By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will Wii surpass 360 (if ever)?

catofellow said: celine said:Also catofollow you are WRONG to say that Japanese market is a declining one because if you look at 2006 result you can see that Japanese market of nowadays is the strongest in japanese history thanks to Nintendo DS and Wii. Your sentence is very ignorant because 2006 is a record year for hardware and software sales in Japan !!! The only thing declining in Japan is the Playstation market !!! 1. In relative terms Japan is declining. Japan represents 20% of total worldwide sales, in the past it was a larger number, in the future is will be a smaller number. 2. This record sales year is off the back of DS and PSP. The home console market is certainly shrinking in Japan. You cannot look at total software and hardware sales and conclude that Wii, PS3, and XBOX 360 will surpass sales of their predecessors. So you are right, the Japanese gaming market is growing. The only thing declining in Japan is the home console market!!!
I doubt that Wii wont outsell GC in Japan. GC ltd is somewhere around 4 million, Wii is today at 1.5 million, and still sold out. So yes Nintendo will succed this round, and yes PS3 wont reach the nice numbers of the PS2 (if it doesn't start to sell a lot soon)

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Around the Network

reverie said: Hey thanks everybody for this nice thread. Also: European advertised prices, unlike US prices, always include VAT, which will be between 15% and 25% depending on the country. The PS3 (60 GB model) will launch in Sweden at SEK 5999 incl. 25% VAT which equals USD 680 net without VAT (not USD 1000!). The Wii (incl. Wii Sports) at EUR 249 incl. VAT (in the Euro-zone) equals between USD 281 and USD 264 net, depending on the country. The price difference is not as big as it seems at first sight. It's mostly in the range of a 10% uptick on the US price.
Please tell me were I can find a ps3 for 5999 SEK, please...the officiell sell price will be 6500 SEK, and you need one game at least = 7000 SEK. 1 USD = 7 SEK => total price 1000 USD. or in swedish if any doubt were I came from: Snälla kan du vara så god och medela var jag kan köpa/boka PS3 för 5999 SEK. EDIT: Wii is costing 2695 SEK = 385 USD, 25% VAT of the USA price would be 311 USD. So no it is not only Sony that is ****ing us. The xbox360 is costing: ~3200 (is pretty often cheaper, have seen systems for 2999:- including a game) = 457 USD. 400*1,25 = 500 USD. Microsoft is actuly not ****ing us. Nice

You can't find the PS3 anywhere, because it's not on sale yet. I relied on the Wikipedia for my calculation of the Swedish PS3 price, which may or may not be correct. However, the point is that the SEK price includes 25% VAT which the USD price does not. Ask your politicians where they spend that money. Even at SEK 6499 incl. VAT the PS3 would equal USD 710. Prices of games are equal in Europe and the US as well.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

catofellow said: Microsoft cut production because they wish to sell out all inventory before a price cut. Microsoft has sold roughly 600,000 per month worldwide up until now, and at this continued pace, they will sell through the entire 12,000,000 by the end of June. If Wii sells through every unit they make until June, they will be at 9 million. I personally find it unlikely that Nintendo could pick up 3 million units in 6 months following an XBOX 360 price cut.
Yup, they overshipped to pad the whole "10,000,000 units shipped!!!" forecast. At 10 million units sold, they barely reached the 9 million level, what makes you think that they will sell through 12 million easilly during one of the slowest times of the year when they couldn't even get rid of their surplus over the holidays? The Wii has been selling(not shipped) at least 500k units per month in Japan alone(granted were still in the launch window). I also believe that it has succesfully differentiated itself from the competition. Price cuts for both the PS3 and the 360 will not really affect the Wii demand just because Nintendo's focus right now is userbase building via the non-gamers/casual gamer market whereas the 360 is focused on the limited hardcore audience. In short, the mainstream audience has spoken and they see the value in paying $250 for the novelty of experiencing the gimmicky waggle over paying $300++ for the other intimidating machines.
2. This record sales year is off the back of DS and PSP

And how much SEK do you make a year. (not trying to be rude, but just a ballpark figure... because that's what's imporant) I make about 12,000 USD/year. a PS3+game = 660.+9.25% tax. 721 USD 5041.98 SEK There you have it. A true direct currency conversion.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

reverie said: You can't find the PS3 anywhere, because it's not on sale yet. I relied on the Wikipedia for my calculation of the Swedish PS3 price, which may or may not be correct. However, the point is that the SEK price includes 25% VAT which the USD price does not. Ask your politicians where they spend that money. Even at SEK 6499 incl. VAT the PS3 would equal USD 710. Prices of games are equal in Europe and the US as well.
Well I know that I can't find it so where can I prebook it for 5999 SEK? The price in Europe might be with VAT, BUT does it matter? It is still ****ing expensive! By the way how do you go from 6499 SEK = 710 USD... I have tried the following: * 6499 [SEK]/7 [SEK/USD] = 928 USD * remove the VAT => 742 USD still 143 USD more than USA (599). Mind you those prices is still without any game! So you need to spen 60 USD (import, here in sweden at least the games is closer to 100 USD (with VAT)). We don't get the cheap one either.... Sweden is sony country, the PS2 outsold the xbox360 with 3 to 1 this christmas. BUT I doubt that the same crowd that pays 990 SEK for PS2 will pay 6500 SEK for a PS3.

Sweden is sony country, the PS2 outsold the xbox360 with 3 to 1 this christmas. BUT I doubt that the same crowd that pays 990 SEK for PS2 will pay 6500 SEK for a PS3.
So was Japan. And the United States. And pretty much the rest of the world. :p

Kwaad said: And how much SEK do you make a year. (not trying to be rude, but just a ballpark figure... because that's what's imporant) I make about 12,000 USD/year. a PS3+game = 660.+9.25% tax. 721 USD 5041.98 SEK There you have it. A true direct currency conversion.
300 000 SEK before tax, but I am pretty well paid (at least for a 23 year old youngster with his first real work...) and we do have 30% tax. EDIT3: yes I can without any problem pay for a PS3 at launch I just can't see that it delivery more fun than a Wii60 combo. Or nicer Graphics than the Xbox360. The thing is that when my friends that has been sony fanboys (sorry, and yes I do know those guys) is starting to look at the xbox instead. Those guys is sitting on around 200 000 SEK a year and need to pay for a car ect. Nobody says that the wont purchase the PS3 one day but for the moment the don't feel that the money is worth it. I mean one of those fanboys (who couldn't think of using any other brand than Sony) loves movies and have a pretty big DVD collection. He didn't think it was worth buying a blue ray player...yes I didn't belive him. I have one guy that is going to buy a PS3 to christmas hopping that a price cut will come. I have two friends going to buy a xbox360 (two that already own one), I might buy one. I have two friends with Wii, four that is going to buy (myself included mostly because I am a fanboy :)) I don't say that sony will fail totally in EU I think that the PS2 will be the dominating machin for at least 1 to 2 years because low price point and a lot of party games. I am saying that the PS3 will most probarbly sell out the first million and then have pretty slow sales comparable with Japan. That must be seen as a failure as much as the GC was a failure because Nintendo lost market share compared to earlier generations. (I don't think that Wii will sell tons in EU either because at least here in the north they aren't delivering any units + it is actuly quit expensive with controlls ect). EDIT: (by the way my big intresst is cars ) wouldn't think twice in paying overprice for a nice car... EDIT2: by expensive I mean that many don't find that it is worth it's price. I do think that many hardcore gamers will import their systems from USA or Japan. It is so cheap

Are you seroius 200,000SEK is normal for someone that age? Can I move there? I'd be MORE than happy to pay that price with THAT kinda income. 12,000USD = 83,916.45SEK TheSource - Isnt 17-19million Wii's kinda... Far Fetched? 4.5million - 19million = 14.5million. 10months. Can Nintendo seroiusly double their production... now? I read they are ramping up production soon into the 1million+. So that would be march-ish. before Nintendo is cranking ~1.05million/month. I wouldnt think Nintendo would get more factories online for 3-6 months. Wich would then put production at 1.4million/month. I dont see nintendo doing more than 14million. I do see Sony hitting 14million tho.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

@Kwaad Everything depends on which work you have, but I do seriously doubt that any I know at my age 19 to 23 makes less than 15000 SEK a month = 180 000 SEK a year. Of course if you are working for MacDonalds or something like that you might be below 15000, mayby around 13000 or something (of course then you have crappy working hours to). (Might point out that many of my palls actuly is making closer to 300 000 SEK than 200 000 SEK), free education gives some really nice benefits. But actuly I think 12000 USD is nothing at all, and I seriously would advice you to start support a good working union. Even when the dollar was at its top at 1 USD = 11 SEK, I doubt that you would be able to live in Sweden for that money. EDIT: A factory worker at SKF gets 18500 SEK/month the first year. Wii production is at max 1 million a month so yes 19 million is far fetched for this year.