Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: "exactly where we expected to be"

Gotta love Jack.

Around the Network
Aj_habfan said:

Gotta love Jack.

hahaha ,, this is my first to see that,, "i asked why?" lolz

kowenicki said:
PS3 launch event....

"So jack, where do you expect to be by July 2008?".... "well we expect to be in 3rd place, with the wii marching off over the horizon and 5.5m sales behind our nearest competitor"

They didn't expect this at launch.  But expectations change and compared to 1 year ago, the PS3 is doing very well.  It's becoming the HD console leader and there is still a chance it may turn a profit at some point.  Because their initial sales projections were wrong, what are they supposed to say?  That they are a failure everytime they get in front of a camera?  Its a little bit of spin by looking at the past year, but I still think that based on the horrid start of the PS3 that he's not being that unrealistic.  PS3's future is improving.

that video is really old news. it doesnt hold anymore, but still funny to watch. all corporate talk is always full of spin.

i believe sony expected to be going into thier 2nd year with more drive forward than the 360 going into its 3rd year.

this is clearly shown in sales coming off the xmas 2007 flurry.

i am truly amazed that in NA a higher priced ps3 console sells more than a lower priced 360 console, this will be further enhanced/accelerated/acheivmentated by the superb $399 80 gig and the £299 80 gig, this is superb value for money this xmas.

the new 360 60 gig, which should retail around £199 in the uk is good value for money, i may pick one up on the back end of the year to keep upstairs, but the new model has a few strings attached to it.

i expect ps3 to be right behind 360 after xmas 2009, and i stick to my prediction of a leap-frog over 360 mid 2009 which i believe will be one of the greatest gaming achievments ever for me!

i also expect 360 to put in heavy sales numbers for remainder of the year, with titles like gears 2 and fable 2. gears 2 will be the major system seller for 360 this xmas. but if was to pick a winner this year, on his occasion i would have to go with ps3

if i was to advise on a purchase this xmas, id say "sod the increased petrol prices, gas/electric, council tax - just buy a ps360"

2008 is a great year for gaming, and will be even greater for me since my tax code has been lowered

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

He's talking about June NPD. They should get feedback from retailers so it's not really surprising they were where they expected to be.

Around the Network
Galaki said:
The new 80G SKU is just the same as 40G version with "bigger" HDD.

I think the $50 off the Xbox 360 is much more a price slash than simply increasing the 40G to 80G.

Perceive value of 80G model is surely twice as much that of 40G. Whichever works to make people buy 'em, I guess.

There wasn't really a price slash for xbox360, they just cleared the way for 60gb model.

of course they are saying that. Otherwise investors would cut off immediately.

the real fact is they didn't expect this, at all.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Sheeuk, not to discredit the validity of this thread, but this seems more like an exercise in trying to communally rationalize corporate hype.

Just because the PS3 is doing better now does not mean it's where they've always wanted it to be. In the short term are they pleased? Most likely, they're certainly doing better than the deadend trend they were facing a year ago, but in the long term, it's still making up for lost time and could easily lose its momentum or see a reverse of progress should it not be able to change its luck.

This is a company who is notorious for spinning reality to suit their needs, so such statements must be taken with a grain of salt.

Lets skip the global domination talk for a moment, PS3 surpassed 360 in Japan and Europe, and its gonna stay like till the end; it all comes down to the biggest market for 360, the Americas. It's gonna a tough nut job for PS3 to surpass it at home, maybe never.

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

So they expected to be in third place at this point in the console's cycle? Just wondering out loud.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger