By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: 'Disappointed in Square Enix'

Ok.. I might take Tretton's word... The only question remaining is will vXIII really really really really really really really..............................................................................................................................................................really exclusive?

Around the Network

One of the first lessons in business is to not take it personally. If MS offered SE money for FFXIII, then SE would be batshit insane not to except it. They are getting paid to bring the game to a larger audience thereby raising the potential profits. In case you cannot ascertain what that means, they are getting paid money to make more money. Of course, all of that is contingent on the presupposition that MS paid SE for the game. And even if MS did not pay SE money for the game, it still makes sense for SE to offer their game to a larger audience.

heh. long thread. if i wuz at home i'd prollie read it first b4 makin' mah comment i'm about to make..........

at least sony will make money off of it; having owned shares and all...
heheh=)

anyway, it is a low blow on sony.
that's not real cool, but business is business. loyalty has little to do w/ it.

whatever the issue was w/ them and nintendo at the time,
they are looking at it in business standpoint.

though, nintendo is different (in gaming division)
nintendo acquired pokémon to fill in the gap that square had.

sony better work on purchasing some great 2nd party, or 3rd party devs.
all in all, if nintendo can make a comeback from two horrible consoles... sony can...

i doubt sony will ever be in this position again

Soriku said:
psrock said:
trestres said:
OK SE, time to move some Sony exclusives like KH3 (Which you already did, a DS one is coming), DQ (Already done) and some RPG'S. Remember Nintendo has the biggest userbases both in portable and home consoles,

i am betting they already have. SE moves with the cash. cant blame them,

True that.

Can't wait for KH3 on the Wii :)

heheh... just what i wuz thinkin'

besides i doubt disney will have any problem making that decision.

and onto Super Mario RPG - sequel on wii or at least a damn remake on DS.

or *ishtz...* both! hahah!!

I wonder, Sony knew about FFXIII or Not...
Why there was no Kaz Hirai? =)

Overall, there is still No dates, No info.

Only that,
FIRST will come PS3 version, so probably x360 is getting a PORT. =)
So, there is a GOOD chance, that FFXIII will take ~50GB on PS3 then and won`t be donwgraded. =] GREAT!

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Mistershine said:
Soriku said:
DMeisterJ said:
Yeah, they were, as were the gaming industry at large, and probably MS too

MS should focus on internal development though. Especially as the PS3 userbase rises closer and closer, multi-plats may wind up doing better on the sony console *cough* DMC4 *cough* and not make it worth Microsoft's while. We've all conceded that FFXIII PS3 > FFXIII 360 in sales, so I'm not too sure what it helped MS to do that for.

This makes no sense. Even if they sell better on Sony consoles, sales will be mellowed out. FF XIII was exclusive to the PS3 and was THE reason to own a PS3. Some 360/Wii owners could've bought a PS3 for FF XIII. Now that it's on both the 360 and PS3, those 360/Wii owners could stick with their console or buy a 360 instead of a PS3 for it. Either way, it hurts the PS3 no matter what way you look at it.

But at least the guy's being honest. Looks like they're intent on proving to third parties that the sales alone would warrant exclusives (though it's not going all that great).

Also, of course Sony knew. They're share holders and if they didn't know this then Sony could EASILY sue SE. He's saying that MS likely paid for FF XIII...and since Sony is a share holder of SE that means MS likely paid for FF XIII just as I expected not because they want to expand (though that's probably a case as well, it's probably not the "prime" case). MS is really intent on hurting Sony this gen, but the Wii not so much.

SE is under no obligation to divulge all of their business decisions to all of their share holders. If they were then MS or Sony could easily buy a few shares in the other and demand to see all of their pending contracts. Never gonna happen.

True...but I thought the company always divulges decisions to share holders? What do they tell Sony then who own 8.58% of them?

I believe that under law, publicly listed companies are required to publish quarterly reports for their share holders, and that's about it. Most companies publish a lot more information regularily as a way to affect the share price development over time, but that's not required by law, I believe. If anybody knows this for sure, please let me know.

As for the board membership and whether Sony knew about this or not, board members have a legal obligation to work for the best interest of the company, and in this case there would be a conflict of interest and the Sony member (if there is one, dunno about that) would not be allowed to participate in the decision making and discussion. These things are pretty significant and companies tend to stick to them, so it's not just idle talk. So it is perfectly reasonable that Sony did not know about this, though they would know that Microsoft has some dealings with S-E.

So, he's saying M$ paid off Square? They probably did provide some financial incentive, but is Sony kidding me...the whole BRD vs HD-DVD was a Sony pay off, so they are complaining because they are trying to compete with a company with enough free cash to nearly match Sony's market cap...sounds like their problem. I'm not all geeked about FF series, but M$ is in this to deliver top value, which makes 360 owners VERY happy.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Shameless said:
Xen said:
Tbone said:
Of course they are surprised they lost their biggest exclusive game but on the other hand maybe sony should have secure ff13 instead.

GT5.

FF13 is (was?) a lot more hyped than GT5. Maybe not bigger saleswise, but I doubt a GT5 multiplatform announcement would have the impact FF13 multiplatform does for fans.

Say what?  I've seen more GT5 commercials on TV than anything else.  In fact, I can't say I've ever seen a FF13 commercial.  Period.  Sure, game sites have the trailers up for those interested in looking, but hype?  That's all fans, not Sony/SE.

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

I'm not surprised at the hypocrisy here. Has SONY been arrogant? Of course they have, but so have almost every other company on the face of the planet INCLUDING Microsoft. To somehow think that SONY "deserved" what happened and from Microsoft at that is a very one-sided blind view. Microsoft's business mentality has been, "If you don't do it our way, you'd wish you had," for the past 25 years which has never served and industry any good. If that's not arrogant, I don't know what is. But what do you expect from fanboys? Not reason, that's for sure. Oh, and by the way, I do think that SE needed to go multi-platform with the main FF series since it's being buried under your newer franchises as of late...

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

One thing I don't get.....why does everyone try and say that they made it multiplatform to recoup dev costs....when it COSTS MONEY TO DEVELOP BOTH VERSIONS!!! How do you shave off development costs by developing a game on another platform?