold at a very low margin, and when a company decides to reduce the price of their console it is likely that they will be forced to compensate their retailers in some way. After a new "Better" sku is introduced at the same price a company has to eliminate the old sku in some way, typically by lowering the price. As you can imagine it is in a company's benefit to have inventory as low as possible when introducing a new console sku.

Before Sony even announced the new sku it is likely that 40GB inventory in their Warehouses and in the Retail Chain was pretty minimal, with some stores (obviously) having a much larger inventory than others. As stores run out of stock they can't order more of theo 40GB because it is discontinued, the Metal Gear Solid bundle is being released in limited quantities, and the 80GB model is unavailable until later. These stores are (therefore) left with no PS3's for a couple weeks.

Now, when someone walks into a store and sees that a product like the PS3 is sold out there is (probably) a 50% to 66% chance that they will give up their search for the moment and wait for a couple weeks for a restocking ... Stores which are close to stores that are sold out will (likely) sell out fairly quickly themself due to spill-over sales, and after a person has checked the handful of stores close to his first choice it is highly likely that they will give up. What this means is a partial sell out will have an impact on the number of systems sold.

360 will easily win Julys NPD

I really hate to say... "I told you so"

but here's the July's number.

Nintendo DS--608,400
Wii--555,000
PlayStation 3--224,900
PlayStation Portable--221,700
Xbox 360--204,800
PlayStation 2--155,500

now... I'm no math major, but I sure don't see a sign of shortage on PS3.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

@ KoW

You told us so.

Every time the ps3 gets outsold by the 360 on vg it actually means the ps3 outsells the 360 for NPD. Good numbers all around for playstation.

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732