By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: 'Disappointed in Square Enix'

Everyone is acting like poor ole Sony is doesn't have a dime to their name when in fact they have quite a bit of money to throw around.

Around the Network

xbox360 sounds more like port, because it would be smart to start development when the ps3 ver is so advance.

also they talk about compressing stuff :(, thats bad.

BMaker11 said:

One thing I don't get.....why does everyone try and say that they made it multiplatform to recoup dev costs....when it COSTS MONEY TO DEVELOP BOTH VERSIONS!!! How do you shave off development costs by developing a game on another platform?

It costs 10% the price of a game to port it (according to estimates.)

Assuming 360 sells at least 10% more. (1 million for 360 total... it should do at least that.)  It makes back it's money.

nice read

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

SWA_JM_Obi-Wan said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Can someone please explain why Microsoft would pay to have the game, but not in the region it would help the most?

Well for all we know the price tag for that to happen might have been even more than MS was willing to pay. I know some fanboys think this was a huge attack move for MS. The way I see it is it was more of a defensive move. This wasn't a move to gain new sales, it was a move to keep existing 360 owners from going out and buying PS3's for this game. MS has no real 1st party support, while sony's 1st party studios are getting better and better. MS is just trying to pull away what 3rd party exclusives they can to stop the bleeding. with their pathetice japan userbase the price tag would have been redunkulous.

lawl lawl lawl lawl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLhpUPNPIs

360 IS OPERATIONAL AFTER 37 DAYS!

Around the Network

I have no problem with ports - the more, the merrier. But what concerns me is the chance that FF13 isn't going to be all it could be. A dual-layer BluRay could hold 50GB, enough for a rich and detailed game-world. I checked my copy of the FF12 disc, and my laptop says it has 3.7 GB of data.

Clearly, any Microsoft version of a true next-gen RPG will need at least 3 DVDs, maybe 4, and that's before triple and quadruple layer BluRay arrive. With other franchises, this wouldn't be an issue, but FF has always been about pushing the edge. If they're not going to push the edge anymore, then sayonara, SE - I'll buy games which do push the envelope.

I think they'd be better off designing games specifically for the 360, rather than potentially hamstringing their game design.

Doesn't sony own part of S-E, therefore, they are disappointed in themselves?

I figured with some of the insanity PS3 fanboys are coughing up these days, I might as well give them something to jump all over.

Anyway, it's just business and come up-pance I guess, because Sony needed to be brought down a few pegs (nintendo will too soon). S-E are in the business of making money, and with MS making a move on other "sony franchises" you would think Sony would have made a huge effort to keep arguably it's biggest 3rd party title exclusive.

Evidently they are under the impression that developers have a sense of honour and loyalty, which is a big mistake to make, they, like sony are in it for the money and just as sony was cut-throat in it's demolition of the N64 and Gamecube, 3rd party dev's will jump ship the second they see it start to leak.

SlorgNet said:
I have no problem with ports - the more, the merrier. But what concerns me is the chance that FF13 isn't going to be all it could be. A dual-layer BluRay could hold 50GB, enough for a rich and detailed game-world. I checked my copy of the FF12 disc, and my laptop says it has 3.7 GB of data.

Clearly, any Microsoft version of a true next-gen RPG will need at least 3 DVDs, maybe 4, and that's before triple and quadruple layer BluRay arrive. With other franchises, this wouldn't be an issue, but FF has always been about pushing the edge. If they're not going to push the edge anymore, then sayonara, SE - I'll buy games which do push the envelope.

I think they'd be better off designing games specifically for the 360, rather than potentially hamstringing their game design.

Square has basically confirmed that it won't.

From Gamasutra:

Square Enix: Final Fantasy XIII Going Multi-Platform Is Game Changer For Biz

Many in the industry have viewed the announcement that Square Enix's Final Fantasy XIII will go multi-platform - appearing on the Xbox 360 as well as the PlayStation 3 in the West - as a crucial apex in the game hardware wars.

It was Sony's last presumed big third-party published exclusive for PlayStation 3, and the day and date Xbox 360 release in North America and Europe has dealt the PlayStation 3 platform a major blow in terms of Sony-only titles.

Therefore, Gamasutra asked Square Enix senior vice president of sales and marketing Shinji Hashimoto whether he felt that the announcement was, of sorts, a turning point for the game industry.

"More than a turning point, you could say that perhaps this is a change in trends for the game industry as a whole," he offered. "In the past, a single platform would be at the top, and the others would not be so close.

"But now each console has many users, so this has kind of dictated the way that Final Fantasy will evolve in the future, and why it's being released on multiple consoles at once."

When asked about the viability of future exclusives, Hashimoto was somewhat elusive. "[Releasing on a] single platform doesn't necessarily limit the market," he said. "There's software that's specific to certain hardware, and uses those capabilities to its max. Nintendo does that, and there's Gears of War for Microsoft. These titles do very well."

However, the Square Enix executive concluded: "There's not just one formula for success. But with Final Fantasy, the aim is to have as many people enjoy it as possible, so this is the form our marketing has taken."

These comments came as part of a larger interview with Hashimoto to debut on Gamasutra in the near future.

FFXIII will not be using the ps3's capabilities to the max.

You mean Sony didn't know about the agreement!? Square Enix, I never thought you'd be a backstabbing biatch! Well, the God of War III trailer somewhat makes up for this...

Shameless said:

Tretton concluded: "I think software companies look and say 'there's no check big enough for us to do exclusive development' ...I think it's going to be harder and harder to have third-party exclusives as we move forward."

This man seems to not understand the size of the wallet that got exclusivity on Star Ocean 4, Infinite Undiscovery, Beautiful Katamari, Dead or Alive 4, Ninja Gaiden II, Ace Combat 6, Tales of Vesperia, Culdcept Saga, Mobile Ops: The One Year War, The Last Remnant(timed exclusivity), Splinter Cell: Conviction, Guilty Gear 2 Overture, Warhammer: Battle March, C&C: Red Alert 3, Velvet Assassin, Dead Island, Blood Bowl, Zoids Assault, Age of Conan, Spectral Force 3, Operation Darkness, Command and Conquer 3, Supreme Commander, Universe At War, Fontlines: Fuel of War, Dance Dance Revolution Universe, Eternal Sonata(timed exclusivity), Kengo Legend of the 9, Project Sylpheed, Prine of Persia Classic, Tenchu Z, Call of Juarez, WarTech: Senko No Ronde, Earth Defense Force 2017, Bullet Witch, and Dead or Alive Xtreme 2.

(Disclaimer: Obviously Microsoft didn't pocket all of these games. Many came naturally, as I doubt MS would shell out anything over a lincoln for Bullet Witch exclusivity.)

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.