By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

FFIV was my favorite right next to VII.. I guess I have to buy a DS now

If perferring the PS3 over the 360 makes me a fanboy.. I guess I am guilty..

List of 360 Games I would like to have: Alan Wake

List of PS3 Games I would like to have: LBP, FFXIII(if it ever comes), R2(maybe)

List of Wii Games I would like to have: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (It's not an exclusive but it would be awesome)

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
sc94597 said:
Kasz216 said:
sc94597 said:
If FFVI was remade for the ds I wonder what they would give it? I would give it a 9.5.

Might be lower. FF6 actually got outscored by FF4 in IGN's top 100 games of all time.

FF6 still thankfully beat FF7.

Well if they replay it, maybe the will change their mind. (:

Maybe, i can't fully disagree with them though.  FF4's gameplay system was a little more solid in my opinion do to the espers in FF6 being a bit cheap and making a lot of characters too similar... and it's story was pretty epic in it's own right when you get the full story.

The SNES original release of course doesn't really count since it was gimped for no reason for US shores... but the full game does make it close.

Yeah that may be fair. So FFVI=FFIV>Everything else, but for different reasons. Also IV was the first FF to bring the ATB system so that was pretty revolutionary.

Kasz216 said:
Riachu said:
sc94597 said:
Riachu said:
sc94597 said:
Riachu said:
That is a great score but I am going to skip this and wait for the inevitable 3D FFVI remake since I heard great things about that one.

But this is the second best FF game, and VI most likely won't come to the U.S until 2 years from now(They have to do V first).

Did you ever played FFVII? I am pretty sure it is being debated whether FFVI or VII are the best FF and not FFIV and VI. I am willing to wait 2 years for it. We will probably wait even longer for a VII remake. I don't have the most money in the world and I am going to get CT and the SO1 and SO2 remakes.

Well most people who think VII is the best FF or even rpg I would say played it as their first rpg. FFIV imo is far superior to VII. Actually I think even IX and X are better than VII imo.

I never played FFVII but the only actual flaws with the game as far as I can tell is the subpar translation that made the story convoluted at times and the aging graphics which will both be fixed in the supposed remake. I played a little of FF4A but I didn't get that far. Of the FFs I did play, FFX is my favorite.

Don't forget the further step backwords in the battle system... and they actually don't even get to the convoluted plot till much till way towards the end of the game.

It's a game i've played through many times and can't reccomend.

Don't see why people consider it a good JRPG let alone a good FF. Outside of hype that is.

I remember a lot of people back then talking about how having a party member die was so revolutionary for an RPG.

Which... had happened in the prior 3 final fantasy games. The fact that i felt more for General Leo dieing a bit player... then Aeris says a lot.

That was a pivitol moment for a lot of gamers.  That was the first time for millions of gamers to cry while actually playing the game.

Riachu said:
Kasz216 said:
Riachu said:
sc94597 said:
Riachu said:
sc94597 said:
Riachu said:
That is a great score but I am going to skip this and wait for the inevitable 3D FFVI remake since I heard great things about that one.

But this is the second best FF game, and VI most likely won't come to the U.S until 2 years from now(They have to do V first).

Did you ever played FFVII? I am pretty sure it is being debated whether FFVI or VII are the best FF and not FFIV and VI. I am willing to wait 2 years for it. We will probably wait even longer for a VII remake. I don't have the most money in the world and I am going to get CT and the SO1 and SO2 remakes.

Well most people who think VII is the best FF or even rpg I would say played it as their first rpg. FFIV imo is far superior to VII. Actually I think even IX and X are better than VII imo.

I never played FFVII but the only actual flaws with the game as far as I can tell is the subpar translation that made the story convoluted at times and the aging graphics which will both be fixed in the supposed remake. I played a little of FF4A but I didn't get that far. Of the FFs I did play, FFX is my favorite.

Don't forget the further step backwords in the battle system... and they actually don't even get to the convoluted plot till much till way towards the end of the game.

It's a game i've played through many times and can't reccomend.

Don't see why people consider it a good JRPG let alone a good FF. Outside of hype that is.

I remember a lot of people back then talking about how having a party member die was so revolutionary for an RPG.

Which... had happened in the prior 3 final fantasy games. The fact that i felt more for General Leo dieing a bit player... then Aeris says a lot.

That was a pivitol moment for a lot of gamers. That was the first time for millions of gamers to cry while actually playing the game.

Which doesn't make it revolutionary. It just means they didn't play the previous Final Fantasy games.

Kinda hard to take those peoples opinions on "best" final fantasy game serious.

Blacksaber said:
Gah I have to choose between this and Elite Agents! This is not helping!

That IS a nasty situation to find yourself in. Good luck!

Oh, and at the inevitable "which is better" debate: IV kicks everything's a** ever, period. I especially love how the battle against Dark Knight Cecil was handled. I'm going to scrape up my pennies, bite the bullet, and get this game (sorry Okami).

Around the Network

Between 4 and 6, I'd pick 4 for the story. You actually care for the characters.
In 6, it spreads thin.

In 7, I dunno, I couldnt' get into it. Maybe I am anti hype, lol.

Galaki said:
Between 4 and 6, I'd pick 4 for the story. You actually care for the characters.
In 6, it spreads thin.

You didn't care about Celes Locke or Terra?:( Not to mention you didn't hate kefka? Oh and I felt VI had more balance between character developemt and the overall story. FFIV not so much.

Galaki said:
In 6, it spreads thin.

I am pretty sure it is the other way around.  Final Fantasy IV's characters are one-dimensional by today's standards.  Final Fantasy VI's characters on the other hand are very deep and memorable.  I never played much of IV and I never played VI but this is from what I heard.

Good review. I haven't played the original games, so I should probably play this when I get a DS. I wonder if they will remake V and VI for the DS.

Galaki said:
In 6, it spreads thin.

I agree with the order, but you're being unfair to 6. Character development was never its problem: the fact that the story stops in the second half to facilitate the character development is. Still, I prefer IV's story and characters. True, they're a tad cliche now, but that's because this game made them cliche in the first place.