By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why isn't the DS doing as well in America as in Japan or Europe

Of course it is not doing that good in America, DS has what? 31 months in the market? GBA had an Installed Base of almost 20 million by that time.

And look at software numbers of the biggest games, all of them (except for Nintendogs, which by the way is doing better in Europe) is doing better in Japan. New Super Mario Bros, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Brain Age, Big Brain, Tetris, Wario, and the 3rd party games.

Also consider DS in more expensive in Japan than in the US

Around the Network

Because American gamers tast varies. The DS is not graphic intense and there are a lot of Americans that want better graphics. Also, pirating on the PSP is extremely popular. The same cannot be said about the DS.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

This isn't a case of the DS doing poor in the US, it's a case of the DS absolutely crushing Japan. The DS has been the number one selling piece of hardware in North America for a while now. It's just that over in Japan it's on an indescribable level.

Well if you compare DS and GBA in America to each other DS is doing not even close as a comparison. But DS started off very slow while GBA kept going quite strongly. And it only recently took off in America. It really didn't take a strong turn in America until half way through 2006. But right now it's on the same pace as the GBA but it'll take a long time to overtake GBA sales in America.

StarcraftManiac said:

USA VS JAPAN total inhabitants:

Around 5:3.

USA: 300M

Japan: 127M

math?

Around the Network

I know a few people who pirate games on their DS.

Also, I'm an avid public transit user (This is in Canada though, we like to pretend we're different than America) and I watch to see how often people are playing their DS/PSP. Not often. I see about 2 DS/1 PSP 1GB/GBA every 50 trips or so. Even on my bus rides of 30 min +.

Of course, it depends on the time. I'm ignoring any time I'm on a bus and school comes out, then you've got juniour high/ high schoolers playing theirs. Talking about 18+, or appear to be 18+.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Funny thing is, DS is still beating the PSP in the U.S.

DS is still beating everything everywhere.

The DS will not reach its potential in america until it adopts the GBA sales. Period.

Yes DS is crushing Japan moreso than America, but america still has the GBA crapping on the PS3. The public hasnt made that shift from GBA to DS yet. Its going to happen slowly now that pokemon is out, but just check the charts. GBA is dead everywhere that the DS is dominating. It isnt dead here yet.

Veggie said:
This isn't a case of the DS doing poor in the US, it's a case of the DS absolutely crushing Japan. The DS has been the number one selling piece of hardware in North America for a while now. It's just that over in Japan it's on an indescribable level.

I absolutely agree with that. What the DS is doing in Japan really crushes anything any video game system has ever done. On a pupulation basis I don't think any system in American or Europe could ever sell that fast. It's a system made for the Japanese market more than anything. But that still leaves the fact that it's doing better in Europe hanging. Not even the Playstation 1 and 2 systems sold more in Europe than America (though they came close). I think the Public Transit thing some people have mentioned could be a factor. But still going back to the GBA that did far better in America that anywhere else. I just think adults in the US, for whatever reason, haven't gone to the DS in the way they have in Europe. Brain Age and Nintendogs have done better in Europe than the US, while games like Mario Bros and Mario Kart do better America (I believe so). Tells me the non gamer is more a factor in European sales.