By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 360 DVD better then PS3 Blu Ray for Gaming

souixan said:
Fishie said:
slimeattack said:
Anyone who thinks that blu-ray drives are slower check wikipedia.

Just did, the wikipedia page does NOT mention any comparisons between dual speed blu ray and 12 speed DVD so I dont know why you mention it here as some sort of proof that BD is faster.

Well okay let's do it this way, the spin speed is NOT an accurate way to determine read speed. As discs store more the info is more dense meaning it can read more by spinning less.

in effect a 1x DVD rom reads 10.5 MB/s a 1x Blu-ray drive reads 36MB/s by definition a blu-ray drive is about 3 times the read speed of a DVD drive.

Have some arbitrary rotation speed info! For a 12x dvd-drive Approx. 7,070 rpm (DVD-ROM single layer) Approx. 5,180 rpm (DVD-ROM dual layer) is expected. A 2x BD-drive spins at about 1,700RPM.
this means little to nothing on the read speed honestly the read speed is mostly defendant on the disc density and the capability of the drive. By definition a BD-drive reads faster but rotates slower reducing noise.

in perfect honesty the PS3s constant read speed with a 2x BD-drive is slower than a 12x DVD-drives -max- read speed by a little bit. I believe about 40mb/s but it is faster than a DVD-drive minimum read speed by about 15mb/s

Had Sony put a 4x drive in the PS3 the read speed on the PS3 would constantly surpass the 360's read speed.

Edit: Even if Xbox360's read speed for DVD-DL discs like stated above is only 8X even that would exceed a 2x BD drive at max read. This time the difference would be about 72mb/s for Blu-ray and about 90mb/s for DVD-DL however again BD wins over the minimum read speed for an 8x DVD by about 22 mb/s

Edit2: Let mes stress I say even if because I'm almost positive a DVD-DL read speed is about 2/3 of a DVD with a single layer. However not knowing exact specs for the 360's drive I will not say with 100% certinty.

Thanks...and yeah, I have a feeling Sony will implement 4x or faster Blu-ray drives in PS3s a little further in the generation.

PSN: Lone_Canis_Lupus

Around the Network
Lone_Canis_Lupus said:
souixan said:
Fishie said:
slimeattack said:
Anyone who thinks that blu-ray drives are slower check wikipedia.

Just did, the wikipedia page does NOT mention any comparisons between dual speed blu ray and 12 speed DVD so I dont know why you mention it here as some sort of proof that BD is faster.

Well okay let's do it this way, the spin speed is NOT an accurate way to determine read speed. As discs store more the info is more dense meaning it can read more by spinning less.

in effect a 1x DVD rom reads 10.5 MB/s a 1x Blu-ray drive reads 36MB/s by definition a blu-ray drive is about 3 times the read speed of a DVD drive.

Have some arbitrary rotation speed info! For a 12x dvd-drive Approx. 7,070 rpm (DVD-ROM single layer) Approx. 5,180 rpm (DVD-ROM dual layer) is expected. A 2x BD-drive spins at about 1,700RPM.
this means little to nothing on the read speed honestly the read speed is mostly defendant on the disc density and the capability of the drive. By definition a BD-drive reads faster but rotates slower reducing noise.

in perfect honesty the PS3s constant read speed with a 2x BD-drive is slower than a 12x DVD-drives -max- read speed by a little bit. I believe about 40mb/s but it is faster than a DVD-drive minimum read speed by about 15mb/s

Had Sony put a 4x drive in the PS3 the read speed on the PS3 would constantly surpass the 360's read speed.

Edit: Even if Xbox360's read speed for DVD-DL discs like stated above is only 8X even that would exceed a 2x BD drive at max read. This time the difference would be about 72mb/s for Blu-ray and about 90mb/s for DVD-DL however again BD wins over the minimum read speed for an 8x DVD by about 22 mb/s

Edit2: Let mes stress I say even if because I'm almost positive a DVD-DL read speed is about 2/3 of a DVD with a single layer. However not knowing exact specs for the 360's drive I will not say with 100% certinty.

Thanks...and yeah, I have a feeling Sony will implement 4x or faster Blu-ray drives in PS3s a little further in the generation.

Always happy to lend what I know to a conversation. Now I'm not a tech I don't work at sony or microsoft but I'm positive as it stands Blu-ray starts to really shine over DVD at 4x read speeds. Before that they're about the same to be completely honest with you.
Also keep in mind this is based on specs from the factories, this could all be based on perfect conditions only and actually be reduced across the board in real life use.

meh this thread is full of fail.

many games dont do act installs

souixan said:
Mr.Y said:

I MISS CARTRIDGES.

Me too, no moving parts, lower power consumption. Almost completely devoid of load times except for a few scarce exceptions. The ability to add chips to assist main processors etc. I sometimes wonder if with all the advances in flash memory if we'll ever see a cart based system again in the future.

It'll never happen because of cost to produce them.

gebx said:

First off let me say that its way better to see a movie on Blu Ray then on DVD. But this thread (and video consoles) isn't about movies but games.

Games are getting bigger and more complex, the pinnacle of video gaming on the PS3 console is currently MGS 4. The game is a masterpiece in many ways. Its a game that we all know would take multiple DVD's if it ever goes to the 360. I personally believe it will be a PS3 exclusive forever! But let's pretend the game does make it to the 360 and 360 users are forced to switch disc each act of the game. This would be seen as a negative on the 360... but is it?

Well let's compare!

- 360 users would have to switch disc 4 to 5 times, wasting about 30-45 seconds per switch
- PS3 users have to install new acts 4 times, wasting 1-3 minutes per install

I'm not even counting the 8 minute install needed at the start of the game, but it does seem that a 30-45 sec "switch" is less intrusive then a 3 minute install. I see no reason why this trend isn't followed in other big complex games such as FFXIII. PS3 users arn't complaining and 360 users are even getting the option in the upcoming patches. In the end it comes down to gamer's preferences, so I ask...

What would you prefer?

*MGS 4 install time http://dlb-network.com/2008/06/metal-gear-solid-4-install-time-break-down/

The thing about the install is that it could've been done once if sony didn't put a limit on gamedata. Frankly, its not that hard to upgrade a ps3 HD and its easy to delete old gamedata so they shouldn't have put a limit.

Secondly, dvd only works for games that can use multiple discs like adventure games,etc. Imagine a racer like GT5 with all its content, how would it be possible for a racer to span multiple discs?

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network

lol @ this thread.

Still, kudos to souixan for setting everyone straight.

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

There's advantages and disadvantages to each format, which most people are aware of. Blu Ray offers more storage space and quieter operation, at the cost of slower performance and more expensive production costs.

Sadly, way too many people have fallen victim to marketing BS and don't even believe Blu Ray has a performance disadvantage. All the transfer rate numbers thrown around in this thread are completely missing the point; the big problem with Blu Ray is the access time, not the transfer rate. Access time problems can be greatly reduced through data duplication and/or hard drive installations, though.

i have switched the discs of FFVII 40 times in my life I think, so I don't see the problem of disc switching;, i can't care about switching a disc 1 minute every 10 hours or so, people create problems where no problems exist

''Hadouken!''

KingOfKings said:

I cant even believe that someone even compare dvd's to Blu-ray's hahaha its like comparing Lamborghini to a Honda.

and the only reason why it installs for that there is no delays in the cutscenes which would be if it was on dvd

Its a valid comparison if the Honda is faster.

Also you are wrong on the cutscenes.

MakoInfused said:
Doesn't the 360 have to install now too? :P

Only for games like Age of Conan(32gig install on PC, will be same for X360)