By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - MGS4 shipped 3.94m as of June 30, 2008

kowenicki said:
kber81 said:
gebx said:
They can ship as many as they want...

lol Actually they ship as many as retailers want. They want because they sell...

They want because they sell... or because they thought they could sell to be precise.

Any store I go in has shit loads of copies left and it has a major discount on Amazon here in the UK.

See larger image and other views

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)
by Konami
Platform: PLAYSTATION 3

(122 customer reviews)

RRP: £49.99
Price: £29.98 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK with Super Saver Delivery. See details and conditions
You Save: £20.01 (40%)

Everything is on disscount in the UK, lol. Fish n chips only $20!

Around the Network
gebx said:
They can ship as many as they want... but apparently the game is already in bargain bins cause its been overshipped

http://kotaku.com/5029830/less-than-a-month-and-a-half-mgs4-in-bargain-bins

Could be an isolated incident, but it would support VGC's numbers that the game is not undertracked.

oh stop it ! why do feel the need to enter ps3 threads and dogg the console?! (fanboism at its best)

If you're not happy with VGChartz's data :

MGS4 has not sold its first shipment yet in Italy, according to GFK : it is, as of the last report (July 20), at 81,100 units sold, out of an initial stock of 95,000 units. (GFK's Italy Charts)

It has 'only' sold between 200k and 300k in the UK at the end of July, according to Chart-Track (probably closer to 200k than 300k) (ELSPA Awards). Given that the UK usually represents around 1/3-1/4 of all Europe sales, a rough estimate would put MGS4 sales around 900k in all Europe. (first shipment was around 1 million according to Konami's own press).

It has sold 775k in the USA in June (NPD USA June 2008). First shipment was around 1.5 million. Even if you add Canada and others, I doubt it has made much more than 900k total for the month in the America. And unless it has had tremendous legs, I doubt it has made significantly more than 600k in July (in order for it to sell out its first shipment). It has most probably done way less, as those type of games are heavily front-loaded.

In Japan, the game was at 622k according to Famitsu at the end of July. (Famitsu July 27's Chart)

This game has sold around 3 million units directly to consumers at very best, and anyone expecting way above that is just deluding himself.

Seneque said:

If you're not happy with VGChartz's data :

MGS4 has not sold its first shipment yet in Italy, according to GFK : it is, as of the last report (July 20), at 81,100 units sold, out of an initial stock of 95,000 units. (GFK's Italy Charts)

It has 'only' sold between 200k and 300k in the UK at the end of July, according to Chart-Track (probably closer to 200k than 300k) (ELSPA Awards). Given that the UK usually represents around 1/3-1/4 of all Europe sales, a rough estimate would put MGS4 sales around 900k in all Europe. (first shipment was around 1 million according to Konami's own press).

It has sold 775k in the USA in June (NPD USA June 2008). First shipment was around 1.5 million. Even if you add Canada and others, I doubt it has made much more than 900k total for the month in the America. And unless it has had tremendous legs, I doubt it has made significantly more than 600k in July (in order for it to sell out its first shipment). It has most probably done way less, as those type of games are heavily front-loaded.

In Japan, the game was at 622k according to Famitsu at the end of July. (Famitsu July 27's Chart)

This game has sold around 3 million units directly to consumers at very best, and anyone expecting way above that is just deluding himself.

Heh NDP and VG chartz didn't include bundle packs so the game wasundertracked by a few 100k.  Lol and by the by Jimmy, it's no longer June.

Leetgeek said:
Seneque said:

Heh NDP and VG chartz didn't include bundle packs so the game wasundertracked by a few 100k. Lol and by the by Jimmy, it's no longer June.

1rst : GFK, Famitsu and Chart-Track do, and I have been generous with the USA/America to account for that.

2nd : Learn to read.

Around the Network

Shipped, not sold...BIG difference!

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

i dont care how many this game solid
i could have sold 1....
as long as that one was me
everyone says this but this was def my favorite game ever

I love the PSWII60

DTG said:
DTG said:
kowenicki said:
DTG said:
This site has always been heavily biased against MGS. They have both MGS1 and MGS2 undertracked by millions when every official source states otherwise.

Enlighten us all with these 'official' sources and their figures please.

Official konami statement: http://www.contactmusic.com/new/home.nsf/webpages/metalgearsolid3x21x05x03

Both the Metal Gear Solid 2 documentary and MGS blu ray documentary state official numbers to be 7 million for MGS2 and 6 million for MGS1.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/the-legacy-of-metal-gear-solid

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/11/29/metal-gear-solid-4-producer-says-game-needs-to-sell-a-million-co/

MGS more than 6.6 million http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/adventure/metalgearsolid2sonsol/news.html?sid=2847978

And dont start with shipped vs sold, these games are so old that there aren`t 2 million extra unsold copies lying around stores. This site is just biased against Metal Gear.

It seems everyone ignores the obvious agenda this site has against MGS.

I haven't been ignoring it. I'm going to soon launch my own website that has a heavy bias against the halo series and mario games and equilibrium will be restored to the internet!!!!

MGS4 should be less than 3.94 for the quarter, because of other Metal Gear numbers.

BTW, shipped is SOLD for Konami, since they should have been paid for those goods.

UNLESS THEY ARE ON CONSIGNMENT - which is not very likely.

So MGS4 ships 4 million. That's some 3.5 MILLION in actual sales, or over 3 million anyway. I feel ashamed even watching the VG Chartz sales for MGS4.