By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Who else thinks NPD will show a very different number than VGC (July)

Wait until next week for NPD's July console sales numbers. It could be interesting to see the differences between VGC and NPD sales data. ioi will adjust the numbers very quickly like he always does every month NPD numbers announce ioi changes his numbers to match them.

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:

Is this the same NPD when in April and May there was no shortage of people criticizing them for not being accurate because GTAIV didn't push consoles?

I wish you fanboys would make up your mind. Oh wait, you do make up your mind. Once the results are out you criticize the one that shows your favorite console in a less favorable light.

Surprise Surprise. The world is full of hypocrites. Instead of criticising we should enjoy the difference in sales sites figures. Hey we do not live in that sort of world. When the numbers are posted there will be a huge debate like every month on the forums. Groundhog Day.

lol, cant like them more :P

kingofwale said:
Rath said:
kingofwale said:
The Mann said:

All ps3 fanboys revert to your last hope. VGchartz numbers were more in line with sonys shipment reports then NPD's were..

if you don't take in account of what Sony had in store before the current quarter of shipment.. as well as making assumptions of how many is left in store after the period.

kinda silly for us to say "oh, sony's shipment number.. *blah blah blah*.. when we dismiss openly of any company's shipment number as "just shipped, not sold to customers"

If your numbers are somewhat under the shipped numbers at that point in time then you are probably about correct - shipped numbers cannot be used as sell through but they can be used to help verify it.

@Yakuzaice. Sony's quaterly report had their shipped numbers and VGC's numbers made sense in comparison with their shipped numbers.

It's hard to use it to verify anything when you don't know how many you started with... or how many you have left. Yes, you can estimate, but then you would be off by up to 0.5 million... a huge difference for a weekly tracking website.

hehe.. "a huge difference for a weekly tracking website"!!

You do realize ioi does this on his own right? and that you don't pay for having access to this weekly data?

ioi has been inline more times that he hasn't, he's system isn't perfect, small variations in his data can greatly affect his data and more sources surely would help... ... ... WAIT A MINUTE!! You work for a game retail store, why don't you provide him some of your store data and help him out?? Quit complaining if you are able to help!!

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

As a Sony fan, im not impressed with the PS3 numbers from the last few weeks.

BUT

Moaning about the numbers being wrong isnt the way out of this. If we assume the PS3 numbers are wrong, how do we know the numbers from every previous week arent wrong? If thats the case, why are we even on a sales orientated site?

The numbers arent exact, but they sure as hell aint gonna be a mile off like some people are hoping

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:

Is this the same NPD when in April and May there was no shortage of people criticizing them for not being accurate because GTAIV didn't push consoles?

I wish you fanboys would make up your mind. Oh wait, you do make up your mind. Once the results are out you criticize the one that shows your favorite console in a less favorable light.

Is this the same VGC that said they were rather close to NPD numbers last time when there were rather large discrepancies which were brushed off as "differences of 10% are acceptable"?

As soon as someone wonders whether NPD will be quite different (in favour of a system or not, doesn't really matter), others jump to the defense of VGC and point the fanboy-finger too.

If VGC admitted to changing certain numbers because they noticed some differences in numbers, or if they made their calculation method known (or more clear), this kind of debate wouldn't be so widespread.

Of course fans will wonder more if they see weird numbers or if they are surprised with numbers, you can't expect them to go "hmm, do you think these numbers are right" when they are in agreement with their own judgment and other numbers.  It's when it's "out of the ordinary" that people start to wonder, it's their right and eventually they will be proven right or wrong. 
Going "ah, only when things go wrong (for you), you complain".... is just stupid, because that's the normal procedure.

I still have to see a "hmm, we'll look into it" or "could be, but according to us..."-approach from VGC, it's always immediately the "attack something / someone else instead of wait-and-see or could-be-we-are-wrong".

Kasz216 said:

VGchartz to be off a week is possible... but unlikely.

VGchartz to be off an entire month is statistically... not impossible, but about as likely as me getting hit by lightning before i finish this post.

Unless Ioi changed the sources or formula or something, there is no reason or way for it to just usddenly be WAY off unless there is some sort of sampling bias where the numbers are being taken from Sony strong stores.

Also microsoft never admitted a shortage until after NPD numbers showed them behind.

oohh wrong, MS had sent a press release a couple days before hand warning of shortages and that NPD results would not look favorable.

Oh forgot to mention earlier...

Just like KingofWale forgot to mention... He's CANADIAN... ...

*looks for flashbulbs lighting over peoples avatars on why he's saying no supply issue

gebx said:
kingofwale said:
Rath said:
kingofwale said:
The Mann said:

All ps3 fanboys revert to your last hope. VGchartz numbers were more in line with sonys shipment reports then NPD's were..

if you don't take in account of what Sony had in store before the current quarter of shipment.. as well as making assumptions of how many is left in store after the period.

kinda silly for us to say "oh, sony's shipment number.. *blah blah blah*.. when we dismiss openly of any company's shipment number as "just shipped, not sold to customers"

If your numbers are somewhat under the shipped numbers at that point in time then you are probably about correct - shipped numbers cannot be used as sell through but they can be used to help verify it.

@Yakuzaice. Sony's quaterly report had their shipped numbers and VGC's numbers made sense in comparison with their shipped numbers.

It's hard to use it to verify anything when you don't know how many you started with... or how many you have left. Yes, you can estimate, but then you would be off by up to 0.5 million... a huge difference for a weekly tracking website.

hehe.. "a huge difference for a weekly tracking website"!!

You do realize ioi does this on his own right? and that you don't pay for having access to this weekly data?

ioi has been inline more times that he hasn't, he's system isn't perfect, small variations in his data can greatly affect his data and more sources surely would help... ... ... WAIT A MINUTE!! You work for a game retail store, why don't you provide him some of your store data and help him out?? Quit complaining if you are able to help!!

nah, of course not, those advertisment on the site is just to make it look more legit, it certain doesn't not provide this site with money whatsoever.

oh, FYI, I did offer to provide data and contacted mod for it through PM, but never got a reply.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

I'm sort of interested just because of the disparity between amazon's numbers and this site. I don't base overall sales based on amazon, but when the PS3 has been the best selling system on there for the last 3 weeks, and this site is reporting a MASSIVE drop off in sales for the PS3, it just makes me want to look at as many sources as possible to see what is accurate.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS