By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - FFXIII timed PS3 exclusive, SO4 not Xbox360 exclusive

outlawauron said:
I can see SO4 arriving on PS3 at some point.

I don't think Sony isn't going to respond in the JRPG department.

They won't "respond" if you mean pay for a JRPG. The games will just come, even if they're multiplats and "timed" exclusives because there's money to be made.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network

I think it will depend on how much they think it will cost to port over, early costs for porting FF13 to the 360 should give them a ballpark figure. Also it leaves the door open for Sony to bribe them into making it multiplat.

Pristine20 said:
The Fury said:
After SEs reason's for bringing out FFXIII on the 360 (financial?), surely it would be a contridiction to say SO4 is not coming to PS3 when money can be made.

Unless what M$ paid them is already enough to cover what extra money they don't make.

Award for the most sensible post on this thread. Its funny how 3rd party exclusives only fail when M$ is the beneficiary!

Cheers. SO4 could succeed on 360, but probably only in the US, it's going to fail in going to fail in Japan and won't make much of an impact in the EU. Development costs for it are surely, while not anywhere near FF levels, still very high and getting it out on as many consoles as possible is the best option, especially in Japan. Fans of the series (in Japan especially) have been playing it on Playstation systems since the PS1 (that's SO2 (ps1), SO3 (ps2) and the remakes for PSP).

Also, i think you are right on the front above, Sony won't pay for the exclusives, it's obvious M$ are willing to do that. the difference is, for Developer, that money paid to them covers the cost of development maybe and so more profit is made. In previous generations, Playstations have held fast as the main console, and if you want to make your money, releasing it on the PS1 only or the PS2 to make their money, this generation, that Playstation luxury is not an option. It's a much closer race that i feel M$ is buying an unfair advantage in.

Hmm, pie.

I think SO4 will come out on PS3 eventually, but if it's timed exclusive I'll just pick up the 360 version instead of waiting for the PS3 version. One of the reasons I bought a PS3 was that I expected lots of JRPGs for it, and not many for the 360, but it's turned out to be the other way around. I'll be looking to add a 360 to my set up soon.

The fact is the ms will be getting all these jrpgs before(how long before is not known) or at the same time as the ps3(final fantasy will be ps3 exclusive in japan while the 360 gets star ocian first along with last remnant). Like it or hate ms have done a great job bringing jrpgs to the 360 and have a strong case in stating that the 360 is the console to own for these types of games.

Around the Network
celticlonewolf said:
The fact is the ms will be getting all these jrpgs before(how long before is not known) or at the same time as the ps3(final fantasy will be ps3 exclusive in japan while the 360 gets star ocian first along with last remnant). Like it or hate ms have done a great job bringing jrpgs to the 360 and have a strong case in stating that the 360 is the console to own for these types of games

That 'great job' is surely, as we all suspect, paying SquEnix for them. Which, apparently and it's even more evident now then ever, Sony don't do. Well done M$ for having more spare cash. Only issue is the loss of market in Japan. No matter how much they want it, there just isn't the market in Japan for the JRPGs on the 360. Not like there is for Wii, PS2 or infact any other console currently purchasable in Japan, yeah PS3 is not DS or PSP but it's better then 360. And as defined by their name, Japan should be the strongest market for those.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
Pristine20 said:
The Fury said:
After SEs reason's for bringing out FFXIII on the 360 (financial?), surely it would be a contridiction to say SO4 is not coming to PS3 when money can be made.

Unless what M$ paid them is already enough to cover what extra money they don't make.

Award for the most sensible post on this thread. Its funny how 3rd party exclusives only fail when M$ is the beneficiary!

Cheers. SO4 could succeed on 360, but probably only in the US, it's going to fail in going to fail in Japan and won't make much of an impact in the EU. Development costs for it are surely, while not anywhere near FF levels, still very high and getting it out on as many consoles as possible is the best option, especially in Japan. Fans of the series (in Japan especially) have been playing it on Playstation systems since the PS1 (that's SO2 (ps1), SO3 (ps2) and the remakes for PSP).

Also, i think you are right on the front above, Sony won't pay for the exclusives, it's obvious M$ are willing to do that. the difference is, for Developer, that money paid to them covers the cost of development maybe and so more profit is made. In previous generations, Playstations have held fast as the main console, and if you want to make your money, releasing it on the PS1 only or the PS2 to make their money, this generation, that Playstation luxury is not an option. It's a much closer race that i feel M$ is buying an unfair advantage in.

SO4 could do quite well on the 360 in the US, especially since SO3 sold 740K in the US alone, all it takes is a little marketing.  I don't think it will fail in Japan, I think it could do 200K if not a little more in Japan alone since the series is fairly popular there.

Riachu said:

SO4 could do quite well on the 360 in the US, especially since SO3 sold 740K in the US alone, all it takes is a little marketing. I don't think it will fail in Japan, I think it could do 200K if not a little more in Japan alone since the series is fairly popular there.

Yes, it could do well. Problem is with Japan is that 200k is a total entire 3rd of it's current market. Lets say that rises to 750,000 360s by the time it's released. It's still a fair wack.

SO3 only sold total .5 million (few more if you include directors cut) in Japan according to this very website on a console that had 11 million sold. The difference is too big to compare well.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
Riachu said:

SO4 could do quite well on the 360 in the US, especially since SO3 sold 740K in the US alone, all it takes is a little marketing. I don't think it will fail in Japan, I think it could do 200K if not a little more in Japan alone since the series is fairly popular there.

Yes, it could do well. Problem is with Japan is that 200k is a total entire 3rd of it's current market. Lets say that rises to 750,000 360s by the time it's released. It's still a fair wack.

SO3 only sold total .5 million (few more if you include directors cut) in Japan according to this very website on a console that had 11 million sold. The difference is too big to compare well.

SO3 would have done better in Japan if it weren't for the bug-ridden version that was originally released there and it was too little too late when the bugs were fix in the director's cut.  I am also quite suprised SO4 hasn't been in the top 15 Famitsu's Most Wanted, especially since SO3 was consistently in the top 3 before it came out.  Then again, the hype train just started recently so SO4 will probably be on there before it's release.

The Fury you sound a little bitter. If ms did give money for some of there titles so be it it is still coming to the 360 and expanding there jrpg games. as a consumer I dont really give any thought to how ps3 or 360 get there games. You also have to remember that they have put out there own games like blue dragon and LO with more on the way to. The point I was making is that ms are doing a good job of brining a wide range of games on the 360 and not just making it the console for shooters. Now will people see it that way is still unknown we will have to wait and see.