By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Does Sony not care about third parties? (FF XIII related)

@HappySqurriel,
1) FACT - inferior.
2) oh, really! 1-2 mln. x360 owners won`t buy PS3 - BIG deal. =))

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network
Soriku said:
My point is that Sony can't live off first party and some second party games forever. MS is buying exclusives and multiplats. If the game does really well on the 360 then third parties might not put that certain game on the PS3. Userbase is crucial and without the proper third party support it could hurt them. MS can always buy exclusivity or companies can just make games Wii exclusive (MS hasn't gone after Wii exclusives. They seem to only want to hurt Sony.). I mean...yeah, the PS3 won't sell 100 mil+ but couple that with the fact that they don't make much money on the PS3 and third parties are leaving Sony (making 360 games exclusive or multiplat) and Wii games as exclusive.

Well Nintendo did that  for the Gamecube and N64 era, and they did well for themselves as far as quality titles and profitability. I really think Sony has said again and again that they want to make money, and then start buying out titles. I think it might not be late to beat the 360 then (next year).

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Soriku said:
My point is that Sony can't live off first party and some second party games forever. MS is buying exclusives and multiplats. If the game does really well on the 360 then third parties might not put that certain game on the PS3. Userbase is crucial and without the proper third party support it could hurt them. MS can always buy exclusivity or companies can just make games Wii exclusive (MS hasn't gone after Wii exclusives. They seem to only want to hurt Sony.). I mean...yeah, the PS3 won't sell 100 mil+ but couple that with the fact that they don't make much money on the PS3 and third parties are leaving Sony (making 360 games exclusive or multiplat) and Wii games as exclusive.

I agree. While I think it smart to have many first party games (they make good money), the most important games on the PS(2) except for GT were third party. I don't get this whole "oh well, they lost FF XIII's exclusivity, be now we got MAG!!!" (that's why I made my should sony buy exclusives when they are profitable? thread). While MAG will probably be a good game, it will not sell any ps3's at all. FF XIII would have sold many PS3's, look at MGS 4's effect in NA.

And I do think Sony cares, they're just too proud (too ashamed?) too announce it. After all, a proud we don't need FF/GTA/DMC/... looks better than saying ohh noo we're losing all our games, but still buy our system!

One thing I don't agree with, though. Nintendo made some nice profits with the Cube, but not as much as Sony made with the PS2. Remember, there was a GBA which sold very nice numbers.

Soriku said:
SnakeEyez said:
It's not that they don't care, IDK y everybody keeps coming to that conclusion. It's just that Microsoft has SOO much money (obviously) that they rather not spend overly amount of money on a third party exclusive (which they will still get) knowing that Microsoft can easily match and surpass wat Sony offers. Since I already own a PS3 (not just cuz of FFXIII), I would rather them spend the money they could have spent on FFXIII exclusivity on funding new games/1st party studios.

Well...like I said, if games sell exceptionally well on the 360 they might not bother putting them on the PS3. Also, assuming the games don't release at the same time on both systems and the 360 gets it first, the game will likely not sell very well on the PS3 since the hype will likely be gone. If it releases at the same time...sales will be divided. Also, you have to take in the fact that by early next year the Wii will likely be over 50% marketshare so companies (especially Japanese) might rather choose to make a Wii exclusive game and not a PS360 game.

Well there is nothing Sony can do. This is a console war, MS is going to treat it as such and fund the 360 until it gets wat it wants (exclusives, in this case, FFXIII multi-plat). Sony can't go up against Microsoft in a bidding war, so instead of admitting that, they put that money to funding possibly more than 1 first party game and make it the best that it can be (and rightfully so) and not have to worry about ever going to the 360. Also, it aint like most third party devs won't make a game multi-plat, thats how it is now. War has changed.

Also, I doubt that unless MS pays for timed exclusivity, third party devs wont release one before the other knowing that that can hamper the sales of the second console.

Doublepost

Around the Network
SnakeEyez said:
Soriku said:
SnakeEyez said:
It's not that they don't care, IDK y everybody keeps coming to that conclusion. It's just that Microsoft has SOO much money (obviously) that they rather not spend overly amount of money on a third party exclusive (which they will still get) knowing that Microsoft can easily match and surpass wat Sony offers. Since I already own a PS3 (not just cuz of FFXIII), I would rather them spend the money they could have spent on FFXIII exclusivity on funding new games/1st party studios.

Well...like I said, if games sell exceptionally well on the 360 they might not bother putting them on the PS3. Also, assuming the games don't release at the same time on both systems and the 360 gets it first, the game will likely not sell very well on the PS3 since the hype will likely be gone. If it releases at the same time...sales will be divided. Also, you have to take in the fact that by early next year the Wii will likely be over 50% marketshare so companies (especially Japanese) might rather choose to make a Wii exclusive game and not a PS360 game.

Well there is nothing Sony can do. This is a console war, MS is going to treat it as such and fund the 360 until it gets wat it wants (exclusives, in this case, FFXIII multi-plat). Sony can't go up against Microsoft in a bidding war, so instead of admitting that, they put that money to funding possibly more than 1 first party game and make it the best that it can be (and rightfully so) and not have to worry about ever going to the 360. Also, it aint like most third party devs won't make a game multi-plat, thats how it is now. War has changed.

Also, I doubt that unless MS pays for timed exclusivity, third party devs wont release one before the other knowing that that can hamper the sales of the second console.

But the thing is, making one or two new 1st party games isn't going to have a hardware effect like FF XIII would have. More users who are also ptential buyrs for the first party games.

And that's where MS comes in, they are stealing PS3's sales by buying exclusives and multiplats.

Zuhyc said:
SnakeEyez said:
Soriku said:
SnakeEyez said:

But the thing is, making one or two new 1st party games isn't going to have a hardware effect like FF XIII would have. More users who are also ptential buyrs for the first party games.

And that's where MS comes in, they are stealing PS3's sales by buying exclusives and multiplats.

Yea ur right. I was just talking about a gamer's perspective. I already have a PS3, so FFXIII multi plat doesn't really affect me cuz I will still be buying it 1st day guaranteed. So that's y 1 or maybe 2 new first party titles is better for me. As a company, yes, FFXIII was a huge blow, as for gamers (there are a lot of games exclusive to PS3 that gamers would want to play), not so big. For fanboys, even bigger blow than for Sony (that is wat they r making it out to be)

Games that coming till the end of spring 2009.

1. Resistance 2 - FPS
2. Little Big Planet - Inovation/Platform
3. Socom Confrontation - FPS
4. Afrika - Relaxing
5. Valkyria Chronicles - TRPG
6. Motorstorm:Pacific Rift - Racing
7. Naruto: Ultimate Storm - Fighting/Adventure
8. Disgaea 3 - TRPG
9. Siren New Translation - Horror
10. Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty - Platform
11. Killzone 2 - FPS
12. Infamous - Sandbox
13. Jakuza 3(japan) - Sandbox
14. WKS - JRPG
15. Tekken 6 - Figthing
16. M.A.G. - MMO FPS
17. GoW3 - Slasher
18. Cross Edge - JRPG
19. Way of the Samurai 3

That`s almost 2 exclusives per month. =) THAT is NOT enough?

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Soriku said:
SnakeEyez said:
Soriku said:
SnakeEyez said:

Third parties have a few choices. Either release a game on the PS3 or 360 first and see if it sells well enough to not warrantba multiplat release (probably won't be the case though. I expect mostly multiplats with these games.) OR they can make a Wii exclusive game (the Wii will be over 50% marketshare early next year anyway...).

I thought that this wasn't about Nintendo and their market share . Anyways, u r right, devs have a choice, big budget game on the ps3/360 or wii game. The thing with that is that some devs feel like they want to make a HD game (if that's wat they want to make) and they will no matter how much nintendo's market share is, which is also the same reason y devs would make a Wii game (if that's wat they want to make) no matter how big the HD market share is.

CrazzyMan said:
Games that coming till the end of spring 2009.

1. Resistance 2 - FPS
2. Little Big Planet - Inovation/Platform
3. Socom Confrontation - TPS
4. Afrika - Relaxing
5. Valkyria Chronicles - SRPG
6. Motorstorm:Pacific Rift - Racing
7. Naruto: Ultimate Storm - Fighting/Adventure
8. Disgaea 3 - SRPG
9. Siren New Translation - Survival Horror
10. Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty - Platform
11. Killzone 2 - FPS
12. Infamous - Sandbox
13. Jakuza 3(japan) - Sandbox
14. WKS - JRPG
15. Tekken 6 - Figthing
16. M.A.G. - MMO FPS
17. GoW3 - Action/Adventure
18. Cross Edge - JRPG
19. Way of the Samurai 3

That`s almost 2 exclusives per month. =) THAT is NOT enough?

Fixed . Anyways, they are not talking about exclusives, they are talking about system selling exclusives, which FFXIII was. Alot of those are not even known, so not going to be a system seller at all, not even a small boost (WTF is Cross Edge?)