By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Valve "Happy to Have Conversation" About Being Acquired

http://www.endsights.com/?p=173

Valve “Happy to Have Conversation” About Being Acquired

August 4, 2008 by Art Green 

Valve’s Vice President Doug Lombardi, in an interview with Gamasutra, said that Valve is “happy” to have a conversation about being acquired.

Lombardi, however, said that “y the same token, the company’s doing pretty well, and we’re really happy with what we’re doing.”

“So we’ll see. I mean, anything is possible.”

Considering that Pandemic and BioWare were bought by Electronic Arts for $620 million in cash, Valve might even cost potential suitors even more than that.

Source: [Gamasutra]

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

Well, they already love microsoft..... Valve-Microsoft partnership= UNSTOPPABLE

^your thinking microsoft will buy valve?

Well MS should go ahead and buy em. they don't appear to wanna work on any other platforms anyway. THough I suppose that's an argument to not buy them.

Why should MS buy Valve?They have already their minds and bodies covered,and the more rabid anti-PS3 fanboy the world has seen (aside from some posters here) in Gabe Newell.

Around the Network

Valve take too long to make stuff so yep they prolly will buy them stupid cretins.

Peter Molyneux....Rare....Bioware (formerly).....

They all have the same thing in common....completely constipated, and can't even fart out a demo for god knows how many years!

How long was Half Life 2 delayed? How much longer did we have to wait for episodes 1\2 of HL2 than we were originally told.

Yep, its a defo ideal company for microsoft...

i think it would make a pretty good addition to the microsoft team

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Your forgetting the real value in owning valve is having control of steam. That'd be worth the price of admission alone. Let alone all the extremely successful IP's they have. But to be honest I hope valve aren't bought out, I don't want their creativity stifled.

MrBubbles said:
i think it would make a pretty good addition to the microsoft team

it would,but bad for the others.still i wouldnt mind though

Valve aren't MS fans. They're PC fans, and they favor the 360 because of it's PC-like architecture.

Valve and MS are constantly at odds concerning things like Games for Windows Live, and Steam is something that MS themselves are trying to tackle through the GFWL initiative.

Of course, MS would probably love to buy Valve, but Valve would never go for it. Not to mention, MS would never be able to justify the price of Valve to it's shareholders, given their troubles reaching profitability in their gaming division thus far.

Tbh, I don't see Valve getting bought by anybody anytime soon.  They're just too big.  At most a merger might happen, ala Blizzard-Activision.