By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is FFXIII's multi-plat announcement a death blow to Sony again >_>?

Why it's a big blow?

Not that it's even a question, but here we go (most stuff has of course been said numerous times this evening, but who cares)

1. FF13 was Sony's biggest exclusive game
2. 360 is the HD console of choice in the US, but FF13 was one of the few titles that kept people from buying a 360
3. 360 will now have most JRPG's + the most important JRPG
4. Looking back at GTAIV: People said: "it's a Sony franchise, it will do better on PS3". It didn't in the most important vg market: the US. FF13 will probably sell more on 360 in the US as well, all but guaranteeing that FFvs13 will come to 360 as well. And who knows WKC.
5. The few companies that have PS3 exclusives will probably look at this and change to multiplatform as well

Around the Network

GTA is a bigger franchise in the west than FF. So I don't see the PS3 as dead, just damaged.

Man there are a lot of dilluted people on here -_- of course Pro-sony peeps have been hyping this game to no end, and had the 360 not gotten it, it would still be a huge deal, but now Microsoft... AND SONY... have it. Like I mentioned, if the 360 gained exclusivity, this would be MASSIVE. I'd buy a 360 at it's current price if it was exclusive for it. But it's not >_>; Sony didn't "lose" the game at all... Microsoft just gained a title. Which honestly is great for them :P I love the fact that they're getting they're fans more games. I have no qualms with that.

I just still don't see how this is a "deathblow" for the PS3. It WILL lose some sales, but not nearly as many as people here are making it out to be, in fact, I almost think this game will still sell more on the PS3. The trend before the multi-plat announcement? PS3 was selling more units. The trend after multi-plat announcement? I honestly doubt it'll change much :/ The PS3 is currently still the more desirable system regardless of all the short sticks it's holding. I'm not sure why so many people think this just sealed they're position.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

FFXIII multiplatform is a deathblow to the PS3 for the same reason that FFVII on PSX was a death blow to the N64. Exactly the same reason, actually. For Square-Enix giveth and Square-Enix taketh away, and FF is not just a system-seller: it is the kingmaker. To lose exclusivity is a deathblow to that system.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

PS3 gamers still get FF XIII. Sony loses future customers.

Around the Network

Both POVs are overreacting as usual.

Announcing FFXIII as a multi-platform title comes as a big surprise for a franchise that has been largely associated with the PS brand since FFVII, but the effect will not be the "generation deciding event" that many are making it out to be.

Case in point: GTAIV.

Similar situation: former PS brand exclusive franchise (that stopped being exclusive during the PS2/Xbox generation). Franchise is the best seller on the PS platform, and as a result, presumed to be the reason why many buy a PS.

GTAIV Result? Modest temporary bump in sales for both the PS3 and the 360. Numbering in the low/mid six figure range. Strong sales overall for GTAIV.

It's greatly exaggerating to say that millions would have bought a PS3 at even $399 for the privilege of playing FFXIII. Most of these core audience gamers would probably be opting for the $499 PS2 BC model anyway since they presumably have many of the FF titles published on the PS2 and PS.

Realistically, 2-4 hundred thousand additional PS3s might have been moved at that price point due entirely to an exclusive FF franchise debut on the platform. More if the price is presumed to be $299/399 by the time the game is released, but still numbering in the mid hundreds of thousands at best.

These kinds of numbers do not determine anything in terms of overall market share. Even the best console mover of this generation (Halo 3) did not cement the 360 in a position of market dominance past its initial release.

The way some people blow big releases out of proportion makes it seem as though they were trying to sell magazines with big exclusive scoops with over-sized headlines.

BengaBenga said:

Why it's a big blow?

Not that it's even a question, but here we go (most stuff has of course been said numerous times this evening, but who cares)

1. FF13 was Sony's biggest exclusive game
2. 360 is the HD console of choice in the US, but FF13 was one of the few titles that kept people from buying a 360
3. 360 will now have most JRPG's + the most important JRPG
4. Looking back at GTAIV: People said: "it's a Sony franchise, it will do better on PS3". It didn't in the most important vg market: the US. FF13 will probably sell more on 360 in the US as well, all but guaranteeing that FFvs13 will come to 360 as well. And who knows WKC.
5. The few companies that have PS3 exclusives will probably look at this and change to multiplatform as well

Published by sony, but the way things are going it probably will magically end up on the 360

Hi, i'm solojohlo and i'm pretty fucking awesome

*bleu-ocelot* said:
Because it was a shocker. FFXIII has always been known as a PS3 exclusive and a highly anticipated title. If FFXIII was announced at the beginning as a multiplatform title, it would not have been a huge blow.

See GTAIV.

I agree in 100%. This was a psychological blow, but I don't think it will be a big sales blow to the PS3. Did GTA IV kill PS3?

Millennium said:
FFXIII multiplatform is a deathblow to the PS3 for the same reason that FFVII on PSX was a death blow to the N64. Exactly the same reason, actually. For Square-Enix giveth and Square-Enix taketh away, and FF is not just a system-seller: it is the kingmaker. To lose exclusivity is a deathblow to that system.

I don't recal the N64 getting FFVII >_>; It's nothing like that -_-; Both... companies... get... the title... Exclusivity is a different ball game. And if Versus stays Exclusive thats all the more reason to still pick up a Playstation lol. Why get 13 on one system, to get Versus 13 on the other >_>? Logical I guess... /rolleyes

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Chrono you're very right man the worst part about this game going to 360 isn't losing bragging rights, it's the fact that the game has to be watered down so it can be on 360. As long as they keep that uncompressed audio I would be ok with it. Perhaps they can later compress the audio on the 360 version?