By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft’s Mattrick: When I said we’d win, I meant it”

I think over the rest of the year the Sony fans will be very quiet due to sales not going Sony's way. You'll see.

Around the Network
selnor said:
I think over the rest of the year the Sony fans will be very quiet due to sales not going Sony's way. You'll see.

I have to admit your sig makes a bold statement. What are you basing this theory on?

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

*bleu-ocelot* said:

Let's talk when the PS3 is $299.99 next year.

Too bad PS3 wont have a price cut before March 31 2009 (Fiscal 2009), basically according to Sony themselves. Too bad PS3 has already lost at least 4 billion dollars in the last 2 fiscal years (3.1 billion minus whatever the PS2+PSP profited in that time) and shows no signs of profitability (haha, even when Sony fanboys have been claiming PS3 hardware is break even for ages now, but strangely no PS3 price cuts come..). Too bad Microsoft could probably drop the Pro SKU to 199 by that time and still lose less money than Sony would on PS3 at 299.

Keep dreaming though.

Heres the hard numbers, since vgchartz numbers are fabrications/ back adjusted when real data arrives: As of March 31 2008, MS had shipped to retail worldwide 19.0m 360's, Sony had shipped to retail worldwide 12.85m PS3's. Since we dont have reliable WW sales figures (and Vg chartz certainly isn't it) those are the most accurate WW numbers to concern yourself with, because the companies themselves sure as hell aren't lying, and that includes the entitre world including every tiny country that would be impossible to get accurate sales figures for.

(Actually 360 can be updated to 20.3m as of June 31 since they just came out with new quarterly figures, but since Sony's June 31 figures dont come out until July 29 a few days from now, we'll ignore that).

So there you go, 360 had a ~6m unit WW lead by 3/31/08 (even though PS3 has 1/3 of the market Japan all to themselves!). The question is can PS3 overcome that?

You also need to understand a few other points, Sony has projected only 10m PS3 sales in fiscal 09 (end 3/31/09). Which I believe is similar or lower than what the shipped in fiscal 08. This is basically the confirmation they wont be dropping the PS3 price, and they probably also expect 360 to drop price and eat into their sales, because thats a really low projection.

I think 360 is doing a lot better in Europe than Sony fanboys say. Sony fanbboys typically lie and say 360 is being outsold 100-1 in Eu or whatever, but the last data I saw for UK from Chart Track said 360 was outselling PS3 there since GTA4 launched. Also the latest Italy sales, one of 360's worst markets, from prosugno show 360 barely behind PS3 (43k to 35k for June I think).

360 doesn't need to win Europe anyway, even losing by 50% there when combined with USA would probably be a good result and allow them to win WW. Coupled with PS3's utter and absolute failure to sell anything at all in Japan, where it is completely shunned and a huge bomb (I actually wonder if 360 wont outsell it in Japan weekly at some point).

So the bottom line is it aint over yet, disregard your stupid inflated Vgchartz figures Sony fanboys, because I only accept WW ship to retail figures from the companies themselves as accurate evidence, MS is doing better in Europe and only needs to do OK there, MS probably has a huge price cut lined up for USA soon (at least $50 maybe more) while Sony surely has none, MS has a new Halo in 2009, and so on. Mattruc's prediction is very reasonable and should at least be fun to watch imo.

2 is not a winner so those two billion dollar companies can compete over 2nd all they want to because they both lost how about that......... he can compare games with the wii all he wants because 33% of the total sales of that 360 are in land fills by now I know 2of my 360 are in a land fill....... so I'd say it's safe to say more people actually own a ps3 than a 360 because everyones 360 brakes the failure rate is 100% not 33% I know one person with a 360 thats all at one time almost everyone I know had one including myself but not know more..........

Impulsivity said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
How could they come to this conclusion. I mean, they are doing great, honestly, imo, compared to last gen, but great 3rd party support does not equal sales greater than the PS3.

However, remember guys, Kaz or some sony guy said the PS3 would outsell the PS2, and I believe he said it'd beat the Wii.

360 has a better chance of outselling the PS3 than the PS3 does of outselling the Wii.

Do you mean outselling the Wii in the next 3 years or the next 8?  In the next 3 it won't (the PS3 will just be hitting the magic price point by the end of the next few years) but in the next 8 it almost certainly will (when the Wii is discontinued 4 or so years from now to make way for a new Nintendo system but the PS3 can persist due to its higher end tech).  The PS systems make most of their sales when they drop below the 199 (or maybe this gen 250) price point.  There isn't a doubt in my mind that the PS3 would be ahead of the Wii in sales if they cost the same amount.  I mean look at PS2 sales, in theory the Wii has the casual/low end market locked down and yet, every week without fail, over 100k PS2s sell.  Most weeks the PS2 is either right behind the 360 or even sometimes a bit ahead.

Why would Nintendo discontinue the wii? It will probably still be selling. They didn't discontinue the Nes or Snes when the Snes and N64 were released. The leading console usually is never discontinued after the next gen starts.

Around the Network
jeffrey9999 said:
2 is not a winner so those two billion dollar companies can compete over 2nd all they want to because they both lost how about that......... he can compare games with the wii all he wants because 33% of the total sales of that 360 are in land fills by now I know 2of my 360 are in a land fill....... so I'd say it's safe to say more people actually own a ps3 than a 360 because everyones 360 brakes the failure rate is 100% not 33% I know one person with a 360 thats all at one time almost everyone I know had one including myself but not know more..........

wat

you did get that right? MS spin is complete BS and they know it to.......... I don't even care about sony but after this I hope sony out sells MS 2-1 and It just might.............

lol still that old joke... OK I bet MS can be first LT and Wii second and PS3 last with bankruptcy of the VG dept at Sony corp... how about that... ???

sharky said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:

Let's talk when the PS3 is $299.99 next year.

Too bad PS3 wont have a price cut before March 31 2009 (Fiscal 2009), basically according to Sony themselves. Too bad PS3 has already lost at least 4 billion dollars in the last 2 fiscal years (3.1 billion minus whatever the PS2+PSP profited in that time) and shows no signs of profitability (haha, even when Sony fanboys have been claiming PS3 hardware is break even for ages now, but strangely no PS3 price cuts come..). Too bad Microsoft could probably drop the Pro SKU to 199 by that time and still lose less money than Sony would on PS3 at 299.

Keep dreaming though.

Heres the hard numbers, since vgchartz numbers are fabrications/ back adjusted when real data arrives: As of March 31 2008, MS had shipped to retail worldwide 19.0m 360's, Sony had shipped to retail worldwide 12.85m PS3's. Since we dont have reliable WW sales figures (and Vg chartz certainly isn't it) those are the most accurate WW numbers to concern yourself with, because the companies themselves sure as hell aren't lying, and that includes the entitre world including every tiny country that would be impossible to get accurate sales figures for.

(Actually 360 can be updated to 20.3m as of June 31 since they just came out with new quarterly figures, but since Sony's June 31 figures dont come out until July 29 a few days from now, we'll ignore that).

So there you go, 360 had a ~6m unit WW lead by 3/31/08 (even though PS3 has 1/3 of the market Japan all to themselves!). The question is can PS3 overcome that?

You also need to understand a few other points, Sony has projected only 10m PS3 sales in fiscal 09 (end 3/31/09). Which I believe is similar or lower than what the shipped in fiscal 08. This is basically the confirmation they wont be dropping the PS3 price, and they probably also expect 360 to drop price and eat into their sales, because thats a really low projection.

I think 360 is doing a lot better in Europe than Sony fanboys say. Sony fanbboys typically lie and say 360 is being outsold 100-1 in Eu or whatever, but the last data I saw for UK from Chart Track said 360 was outselling PS3 there since GTA4 launched. Also the latest Italy sales, one of 360's worst markets, from prosugno show 360 barely behind PS3 (43k to 35k for June I think).

360 doesn't need to win Europe anyway, even losing by 50% there when combined with USA would probably be a good result and allow them to win WW. Coupled with PS3's utter and absolute failure to sell anything at all in Japan, where it is completely shunned and a huge bomb (I actually wonder if 360 wont outsell it in Japan weekly at some point).

So the bottom line is it aint over yet, disregard your stupid inflated Vgchartz figures Sony fanboys, because I only accept WW ship to retail figures from the companies themselves as accurate evidence, MS is doing better in Europe and only needs to do OK there, MS probably has a huge price cut lined up for USA soon (at least $50 maybe more) while Sony surely has none, MS has a new Halo in 2009, and so on. Mattruc's prediction is very reasonable and should at least be fun to watch imo.

thats A really good analysis.

jeffrey9999 said:
you did get that right? MS spin is complete BS and they know it to.......... I don't even care about sony but after this I hope sony out sells MS 2-1 and It just might.............

It was slightly incoherent, but I did glean that you hate Microsoft, yes.