By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - When SCE makes profit, should/will they buy exclusives?

It's pretty that at the moment, Sony doesn't care if the PS3 beats the 360 or not. The only thing the big boys at Sony want is that SCE starts making some money instead of losing a shitload of it.

Promotring first-party games is a part of SCE's strategy to make money (so is keeping the PS2 alive as long as possible),  SCE can make a lot of money buy selling FP games (look at Nintendo).

Now, eventually, SCE will actually make profits (hopefully for them, this fiscal year will be profitable). When they have profit, they have a lot of extra money to spend, money they can spend at buying some exclusives. But will they do so?

I believe they should, MS will keep doing it to hurt the PS3. For example, securing Versus XIII's exclusivity will help the sales (we all know FF XIII has a much bigger effect sales wise though), so will other games. They can be JRPG's, they can be other, western games.

What do you think of this? Will Sony start buying some exclusives eventually, or will they keep their 'we don't moneyhat' attitude, even after they have the money?

Around the Network

As they've pointed out in several interview they are putting their $ in internal development! So that they can rely on their own capabilities when things don't look that brightfull on the 3rd party (exclusive) side... Resulting in: Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, God of War etc...

THE NETHERLANDS

They should just invest in more First party games that is something no one can buys.

Yeah, but I belive part of the reason why they are shifting to internal developement (besides the fact of everlasting exclusivity) is they can make alot of money out of those games, Sony only makes like €/$10 out of each third party game. The money they make out of internal games can partially be used to buy some exclusives, even if they are timed.

No, they should invest in their own internal development as well as acquiring close 2nd party studios. The only time they should pay up is to keep a HUGE title like say GTA5 from going exclusive to competing consoles.

Around the Network

I would MUCH rather fund the next Naughty Dog and Insomnia games than fork out 50 million for exclusive DLC.

That's just me, I rather want 2 AAA games than some content.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

They're already buying exclusives. Just look at MGS4: a paid advertisement for Sony if ever there was one.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Nah, Sony would rather use the money to buy more studios and/or better fund their current studios than buy timed exclusivity. If we've learned anything about Sony over the 15+ years they've been in the business, it's that they think long term more than short term.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

FilaBrasileiro said:
No, they should invest in their own internal development as well as acquiring close 2nd party studios. The only time they should pay up is to keep a HUGE title like say GTA5 from going exclusive to competing consoles.

Well that's what I mean. Versus XIII is a big exclusive to give an example. Should Sony pay to keep FF XIV or other FF XIII spinoffs exclusive? Imo, they should.

And don't you guys think they should investing money in Japanese studios? The only good games SCEJ is bringing us is GT 5, Siren and White Knight Chronicles (as a 2nd party game) while SCEE and SCEA are making a shitload of games (SCEE is even trying to attract casuals with SingStar and Buzz).

jman8 said:
Nah, Sony would rather use the money to buy more studios and/or better fund their current studios than buy timed exclusivity. If we've learned anything about Sony over the 15+ years they've been in the business, it's that they think long term more than short term.

And it's starting to pay of! Blu Ray has won and PS3 sales are getting better and better as time progresses!... After a bad start it's getting cranked up right now! Which is great!

THE NETHERLANDS