By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sony CEO: I've played the Wii..an expensive niche device

thers no comparison between a wii and ps3, or even a 360 for that matter,

both HD consoles tower above the wii in gaming

unless you are a child/family/minigame gamer.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network

I have played a lot of Wii games and in many cases found the controls lacking (particularly Smash Bros and Mario Kart).  How can you say "WRONG" as if you have some expertise in what works for different people control wise?  The only game (besides mini games like Wii Sports) where the Wii mote worked decidedly better was Resident Evil 4, other then that its been more or less a wash in most cases.

@Skeeuk you forgot the group that frequents a lot of the boards flaming HD consoles and gloating over the Wii, the 20-30 something who WANTS to be a child still.  I mean I loved Nintendo too and never would think of playing any other console.  Then in the mid 90s I...you know....hit peuberty.  I guess for some people the hair takes decades to grow.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Metroid Prime 3 at 60fps
See More Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Screenshot at IGN.com
See More Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Screenshot at IGN.comSee More Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Screenshot at IGN.comSee More Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Screenshot at IGN.com

Super Mario Galaxy at 60fps
See More Super Mario Galaxy Screenshot at IGN.com
See More Super Mario Galaxy Screenshot at IGN.comSee More Super Mario Galaxy Screenshot at IGN.comSee More Super Mario Galaxy Various at IGN.comSee More Super Mario Galaxy Various at IGN.comSee More Super Mario Galaxy Various at IGN.comSee More Super Mario Galaxy Various at IGN.comSee More Super Mario Galaxy Screenshot at IGN.com

That is only two of the many I could post.
http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?id=841311
More in that post. I still have even more if you wish me to post.

Impulsivity said:

I have played a lot of Wii games

Pics or it didn't happen.

^^ ^^

Looks like the original X Box to me.

Especially the MP3 stuff.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
Skeeuk said:

thers no comparison between a wii and ps3, or even a 360 for that matter,

both HD consoles tower above the wii in gaming

unless you are a child/family/minigame gamer.

PS360 is better for hardcore gamers. Wii is better for core gamers. :)

Now put those on a 50+ inch 1080P LCD and watch the quality suffer immensely.  Of course it looks OK in small scale screen shots, the biggest weakness of the Wii is its 480p limit on resolution (same as the PS3).  If you have a tiny non HD TV then the Wii looks just fine, if you put it on a high end system it just looks awful (artifacts, blurryness ect ect).  Its kind of the same as DVD vs blu ray.  If your TV is old and 480 or 720p with a small screen size you probably have no idea what hte big deal is.  Blow it up to a 50 inch or bigger 1080p screen and you'll see EXACTLY what the big deal is.

Get screenshots of God of War or FFX and they'll look just as good, and screenshots from current PS3 games BLOW those Wii ones away.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Impulsivity said:
@Skeeuk you forgot the group that frequents a lot of the boards flaming HD consoles and gloating over the Wii, the 20-30 something who WANTS to be a child still.  I mean I loved Nintendo too and never would think of playing any other console.  Then in the mid 90s I...you know....hit peuberty.  I guess for some people the hair takes decades to grow.

Well I suppose we can't all be as mature and sophisticated as you and insult anyone who disagrees with our opinion. If you have to try and demean the person behind the arguement it probably means you already lost the arguement. Try coming up with facts rather than over broad generalizations that are meaningless to the topic at hand.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

im too tired to argue with a troll at the moment!
so i will reply later Impulsivity

Impulsivity said:

It's quite simple the point he's making. The PS3 is a multifaceted machine that plays blu rays/dvds, works a a network hub for any video or music you want on your TV, in some markets works as a DVR now, can run a full fledged OS (Linux is really easy to install), can use 3rd party items really easily (UPnP devices for content, 3rd party hard drives for 320GB PS3s, a ton of blue tooth devices ect.). On top of that it plays high end cutting edge games that rival the best in the high end PC world.

The point is not that the Wii doesn't make money or isn't a gaming device, but rather it is nothing compared to the PS3 on most fronts, which quite simply, it isn't. If you want a really simple gaming toy thats great! The Wii does that perfectly. It is, however, a toy with very limited use beyond simply playing games hence niche. Even the PS2 had more media features then the Wii (and still does). Many niche devices sell well, its not a sales comment. The point is that its highly overpriced for what it delivers and it has very limited value for the cost relative to the PS3 or even the 360. For 250 dollars Nintendo is basically selling a PS2 with slightly updated hardware and a new controller that has very poor support for anything beyond playing games that were current in 2002. The Wii should really be more like 150 for what it provides whether or not Nintendo can charge more.

If you don't think that the value provided by the 400 dollar PS3 vs the 250 dollar Wii is greater then really, you have no concept of overall value. You can say "OMG I love Mario Kart and Wii!" But that is separate from the relative value of the systems. The PS3 is basicly a computer in the living room, the Wii is a toy that just plays games, its as simple as that. If you don't WANT a high end HD device then fine, but don't pretend that the PS3 isn't a better value for those who aren't satisfiedwith 480i/p (which was current 10 years ago) as the top resolution output.

And for all you Nintendomination advocates, in dollars of gaming devices sold Nintendo and Sony are basicly equal given that millions were willing to pay twice as much for a PS3 because they realized the PS3 is more then twice the value of the Wii (in terms of feature set, capabilities and hardware I would peg it at around 3 times the Wii).  Price isn't the same as value, value is the relation between what you pay and what you get.  The Camary is a better value then the Yaris even though the Yaris costs a lot less because the Yaris is feature poor and clunky even if it still runs.

From a technological view, I may agree with you, I don't but I will not discuss it now. But you have to understand that videogames are not about technology, but entretainment. For 250 dls the Wii gives entretainment to all members of the family. For 400 dls the PS3 only to the kids-teens-young adult males.

BTW, I prefer playing Smash Bros with the Wii controller,  why it sucks? It's just pressing buttons, there's no real difference except the button mapping. For someone who didn't played the gamecube one, it'd be easy to play it with the Wii Mote. 

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069