By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Wow, The Video Selection on the PSN is much better than I thought.

I was expecting it to be pretty barebones after hearing rumors that Sony would be the only movie studio starting out on the store, but there are already movies there from almost every major studio, excluding Universal and Weinstein (minor studio).  I did a quick count and there were probably around 170-200 movies on there already, whereas I expected from what I read that there were only about 50-70.  That isn't even mentioning the TV shows.

Disney, Warner Brothers, and Paramount still have relatively small selections, but Sony Pictures, MGM (owned by Sony), Fox, and Lionsgate all have anywhere from 20-55 movies already.  Pretty good start from something I really didn't expect much from.

Somebody said there weren't any Disney movies to start, so has it been updated already?

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

Stop teasing the rest of the world, we have to wait until next year

I was fingering through the store on the PC also. Pretty nice array of titles. Very well done.

Yeah, I do wish more of them had an HD counterpart (about 1/3 to 1/2 do), and I do wish you could buy them in HD (may come in the future...), but I am pretty content with the store for now.

Hell, I never thought I would use it, but I do want to check out that exclusive anime show they have.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Munkeh111 said:
Stop teasing the rest of the world, we have to wait until next year

What?! That sucks....

PSN: Lone_Canis_Lupus

Around the Network

i wish their anime selection was better.. and im shocked not to see the boondocks on there since its from sony pictures...

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

I had like $2.50 extra from a couple of PSN game downloads from long ago so I figured I'd try out the video store.

For the heck of it, I spent $1.99 on an episode of Family Guy. I don't think purchasing individual episodes like that considering that is totally worth it. Couldn't you probably be better off buying the entire season at the store?

Anyway, the episode was around 350megs and downloaded pretty quickly. I don't remember the exact time it took to download because I started watching it while downloading.

When it comes to renting and buying more things, I guess it's going to depend on the price and such. Going out to rent something isn't too difficult. The question ought to be, how long do you get to keep a movie you rent through the store and how many times can you watch it?

IllegalPaladin said:

I had like $2.50 extra from a couple of PSN game downloads from long ago so I figured I'd try out the video store.

For the heck of it, I spent $1.99 on an episode of Family Guy. I don't think purchasing individual episodes like that considering that you'd probably be better off buying the entire season.

Anyway, the episode was around 350megs and downloaded pretty quickly. I don't remember the exact time it took to download because I started watching it while downloading.

When it comes to renting and buying more things, I guess it's going to depend on the price and such. Going out to rent something isn't too difficult. The question ought to be, how long do you get to keep a movie you rent through the store and how many times can you watch it?

True, but not for anime. It's actually a great deal to d/l them per episode as you save tons of $.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Fair enough. I don't really purchase a lot of movies or TV shows, but mainly rent or barrow.

Question for the video store...is the purchase just a one time thing? Or if you're hard drive were to say corrupt or something...could you redownload what you purchased before?

PSN: Lone_Canis_Lupus