By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Do you think SMG can pass SM64 in sales?

NJ5 said:
I think it will... It's the killer app on the Wii.

ummm... I thought that was Wii Sports. (I've never heard of anyone buying a Wii so they could play SMG, but I'd be willing to bet that at least 60% of Wii owners bought it because of Wii Sports. Heck, I bought it because of Wii Sports.....

OT: ehh.... I don't really know. I don't think it will, but it's definitely not outside the realm of possibility. However, a lot depends on when SMG2 is released.

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

Around the Network

I'm not sure SMG2 will ever be released. The previous 2 generations Mario only had 1 "main series" platformer per console. If there were 2 Wii Mario platformers, I don't think the other would be a sequel.

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709

I'm going to say yes. I'm not sure by how much or when but the circumstances all fall into place.

Main Mario titles have traditionally sold for the entire generation and Galaxy is no different. The Wii has AT LEAST another 4 years of its lifespan left for Galaxy to sell and will end up with an exceptionally larger total install base than the 64 by the end of its run. Galaxy has sold nearly 7 million in less than a year on the market and has several more years and holidays ahead of it to pull in another 5 million on a steadily growing install base.

Even if Galaxy 2 happens it's going to be hard for Galaxy not to pull it off. 10 million is already in the bag, really it's just a few more after that...

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

radioioRobert said:
I'm not sure SMG2 will ever be released. The previous 2 generations Mario only had 1 "main series" platformer per console. If there were 2 Wii Mario platformers, I don't think the other would be a sequel.

miyamoto said he wants to make a galaxy 2

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

steven787 said:
No because Mario 64 wasn't up against much competition on Nintendo 64.

You are aware that there is practically no competition against it on the Wii? In fact, in general the Wii's line up is of a substantial lower quality than the Nintendo 64's library suggesting that SMG could be relatively more appealing to gamers than Mario 64.

Given that the Wii will certainly sell far more than the N64 and it is perfectly reasonable to say that SMG will outsell Mario 64.

Debating with fanboys, its not
all that dissimilar to banging ones
head against a wall 
Around the Network
Retrasado said:
NJ5 said:

ummm... I thought that was Wii Sports. (I've never heard of anyone buying a Wii so they could play SMG, but I'd be willing to bet that at least 60% of Wii owners bought it because of Wii Sports. Heck, I bought it because of Wii Sports.....

OT: ehh.... I don't really know. I don't think it will, but it's definitely not outside the realm of possibility. However, a lot depends on when SMG2 is released.

I got mine for SMG, in a way. (kind of a long story)

Anyway, Wii Sports may be the killer ap, but Galaxy is definitely the best game on the Wii. The hardcore killer ap, you could say.

Top 3 favorite games: Super Mario Galaxy, The Sims 2 (PC), The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Maybe.

Retrasado said:
NJ5 said:

OK, maybe killer app wasn't the best term. What I was thinking was "it's the game to buy for the Wii". Wii Sports is already bundled, so even though it seems to be the killer app, it's not a title people have to explicitly buy (except in Japan).

Last sentence - true and agreed.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

No. Why?

1. SM64 was practically the only game worth having for the first 6 months the console was on sale, and remained the one "must have" title until Ocarina came out. SMG has much more competition.

2. SM64 was the only Mario platformer on the 64. We have every reason to expect a Galaxy sequel at some point, which will likely crimp long term sales of the original.

Every time Richard Branson flies into space a million copies of SMG get their wings and fly.

It deserves massive sales and will eventually get massive sales.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.