By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - When SCE makes profit, should/will they buy exclusives?

Sony's internal game making force is to be proud of. 20 or so studios producing titles for any of their consoles. Why buy exclusives when you have that at your disposal?

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

It really is that ole proverb

'Give a man to fish you feed him for a day, Teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime"

Sony has chosen to learn to fish, and MS is content to pander for whatever they can get. No matter how much money MS may have, Sony's position is the much stronger one for the long term, and the long term is what really matters.

I would rather they keep reducing productions costs of the ps3 so they can make a profit, and then go after market share by dropping the price. The more consoles = more software sale = more money from 1st party games = more reason for 3rd parties to want to develop on your system. quite frankly they need to (and are) worrying about just getting as much money back this gen as they can and get back to top form next gen, the wii is the media darling and that alone will get the "casuals" to gobble it up, play for second place and wait for the next go around.

Zuhyc said:
FilaBrasileiro said:
No, they should invest in their own internal development as well as acquiring close 2nd party studios. The only time they should pay up is to keep a HUGE title like say GTA5 from going exclusive to competing consoles.

Well that's what I mean. Versus XIII is a big exclusive to give an example. Should Sony pay to keep FF XIV or other FF XIII spinoffs exclusive? Imo, they should.

And don't you guys think they should investing money in Japanese studios? The only good games SCEJ is bringing us is GT 5, Siren and White Knight Chronicles (as a 2nd party game) while SCEE and SCEA are making a shitload of games (SCEE is even trying to attract casuals with SingStar and Buzz).

I don't think they should, they should only pay if SE came to them and said hey Sony listen, we are going 360/Wii exclusive unless you pay up to have FFIV on your system.
In that case Sony should pay up, multiplatform games will become the norm so paying for exclusive will become prohibitively expensive.
And yes, Sony should invest in Japanese studios, either buy close partners like Level 5 or NIS or start up a studio of their own that develop nothing but JRPGs, SRPGs and those weird japanese games.

but sony has other money in other departments so there still going to make a profit now if the wii stopped selling (which most likely wont happen aha) then they would have to worry about making a profit constantly because they dont have any other profit

Around the Network

Sony has plenty of exclusives as it is. Sure, FFXIII was a bit of a loss but miniscule compared to GoW, MGS, R&C, Resistance, MotorStorm, LBP, WKC, GT5 and tons of others. Sony has already released a mountain of awesome exclusives and trying to 'buy' them would be unecessary. Consumers will know what to do (ie, buy PS3 exlusives).

I want Sony to expand their internal development even further just looking at Feb issue of Playstation The Official Magazine they are already doing a good job at that in SCEA SCEE and SCEJ...However i want Sony to secure big titles from 3rd party dev's now whether its current gen or next gen (GTA 5 or 6...FF13VS and FF14...maybe some new ip from Capcom and Konami) they need to also reduce production costs...maybe introduce a slim in a year or tw

double post

I dont think so , but IMO they wont need to neither , after this year their 1st party lineup will be strong enough to warant for most gamers a purchase ;)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

they should buy some smaller developers that alredy make quality titles and maybe increase their size