By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN: Zack & Wiki is a must buy!

FishyJoe said:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/797/797414p1.html

Buy Zack & Wiki Campaign 2007
Okay, you can't buy it yet, but maybe you can pre-order. And if not, you should at least start saving.
by Matt Casamassina

June 18, 2007 - Not since Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem on GameCube have we demanded that readers purchase a videogame, but the time has come (again) for us to take a stand. Capcom has a fantastic point-and-click puzzle-adventure on its hands. It's clever. It's difficult. It will make you think. It's also beautiful, perfectly capitalizing on Wii's strengths.

Unfortunately, it's got a stupid name. Formerly Project Treasure Island Z, now it's called Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure. Uh-huh, we know. Bad. Really, really bad. Meanwhile, unless you loved the style of Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker - and you should have - you probably won't find yourself wowed by the cel-shaded graphics forming the characters and worlds in Z&W. And there's no blood, F-bombs or dead hookers, either - all integral ingredients to today's most popular efforts.

But we're telling you, Zack & Wiki is fun. Really fun. Really smart. And really enjoyable. And we're not going to stop this campaign until you've pre-ordered it. Do it. Do it right now. What do you mean your local retailer isn't accepting pre-orders? That's no excuse for the truly dedicated. Start saving. Create a Zack & Wiki fund. And get on the message boards and spread the word. It's come down from the IGN Wii editors that Z&W (as those in the know call it) is the real deal and must be owned. As loyal Nintendo fans, you cannot disobey.

It does sound like a game i should pay high attention to.
While i'm not sure how accurate this preview is, i've to agree 100% on 1 thing:

"it's got a stupid name" !!!!!

Project Treasure Island Z was already bad, and now "Zack & Wiki: blah blah blah" is even worse!!!

Around the Network

funny, i thought "project treasure island Z" was bland, and i like the name zack & wiki. it actually piqued my interest. isn't that what a new title should do to a potential consumer, getting their attention?

the Wii is an epidemic.

My only complaint about the game so far is definitely the name... why would they call it this? No one in Capcom came up with something better?

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Yeah I know this is a must buy, am following this game via the Japanese websites right from the beginning and it really looks promosing. Was planning at first to write a small preview here, but I guess it might not be needed.

Capcom has officially decided to give the game in Japan a full name:

"Takarajima Z Barbaros no Hihou"

Translated as "Treasure Island Z Barbaros Treasures" or Treasure Island Z The Treasures of Barbaros"

Treasure Island is not a stupid name as that's where the treasurehunt takes place :P But Zack & Wicky is indeed a bit too odd to describe :D

This profile is no longer in use, see my other profile *~Onna76~*

Awesome, I've been following this game for awhile, glad to hear it's getting the thumbs up from IGN, those guys can be very harsh.

I'll be purchasing it now.

Around the Network

I hate IGN less when they do stuff like this.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

There's an interview with the lead designer in the current issue of Nintendo Power (yes, I'm ashamed to subscribe sometimes, but I do read it.) I like his approach, his idea is to create a traditional adventure game that actually requires the player to DO things with the Wii remote rather than just pointing and clicking.

So there's a nice incorporation of the Wii remote (reportedly 80 different actions) into a puzzle-solving context where wiggling around and pressing buttons and imagining the remote is a variety of different objects and tools really adds value. It gives you the storyline and constant involvement of an adventure game while still making creative use of the remote.

Lots of potential in the concept -- it remains to be seen how well it pans out in the final release, but I'm encouraged by recent press reports. And at a $40 retail price point I think this game has the potential to be a big hit with all kinds of gamers.

Oh, and on the name, my assumption would be that Capcom hopes this can become a new franchise, in which case

Zach & Wiki: [Further Piratey-sounding Adventure Title]

sounds a lot less limiting than

Project Treasure Island Y

I was planning on getting the game from the moment I saw it months ago and was advertising it to people I know (racked up 3 probably buys within a week). Now I just feel like a tool of IGN. I don't care though, its long been my #1 anticipated 3rd party game and I'm still getting it the day it comes out.

Don't need casamassina to tell me this game is gonna be good..I was interested since the first time i saw it..Looks gorgeous and plays like none other..I will get this for sure stupid name or not...;)