By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kaz Hirai Isn't Sure How Long The XBOX 360 cycle is...

EdGuila said:
5 years. Heaven forbid the 360 doesn't roll over and flop at 4 years like it's predecessor or MS will have a very hard time with their next system.

They didn't announce anything at this E3. That means nothing for 2009.

It's doubtful we will see a new MS system before 2011. They need to earn back some of that money they lost from 2001-2007. Besides, it wasn't their choice to end Xbox production. Nvidia forced their hand.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
EdGuila said:
5 years. Heaven forbid the 360 doesn't roll over and flop at 4 years like it's predecessor or MS will have a very hard time with their next system.

They didn't announce anything at this E3. That means nothing for 2009.

It's doubtful we will see a new MS system before 2011. They need to earn back some of that money they lost from 2001-2007. Besides, it wasn't their choice to end Xbox production. Nvidia forced their hand.

To a certain extent, their pricing strategy supports your theory ... Most companies would not replace a console before they have had their current console on the market at a price under $200 for (at least) a full year; with Microsoft's current pricing strategy, I don't think it would be reasonable to expect that the "Real" XBox 360 will be $200 or less until late 2010.

I could be wrong, but I suspect that Microsoft's target for the next XBox is late 2011 where they will start selling their new system at $400 and the XBox 360 at $150; they will continue with some first party support in 2012 but the lifespan of the XBox 360 will depend heavily on how much third party support it receives after the next XBox is launched. One of the benefits that the XBox 360 will have is it will (probably) continue to receive ports of whatever games appear on the PS3 (and possibly ports from portable games by 2011) which will extend its life as long as the PS3 is a viable platform.

rocketpig said:
Kaz Hirai needs to do us all a favor and erase the words "10", "year", and "lifecycle" from his memory banks.

It's not your call, Kaz. It's ours. If we stop buying the Playstation 3 after six years, you will be forced to end production of the product. It's that simple. Stop being a jackass.

But if Sony keep supporting the product then "we" the consumers will keep on buying. That's just the way it works.

Microsoft will let the 360 run longer than the original xbox, but as soon as the PS3 has overtaken the 360 and established a decent lead, that will be it for the 360.

And that Mattrick guy can suck my balls

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Lightning08 said:
rocketpig said:
Kaz Hirai needs to do us all a favor and erase the words "10", "year", and "lifecycle" from his memory banks.

It's not your call, Kaz. It's ours. If we stop buying the Playstation 3 after six years, you will be forced to end production of the product. It's that simple. Stop being a jackass.

But if Sony keep supporting the product then "we" the consumers will keep on buying. That's just the way it works.

If they are just making more consoles that no-one wants to buy, retailers will either not buy them or demand lower prices, which could mean selling them at a loss if they keep producing them.

Around the Network

IMO a console lifecycle should be 5-6 years. After 5 years the next generation will be announced, but games will be in development for one more year.

10 years is far too long IMO. I would have the feeling I am missing something. All these great PC games not making its way on my console, because it can't handle it or just a worse version of it... So 5 years is cool for me.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

colonelstubbs said:

Microsoft will let the 360 run longer than the original xbox, but as soon as the PS3 has overtaken the 360 and established a decent lead, that will be it for the 360.

And that Mattrick guy can suck my balls

Supply can make it's own demand according to Say's Law.

I don't think you want that guy sucking your balls.........the red carpet has teeth.

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*

Lightning08 said:
rocketpig said:

There's a little chart that disagrees with you. It's a pretty famous one, too.

Using your logic, Ford would never have stopped producing the Model A. If they would have just kept producing it, people would have kept buying it. And we'd all live in a utopia where we get to manually crank our cars to get them running.

To put it in more modern terms, why did Sony stop producing the PSOne? If they just kept producing them, we would continue to buy.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

@rocketpig

There's a very big price difference between Video game consoles and Cars. Not to mention a huge difference in need vs. want for the consumer. Plus a single consumer is more likely to buy multiple consoles rather than multiple vehicles.

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*

he really sounds weak. mayb japanese is always like this? try to act humble? while MS's tone is always so confident and aggressive just like typical westerners