By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kaz Hirai Isn't Sure How Long The XBOX 360 cycle is...

EdGuila said:

Doesn't Microsoft's bribing of 3rd party developers work by pay off sort of like buying up the estimated value of copies the game would sell on it's competition?

Well after March 2009 when the PS3 pulls ahead of Microsoft in total hardware sold MS will lose it's edge when it comes to bribes because they will be too expensive.

With less and less bribes from MS and size restrictions on DVD vs a plethora of space on a BD, 3rd party developers have less and less incentive to develop for the 360.

And unlike Sony and Nintendo MS, Microsoft has hardly any 1st party games.

It will not be as instant as their last flop but a bit more gradual.  The end for the 360 system begins half way through 2010 and it will slowly and slowly fade and the end will be over by the end 2011.

People over-estimate the number of times Microsoft had to "Bribe" third parties to develop exclusive games (or ports) for their system, and the ammount of money that would be required to be successful with these "Bribes" ...

A large portion of Microsoft's third party support comes from PC developers, or developers with a particular interest in North America, the United Kingdom or Australia; with how easy it is to create a PC/XBox 360 game, and being that Microsoft has a 7.5 Million unit lead in these regions that hasn't been dented by the PS3, they will continue to be able to maintain there support level from these developers.

Around the Network

"What do you think?"

I think Sony needs to shut the **** up already. Someone needs to tell them they are not the industry leader right now. They are sitting in last place. If they were in first place and couldn't keep systems on the shelves then yeah, they could talk about their 10 life cycle and how the 360 will go the way of the Xbox. These comments make them look like idiots, which is why they have the largest losses and are in last place.

At this rate, you might as well kiss the Sony brand good bye. Microsoft and Nintendo are doing well now becuase they understand that they lost, understood why, and how they can fix it. Sony isn't doing that and is acting like it's 2005. Their arrogance isn't going to help them get into 1st and if they don't fallow their competitors example then they'll be talking to Sega about the good old times.

Sony is in last place but will be caught up in March 2009. PS3 sales as of July 2008 equal was the 360 has sold as of the December 2007. Yeah half a year behind despite the 360 getting a one year head start. If despite this you feel that the 360 (being $150 less, releasing a year earlier, bribing developers and still coming in last) is sucess, please, hook me up with whatever you're smoking.
XBox still has the largest loses, they still got to pay off all the RRODs and pay off their 4 year failure last generation.  PS1 and PS2 were both 8 years of sucess each; people around the world know this.  This generation is now in full swing, Xbox will be back in the red like their history of consoles are known for.

P.S. I can tell by your use of insults against people play the opposing system that you are very stressed that the system you play is a slowly sinking ship, but don't get mad at me, it's only the truth, I wish MS was doing better than they are but little about the world is fair.  I'm sorry, just the way things are.

PSN: EDguila

PS3 library:  Motorstorm, Assasin's Creed, Orange Box, Uncharted:DF, Metal Gear Solid 4, Resistance:FOM, Rachet & Clank Future:ToD,

Near future: Folklore, SOCOM Confrontation, BioShock, Little Big Planet, Resistance 2.

EdGuila said:

Sony is in last place but will be caught up in March 2009. PS3 sales as of July 2008 equal was the 360 has sold as of the December 2007. Yeah half a year behind despite the 360 getting a one year head start. If despite this you feel that the 360 (being $150 less, releasing a year earlier, bribing developers and still coming in last) is sucess, please, hook me up with whatever you're smoking.
XBox still has the largest loses, they still got to pay off all the RRODs and pay off their 4 year failure last generation. PS1 and PS2 were both 8 years of sucess each; people around the world know this. This generation is now in full swing, Xbox will be back in the red like their history of consoles are known for.

P.S. I can tell by your use of insults against people play the opposing system that you are very stressed that the system you play is a slowly sinking ship, but don't get mad at me, it's only the truth, I wish MS was doing better than they are but little about the world is fair. I'm sorry, just the way things are.

How does this change anything? I think this is more missing the point.

It doesn't matter if Sony will get 2nd. They are in last now. They are in last when they are saying their competition's console only lasted 4 to 5 years. This is coming from a company that lost money on every console sold. From the guys that have had no profitability and no big hits. At least Microsoft has something with Halo.

The point was that Sony shouldn't be saying anything about a 10 yrs life cycle now. Their system eats any money the others make and is becoming a lyability. If Sony was in good shape then they'd be justified. But being in third, taking major loses, and a unsure future, they are in no way to talk about 10 yrs life cycles. It makes them look like a fool.

When discussing the supposed "console wars", I still don't understand why PS3 supporters think the ten year life cycle has anything to do with anything. The PS2 is still around, yes. How many of you are banging down Sony's doors demanding new PS2 games? If you own a PS3, do you really give two s#$%s about the PS2 anymore besides those nostalgic moments when you want to go back and play your favorites?

I realize that the PS3 is a powerhouse machine. You can't deny that. But technology moves along SO fast, and eventually the PS3 will become a dated piece of hardware, and I think it will be sooner than people think. It won't be in the next couple of years, but beyond that, who knows?

Again, yes the PS2 is still around. But if I still had an old PS2 lying around and a PS3 with all these new games coming out, I probably wouldn't even be THINKING about my PS2 anymore. If anything, I would probably be really pissed that my PS3 won't play my favorite PS2 games.

Around the Network

It's simple really... Sony hasn't had the games untill now. The 2nd half of 08 and especially next year the PS3 is going to have the most it has ever had. let's see how well the 360 does from then on, and then we will see how long they decide to keep it going.

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

Domicinator said:
When discussing the supposed "console wars", I still don't understand why PS3 supporters think the ten year life cycle has anything to do with anything. The PS2 is still around, yes. How many of you are banging down Sony's doors demanding new PS2 games? If you own a PS3, do you really give two s#$%s about the PS2 anymore besides those nostalgic moments when you want to go back and play your favorites?

I realize that the PS3 is a powerhouse machine. You can't deny that. But technology moves along SO fast, and eventually the PS3 will become a dated piece of hardware, and I think it will be sooner than people think. It won't be in the next couple of years, but beyond that, who knows?

Again, yes the PS2 is still around. But if I still had an old PS2 lying around and a PS3 with all these new games coming out, I probably wouldn't even be THINKING about my PS2 anymore. If anything, I would probably be really pissed that my PS3 won't play my favorite PS2 games.

wrong wrong wrong.

if that were the case nobody would be buying the wii right now.

and wrong, ps2 its still a important console, it outsold the xbox360 up until 2007.

and even people still play their games on it, i just finished shadow of colossus a while ago... and going to ico next.

if you haven't looked around they are still releasing ps2 games, 130, and persona 4 managed to hit #1 in japan.

@HanzoTheRazor, metal gear solid 4 is failure now?

sony still lots of game to release GT5, little big planet, killzone 2,final fantasy xiii versus, all those are/will be huge sellers.

HappySqurriel said:
EdGuila said:

Doesn't Microsoft's bribing of 3rd party developers work by pay off sort of like buying up the estimated value of copies the game would sell on it's competition?

Well after March 2009 when the PS3 pulls ahead of Microsoft in total hardware sold MS will lose it's edge when it comes to bribes because they will be too expensive.

With less and less bribes from MS and size restrictions on DVD vs a plethora of space on a BD, 3rd party developers have less and less incentive to develop for the 360.

And unlike Sony and Nintendo MS, Microsoft has hardly any 1st party games.

It will not be as instant as their last flop but a bit more gradual.  The end for the 360 system begins half way through 2010 and it will slowly and slowly fade and the end will be over by the end 2011.

People over-estimate the number of times Microsoft had to "Bribe" third parties to develop exclusive games (or ports) for their system, and the ammount of money that would be required to be successful with these "Bribes" ...

A large portion of Microsoft's third party support comes from PC developers, or developers with a particular interest in North America, the United Kingdom or Australia; with how easy it is to create a PC/XBox 360 game, and being that Microsoft has a 7.5 Million unit lead in these regions that hasn't been dented by the PS3, they will continue to be able to maintain there support level from these developers.

Naw, it's like football: the other guys always win because they had the referee in the pocket.

It's scary how similar are the behaviours and rethoric amongst both collectives.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Jo21 said:
Domicinator said:

wrong wrong wrong.

if that were the case nobody would be buying the wii right now.

and wrong, ps2 its still a important console, it outsold the xbox360 up until 2007.

and even people still play their games on it, i just finished shadow of colossus a while ago... and going to ico next.

if you haven't looked around they are still releasing ps2 games, 130, and persona 4 managed to hit #1 in japan.

@HanzoTheRazor, metal gear solid 4 is failure now?

sony still lots of game to release GT5, little big planet, killzone 2,final fantasy xiii versus, all those are/will be huge sellers.

Um, yeah, the PS2 was outselling the PS3 up until just recently as well.  What's your point?  I'm not saying it's not an important console.  The PS2 was a LEGENDARY console.  That's why it's still selling.  It has a great library and it's cheap.  (Much like the Wii.)  I'm just saying that the ten year life cycle doesn't automatically mean the PS3 wins.  That's like saying the PS2 wins this generation because it has outsold all the current gen HD consoles.  It's comparing apples to oranges, and it will be the same deal with the PS3's ten year cycle.  You're not going to be comparing PS3's overall ten year sales to whatever new stuff is out at that point because that's a ridiculous comparison to make.

rocketpig said:
Kaz Hirai needs to do us all a favor and erase the words "10", "year", and "lifecycle" from his memory banks.

It's not your call, Kaz. It's ours.
If we stop buying the Playstation 3 after six years, you will be forced to end production of the product. It's that simple. Stop being a jackass.

Wrong!

We buy what Sony tells us to buy, and the PS3 will outsell the 360 world wide by the end of 09 definitely.

I am usually not this direct with a post, but it is absolutely true. Look at the facts.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.