By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - GTAIV for PC accidentally confirmed?

[Source Kotaku]

Rumor: Prank Results in Half-Assed "Confirmation" of GTA IV for PC

Not sure what to make of this. Bullshit radar says "proof of nothing" because there's no reason for tech support to be looped in on a game in development. That said, two guys worked up an extremely patient, social engineering prank that had 2K Games support believing, or at least suspicious of the possibility of a hacked Grand Theft Auto IV demo on pirate sites. And in the back-and-forth, it turned up this reply from tech support:

"The PC version of GTA IV has not even been announced for release and is still in development so is not about to be released on a website."

The entire conversation is very long and almost takes on the scope of a 419 baiter thread. But they do provide screenshots (granted, those can be faked too.)

Basically, these two guys concoct a detailed tech support problem with a free demo of Grand Theft Auto IV, and see if Take 2 will bite. Of course, they do, but only to a point. After getting that little nugget above — which they're convinced was copypasted from some higher-up's response to befuddled tech support — they get another tech who is less fun and a little more circumspect about their claims.

While the last message does say, "We are unsure when the PC version of the game will be released," that does not mean, "We are sure it will be coming out, just not when." I am likewise unsure of when I'll win the Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstakes.

ComputerandVideoGames.net reported rumors back in April that a PC GTA IV was due out in October, citing European retailers. That didn't bring a denial from Rockstar UK, just "no comment." So unless and until Rockstar wants to lay the rumor smash, this remains rumor only. I wouldn't get my hopes up, but you never know.

Around the Network

Nice bait and switch for those guys calling support ;)

Weren't we all 99.9999999999% sure it was coming anyways?

Hopefully this time around I won't have to wait years to play it on the PC...

If they release GTA IV for PC, it won't be this Christmas. That would kill sales of console versions, and Rockstar makes bigger profits on them (lots of piracy on PC).

Around the Network

i knew it was coming all along

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Expect to have to upgrade your PC yet again to play the next big game as usual. PC gaming is expensive and does not constitute value and that is why heaps of people are turning to console gaming. Having to upgrade computer systems every two years is not good at all.

We know it is coming at some point, it is just a question of when

It would come out without any confirmation or anything.

well i guess i will be selling my ps3 verson and geting the pc version when it comes out