By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: 'Disappointed in Square Enix'

Sony's got to rely more on internal development and the aquisition of 3rd party developers as opposed to buying exclusives , inefective for the short term but a killer long term stratergy.

Around the Network
weezy said:
square just bitch slapped sony. ofcourse he cries himself to sleep at night

Yooo Weezy you the hardest dude up on VG Chartz:

Godot said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
And where's the proof this was paid for?

And even if it was, why didn't the supposed deal include FF XIII in the region the 360 needed it most?

That's pretty much a proof Microsoft paid for it when Sony say it themselves.

How is Sony accusing their competitors proof? They didn't even know about this at first, so how could they know the reason S-E did this? That's not proof at all, so don't pretend it is.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Soriku said:

Comic time (hint: Shiva the Motorycle):

Haha that's a good one.

Shameless said:

"Sony's Tretton: 'Disappointed' In Multiplatform FFXIII Through MS' 'Currying Favor' Speaking at a roundtable Q&A attended by Gamasutra, Sony's Jack Tretton has been discussing Final Fantasy XIII's move from a PlayStation 3 exclusive to a multiplatform title, suggesting Microsoft has spent most of their money "trying to curry favor with third parties".

When asked whether he was disappointed about the surprise announcement that the game would also debut on Xbox 360 in the West, Tretton noted: "I guess disappointed is clearly an appropriate term."

Tretton then launched into invective discussing Sony's decision to concentrate heavily on internal development, noting that it constituted "over half of our employee base all over the world", and adding that "...we've built up our base and that's where we've chosen to spend our dollars."

However, he warned: "I think Microsoft has spent the majority of their money on trying to curry favor with third parties" - implying that Final Fantasy XIII moving to multiplatform was more of a Microsoft-subsidized decision than one guided purely by sales reasons.

Tretton concluded: "I think software companies look and say 'there's no check big enough for us to do exclusive development' ...I think it's going to be harder and harder to have third-party exclusives as we move forward."

Gamasutra will have more from Tretton's roundtable Q&A in the near future, including lots more detail on the state of Sony."

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19448

Looks like they really were suprised by this announcement.

So, basically, Sony is accusing MS of running the same playbook Sony ran when the PS One was loosed upon the world? Oh the sweet, sweet irony (sweet for me; bitter for Sony)!

Around the Network
Leetgeek said:
The thing is if FF 13doesn't turn 360 sales around and the Ps3 continues to sell more (as it did last week in NA) then Microsoft is finished in the console business. Coming in 3rd place twice in a row is not a good look after you've spent hundreds of millions of dollars just trying to make PS3 exclusives go Multiplat.

its not all about console sales. games tend to sell very well on the 360. even if hardware boost isn't that huge for M$ but the game sells well its still a huge win. even if they come in third this generation and developers see that sw that sells more on 360, what company do you think their going to develop for?

3DS FC: 4355-9313-6815

Million said:
Sony's got to rely more on internal development and the aquisition of 3rd party developers as opposed to buying exclusives , inefective for the short term but a killer long term stratergy.

Yes and no ...

Right now that strategy will work amazingly well for Nintendo. They have massive revenues, low costs, low development costs, massive cash supply (they're building a money-bin to swim in) and solid sales which means that they can buy just about any developer they desire and fund their development without worrying about whether these games are successful or not. This may not sound like a massive advantage, but it is easier to develop talent while working on smaller projects that do not need to be released on time or to be successful than it is when they're working on larger projects that need to be released on a strict schedule, sell well and sell systems.

It still will be a good strategy for them, but Sony also needs the big titles to sell more systems in order to have the userbase to support their massive development costs.

Oh, boohoohoo Sony. Get over it. It's business. Accusing MS of paying 3rd parties to get games on their system? What. The. H*ll. What exactly do they think they've been doing themselves for over a decade, sprinkle 3rd parties with strawberry flavoured chocolate chips to get them to make games for their machines?
Their arrogance and fake innocence makes me wanna puke.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

HappySqurriel said:
Million said:

Yes and no ...

Right now that strategy will work amazingly well for Nintendo. They have massive revenues, low costs, low development costs, massive cash supply (they're building a money-bin to swim in) and solid sales which means that they can buy just about any developer they desire and fund their development without worrying about whether these games are successful or not. This may not sound like a massive advantage, but it is easier to develop talent while working on smaller projects that do not need to be released on time or to be successful than it is when they're working on larger projects that need to be released on a strict schedule, sell well and sell systems.

It still will be a good strategy for them, but Sony also needs the big titles to sell more systems in order to have the userbase to support their massive development costs.

I don't think Sony can rule out the possibility of securing 3rd party exclusives through money hatting , i'm just saying they should shift the priorities towards in house development and aquisition.

I definately thin MS moneyhetted this. I mean by the time this game releases Sony will just about pulled even or may have already passed MS in userbase. I know everyone likes to think MS's pockets have no bottom, but the reality is everyones do. I think the way MS runs it;'s gaming division is pretty fiscally irrisponsible and it will eventually get burned on one of these deal. this deal might be the one.