By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kaz Hirai Isn't Sure How Long The XBOX 360 cycle is...

Balu_Kukka said:

As you know MS has claimed that the 360 WILL outsell the PS3 "this generation".This is the thoughts of the daddy of PS.

"The key word there is this ‘lifecycle’ or ‘this generation’. As you probably know, we’re working on a ten-year lifecycle, we’ve said that since day one and we’ve proven it with PSOne and PS2. I guess Don is saying they’re also going to be embarking on a ten-year lifecycle, then? If they are then that’s terrific, but I’ve never seen them manage it before. Last time I checked, the Xbox went by the wayside four or five years after launch.

Last time I checked, the Xbox went by the wayside four or five years after launch. On the other hand, if he’s saying that Microsoft will outsell us after five years, if he calls that this generation, then he’s saying he’s going to exit the 360 business within five years. I’m not exactly sure when he says ‘this lifecycle’ or ‘this generation’ what standard he’s using — five years, 10 years, I don’t know."

What do you think?

I think MS will release the new XBOX when the PS3 is breathing down the 360's neck.

Luckily for Kaz, a big amount of the European crowd are still Sony's tool that did not care to get the worse SKUs from Sony keeping them alive this generation hence his ridiculous words (and no offense to Europeans but reality is that they really got the shaft out of all territories). Luckily tho Nintendo is taking over and maybe when they decide to make the next move in Europe then Sony will have to do their own and kill the PS3.

What are you looking at, nerd?
Around the Network
Faxanadu said:
this guy has no class. He makes a stupid comment regarding the xbox when he knows that the short run time of that console had nothing to do with MS deciding to stop production or anything similar.

Yeah, they just released Xbox360 and dropped all support for Xbox. Oh wait....

2 years max, 2010 xmas probably xbox whatever is released.

Hey, nobody bad mouths the 10 year plan! I am the #1 supporter and will not tolerate it. Preach it Kaz, preach it to the masses!

@hus, you must be kidding there is no reason to release a new xbox before 2012, at earliest, 2014 more likely. it would kill their revenue stream, at most expect more revised hardware, maybe not a slim, but changes to make the unit cheaper.

for MS to release a replacment there must be a need, they would have to be losing money, major developers, or have no units being sold, losses in software sales. none of that will happen, barring a large scale economic colapse which would hurt all players in the market

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Around the Network

I don't know about you guys, but i bought the most expensive console out of all three ( PS3 ) i would like it to last ten years +. If console lifecycle was 5-6 years, then im better off with a gaming PC. The PS3 has the CELL in it, i doubt not even half are used in current games. Also after a couple of years, SONY will introduce a redesigned PS3 ( Like Slim PS2 or PSone ) to compete with whatever the new Xbox will be.

ultraslick said:
rocketpig said:
Kaz Hirai needs to do us all a favor and erase the words "10", "year", and "lifecycle" from his memory banks.

It's not your call, Kaz. It's ours.
If we stop buying the Playstation 3 after six years, you will be forced to end production of the product. It's that simple. Stop being a jackass.

Wrong!

We buy what Sony tells us to buy, and the PS3 will outsell the 360 world wide by the end of 09 definitely.

I am usually not this direct with a post, but it is absolutely true. Look at the facts.

Wrong!

Since when does Sony control your minds? How do they diccate your purchases?

If you look at the facts, you'll see you are the one who is wrong. Look at the Gamecube for instance. At the end of 05 games were slowing down to a crawl. Very few games were released on the console, even from Nintendo. For the year of 04, only 3 millions units were sold worldwide, and the same for 05. Needless to say, the system was dead by 2006 (only selling ~1 million that year). If Nintendo were to take your philosophy and have a ten year life cycle becuase they want to, then they would be dead. The system wouldn't make any money for 4 years, which means no profit. The PS3 is going to stall eventually, and before the 10 year mark. Sony, nor anyone else, can sit on a console for 4 years without it making money, especially if their division isn;t in good shape at the moment.

Basically, Sony has two choices 1)Stop videogames all together, and 2)Make the PS4. So, it is, indeed, our call. The business is about making money. If their plan doesn't make money, then they will change it, and it will always be the consumer who drives that.

how is microsofts 360 going to out sell the ps3 if they are not selling it anymore it just gives sony five years to cach up

Two points come to mind:

1. Never ask an executive what he thinks of a main competitor's product and expect an unbiased answer

2. MS is on its second generation of console... it's difficult to determine a "trend" during the 3rd generation of a product, and its almost impossible during the 2nd generation

ultraslick said:
rocketpig said:
Kaz Hirai needs to do us all a favor and erase the words "10", "year", and "lifecycle" from his memory banks.

It's not your call, Kaz. It's ours.
If we stop buying the Playstation 3 after six years, you will be forced to end production of the product. It's that simple. Stop being a jackass.

Wrong!

We buy what Sony tells us to buy, and the PS3 will outsell the 360 world wide by the end of 09 definitely.

I am usually not this direct with a post, but it is absolutely true. Look at the facts.

You can't really claim that any forecast of what will happen 12-18 months by now is "fact".  At the end of 2009, we will then be able to look at what happened and determine what the "facts" are.