By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN: Square is Platform Neutral

^but they would make money

Around the Network
Rainbird said:
Mise said:
@Rainbird:

Seeing that North America is still the single largest video game market in the world, it's somewhat understandable. And yes, multiplat releases always have the potential for greater profits - but this is where corporate policies, publisher deals and other commitments/politics come in.

Besides, Square could just make its games for the Wii/DS first and then port them to the other consoles if they wanted to make the most money.

I think the difference between EU and NA are so small in terms of market size, that there is no reason to ignore EU.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/eu-is-second-largest-videogaming-territory

True, but EU has its own share of problems. You need to translate the game to at least six languages (English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian) if you want it to have maximum chances of success, you have to deal with the political stances of games that vary greatly between different countries etc. Compare this to the US and Japan, which only have a single official language, have greater purchasing power than your average european, and much clearer policies on games (usually, at least).

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

So basically "Star Ocean 4 coming to a PS3 near you"?

Can you blame them? Neither Sony nor Microsoft have been able to reach a position of supremacy the way the PS2 did, so there really isn't any financial reason for them to be single platform. At the end of the day they are a business and a business needs to make money.

I guess we have to wait and see what Square-enix does maybe in the future there will no such thing as exclusive.

Around the Network
masterb8tr said:
lol then why does the 360 still have star ocean and infite discovery?

Infinite Undiscovery was announced as a 360 exclusive before Square Enix was announced as the publisher.

its all about the money nothing else

consoles i own ps12 gba ds gc wii

SE are full of shit.We are multiplattform but we keep the timed exclusive The Last Remnant and dont make clear SO4 and IU are going to the PS3 as well.

By the way ,SE said IU could come to the PS3 ,so not MS owning the IP thingie.

Nice to see square giving love to everybody,they need to announce wii games though.

Kyros said:
and making a wii port would be cheap

Doubt that, they can (most likely) reuse almost all models, textures, artwork for the 360 because PS3 and 360 are roughly in the same power category. They would have to completely redesign everything for the Wii though because simply downsampling everything will look like hell. It would be like making a completely new game. (And yes this is cheaper for the Wii than for the PS3 or 360 but I am willing to bet that a port to 360 is cheaper than a port to Wii)

First, you are comparing two different architectures. The PS3 is cell based while the Xbox 360 is a powerpc based architecture. Therefore no one can say how close in power the Xbox 360 and the PS3 really are. However the Xbox 360 and the Wii have the same architecture, both are based on the power pc and feature ATI gpus. This would seem to make porting games from the Xbox 360 and the Wii easier. But then the Unreal 3 engine has to be factored in and that seems to be where the difficulty is.

On topic, the only reason that a port from the PS3 to the Xbox 360 would be cheaper than a port to the Wii is because most developers including Square Enix believed that the top selling consoles of this generation would be the PS3 followed closely behind the Xbox 360. They set their budgets accordingly and developed tools for the Xbox 360 and the PS3. Just about every major 3rd party developer lacks tools for the Wii and use the tools developed for the PS2. Square Enix has admitted in interviews that their Crystal tools are not fully developed for the Wii. Thus a port to the Wii from the PS3 would be more like a port from the PS3 to the PS2 in Squares case. However, Capcom is showing promise with their port of the 360 game Dead Rising to the Wii. If Square finishes their work on the Crystal tools for the Wii then ports of HD games could come. But I feel Square will want to make another Dragon Quest Swords game for the Wii to take advantage of the Motionplus adapter for the Wii remote.

Hopefully, more true RPGs hit the Wii from Square Enix.

Long posts make bored. I'm gone.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba