By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will RE4:Wii Edition meet sales expectations?

Bodhesatva said:

Here's another angle at this. Just recently, hardcore gamers complained that the Wii remote is too simple and dooms the system to casual "non games." Then, a hardcore Wii game is released that is actually more responsive and better controlled with the Wii remote instead of a traditional game pad, and now the complaint is that hardcore games are too easy to beat on the system. There's no way to win!

Honestly, I've said this before, but I am still amazed that game pads have remained an industry standard for so long. It's attacked from both sides: casual players think the controls are awkward and unintuitive, while hardcore players think they are imprecise and technically inferior for skilled play (there's a reason why 90% of professional gaming takes place on PCs, despite the fact that it represents less than 10% of the market, and it isn't that PC gamers are just "so much better").

That's a good point.  It was a great invention, but it's outdated.  It still has it's uses, but it's time for something better to come along, and something better HAS come along.  All that matters is how well it's implemented, and capcom did an amazing job with it in RE4.

Around the Network

Here in Greece it costs 20 Euros (at least in most stores i visited)

Well said, Rol.

Back to the orig. subject: can the Wii beat the 450k objective?

Absolutely, It's going to blow it out of the water. IMO, it could even get that high (proving VGC estimates are accurate) in US+Japan alone. I am really suprised that Capcom predicted so low.

We should see:

100k in Japan
250k in the US (based on a 3x multiplier, which should be average)
150k in Europe

That'd be 500k, around where I thought it'd get initially. However, US/Euro numbers could wind up being higher. It *is* a $30 afterall. I loves me some cheap games (I got Tomb Raider Anniversary for my g/f for $20, best deal ever)

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:

Absolutely, It's going to blow it out of the water. IMO, it could even get that high (proving VGC estimates are accurate) in US+Japan alone. I am really suprised that Capcom predicted so low.

We should see:

100k in Japan
150k in Europe

That'd be 500k, around where I thought it'd get initially. However, US/Euro numbers could wind up being higher. It *is* a $30 afterall. I loves me some cheap games (I got Tomb Raider Anniversary for my g/f for $20, best deal ever)

Price sensitivity, and not any concern over "But it's last-gen!" is key here. Most consumers aren't fixated on next-gen. I'd expect 600K worldwide myself.

And about predicting low - it's all about managing expectations. It doesn't make objective sense, but predicting 450K and making 500K is more impressive psychologically than predicting 500K and meeting your target.

Around the Network

'the Wiimote speaker only supports sounds for reloading weapons, but sadly not when shooting with the guns.'

thats not true you also here kchchchchchch whenever you call op hannigan (or halligan whatever).

Desroko said:
mrstickball said:

We should see:

100k in Japan
150k in Europe

Price sensitivity, and not any concern over "But it's last-gen!" is key here. Most consumers aren't fixated on next-gen. I'd expect 600K worldwide myself.

And about predicting low - it's all about managing expectations. It doesn't make objective sense, but predicting 450K and making 500K is more impressive psychologically than predicting 500K and meeting your target.

Actually, it does make sense if financial planning of an kind is involved.

If you plan to make X amount of dollars on a game, and spend accordingly on other projects -- then end up making millions less than X, that's bad. It's much less painful to come into a budget surplus down the road than a budget deficit.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Speaking of Accuracy I'm on Chapter 5 and overall so far I think my accuracy is 85%. Quite impressive.

fooflexible said:

I thought this was interesting as we rarely get to hear what a company internally believes a game will sell. But according to the link below reported by Cubed3 Capcom at a fiscal meeting revealed their sales expections for RE 4 :Wii Edition and Umbrella Chronicles.

It's as follows:

RE4: Wii Edition 

• Expected: 420,000
  • Japan's Total so Far: 76,812 (4 Weeks)  4,680 last week
  • U.S. Total so Far:      86,440 (1 Week)
  • Other Territories:             ???
  • So Total so far w is: 163,252

I imagine it could make another 150,000 in Japan and US alone, with another 100,000 in other territories, I'm sure others could provide much better estimates(and I hope they do), either way it seems on track to break estimates.

RE: Umbrella Chronicles  was estimated to sell: 620,000  I imagine if RE4 breaks expectations they'll increase their estimate for this title. As I'm thinking it's rather low, and perhaps reveals a little insight on Capcom's hesitation to embrace the Wii as some other companies have.( I'm not saying they haven't, just haven't increased their offerings the same way Namco and Sega have.)

Here is the link:

http://www.cubed3.com/news/7952/1/Capcom_Reveals_Low_Resident_Evil_Expectations

It'll easily beat expectations, it came out at the perfect time.

Legend11 said:
fooflexible said:

I thought this was interesting as we rarely get to hear what a company internally believes a game will sell. But according to the link below reported by Cubed3 Capcom at a fiscal meeting revealed their sales expections for RE 4 :Wii Edition and Umbrella Chronicles.

It's as follows:

RE4: Wii Edition

• Expected: 420,000
  • Japan's Total so Far: 76,812 (4 Weeks) 4,680 last week
  • U.S. Total so Far: 86,440 (1 Week)
  • Other Territories: ???
  • So Total so far w is: 163,252

I imagine it could make another 150,000 in Japan and US alone, with another 100,000 in other territories, I'm sure others could provide much better estimates(and I hope they do), either way it seems on track to break estimates.

RE: Umbrella Chronicles was estimated to sell: 620,000 I imagine if RE4 breaks expectations they'll increase their estimate for this title. As I'm thinking it's rather low, and perhaps reveals a little insight on Capcom's hesitation to embrace the Wii as some other companies have.( I'm not saying they haven't, just haven't increased their offerings the same way Namco and Sega have.)

Here is the link:

http://www.cubed3.com/news/7952/1/Capcom_Reveals_Low_Resident_Evil_Expectations

It'll easily beat expectations, it came out at the perfect time.

Good point, it really did. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">