By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - You know what I find odd (Wii topic)

I've know over 12 people who have had a Sega Game Gear, but I don't know anyone with a PSP :p

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

Personal experiences are not as accurate as statistical data. The data can also be deceiving if you only analyze your region. In my country GC sold 3 times more than Xbox. PS2 got 96% of last gen market.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

one has 360/ps3/DS/PSP and stated he will buy a Wii when he is already in a store and sees it there.

one has Wii and pretty much every other console known to man except the ps3/360. He says he will eventually get them once price drops and some must have games he likes comes out.

2 more with 360

2 more with DS's

3 more with Wii's.

about 4 people who are deciding. Waiting for this xmas to make decision, 3 are leaning wii and 1 is leaning 360.

Of the people(mostly coworkers) I know

only 1 has a Wii (and my brother has one 600 miles away, the only one I've ever played)

6 have PS3s

7 have PSPs

1 has a 360(technically he has had 4 of them though, HAH)

2 have xboxes

30+ have ps2s - guesstimate from just talking to people at smoke breaks(guitar hero is insane, 2 girls and one of their mother's bought PS2's and guitar hero with no intention of ever buying any other games)

and 2 DS owners

EDIT: However, I don't think the stores have a lot to do with its success, it's marketing is very good, along with it being the "in" item right now(I didn't say it was a fad, back off) and LOTS of word-of-mouth advertising as well, kinda like that Guitar Hero thing(^^up there) where one played it at a friends, bought it, then the other played, bought it, and so on.

Of my circle I know..
5 Wii-ers
4 360-ers
1 PS3 guy (and he own a 360 and a Wii as well)

Around the Network

From the ppl I know... not a lot of gamers actually...

5 have Wii
2 have 360
ZERO have PS3
over 10 have DS
around 3 have PSP
and over 20 play on their PC :P

Of my personal circle of 7 friends, 8 including me (as that seems to be the direction this topic as headed, amazingly without any flaming):

All 8 of us have DSes

7 have Wiis, including me. The other 6 bought them after playing mine. The last one will be buying one when he doesn't have to camp for it (It's hard to find one in Indianapolis still). Till then he mooches off our Wiis >_<

3 have 360s. I'll be getting one soon myself I hope (expecting a price drop this year and a relief of RRoD issues)

3 have PSPs (again this includes myself)

0 have PS3s. Although none of us have them. Me, and 2 others would like them. We all agree that we won't be picking them up though till they hit $350 or less, $400 if something comes along that we can't wait for.

Edit: Interestingly we all owned PS2s last gen, only 3 of us owned GCs (including me) and 4 of us owned Xboxes (the same 4 who owned Xboxes bought 360s, minus me who can't afford one yet and doesn't like RRoD). The reason I think this is interesting is that we almost directly reflected the market sales.

Oh and, if anyone was curious, we are 20-25 year old male college students.  Most of us have girlfriends, but none of them are gamers (i can still get mine to play the Wii though :D) 

• The country, state/province, city and neighborhood you live in
  • Your age
  • Your education level and field of study
  • Your career choice
  • Your race
  • Your gender
  • Your social static

All of these things (and more) will impact the choice of console you choose ... They also are likely going to have a very large impact on your friends as you're far more likely to hang out with people similar to you than people who are drastically different than you.

This is why I know 4 people who own Wii systems, 3 that are planning to buy one as soon as they're available, 2 people who own XBox 360s and no one who owns a PS3...

My clique (last two gens):

4 Wii
4 DS
1 360
0 PS3 or PSP
6 PS2
1 XBox
0 Game Cube

I know of at least 3 individuals that want a Wii, but haven't found one yet, and a few more that cannot fathom paying even $249 for it. I know several people that didn't pick up a PS2 until it was

Hmm who have Wiis. Well my bro has one, my neighbors have one, 5 people at my school that I know of have one, and my best friend has one. But ya know after Wii came out and into the new year it was the hottest topic at my school. I mean I was amazed. Have discussions you know during lull time of classes about how they went to a party and Wii was the main attraction. Adn these are the typical kids who don't play gaming console or would only buy Playstation. I know a lot of them were probably going to get it over the summer.

I mean even as a Nintendo fanboy I found it hard to believe how installed in the mainstream the Wii was until I came back from Christmas holidays and further into 2007 and saw how much it was talked about. I became a believer then.