By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - We shouldn't let MS win any of the generations...

I may not like MS very much, but they have at least shown they are willing to invest in their consoles both with their console architecture, user interface, online infrastructure, and third-party relationships.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

consoles <> operating systems

fuck this thread

this thread smells of the bathroom after i've just taken a shit.

this isnt an industry where everyone else produces garbage. so your entire thought process can be summed up in the first line... you HATE microsoft. thats just rather pathetic.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network
toastboy44562 said:
fuck this thread

simple and true +1

Microsoft shouldn't win because you hate it. What a well reasoned argument.

Onour11 said:

Why?Because I hate MS?...Why should I?

Because of the gaming industry? I don't give a damn about all the losses-money thing....

Because of the gaming community?Exactly...

Past 2 generations was Sony's monopoly but we saw a lot of nice games and played them (Such as res evil-gow-ico etc.)

But I don't think it would be same if those generations was MS's monopoly.Why?Because they want Windows to be everything.And they do not want consoles to replace it.As many of the gamers know after a big war of consoles there is always a monopoly.Now we are witnesses of a war going between Sony-MS(I don't count nintendo cuz that's different) do you think in the next generation this war will go again?I don't think so.

In conclusion if MS can ''conquer'' the console gaming such as Sony did in past 2 generations they will not only have all the console gaming but also the pc gaming.Which means 'massive monopoly' and not good for us gamers.(And this could be very end of the console gaming if you like apocalyptic tales....well just a theory:D)

So these are my thoughts.I just wanted to share them with you.You can disagree if you want.And sorry for bad english...

I think that you aren't understanding that a monopoly is bad if it's held by ANY company:

Nintendo (late 80's, early 90's) - Employed horrendous tactics to ensure 3rd parties never developed on other platforms, and forced retail stores to carry Nintendo products only.

Sony - Forced retail stores to drop used games to court favor with devs (among other things).

Any monopoly - Nintendo, Sony, or MS would inevitably be bad. It would sqash innovation, and cause issues.

But the fact is, Microsoft has done so much good for developers. They've made very easy-to-utilize hardware and SDKs for the developers, and have also been the spearhead of the Digitally Distributed content system for consoles, which is helping independant developers make games for systems that would otherwise get turned down by Sony and Nintendo.

You can argue what Microsoft would do if they were #1, which may, or may not happen. But at the same time, Nintendo, with the DS and Wii aren't exactly going to play nice when they're #1 either.

And the fact is, although we saw "great" games on the PS1/2 that were awesome, fantastic games weren't built because of the Sony Playstation - They were built in spite of it, in some ways. The PS2 archatecture was notorious for being hard to work with, which I am sure caused many developers to go overbudget with their designs (sound familiar?) - And of course, that's not forgetting that we saw great games on the Gamecube, Dreamcast, and Xbox last generation that were equally innovative.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

something tells me a nintendo one is going to be made next

lol, well, Microsoft is not wining by any means. What they have done, is forced Sony to put a HD in there console, forced Sony to make PSN, and forces a video card into the system (they were just going to use the Cell).

The PS3 is what it is because of Microsoft, and everyone wins.