By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What made you buy your PS3?

I just came across a MGS4 80GB bundle on Amazon for $450 (free shipping & no tax), so that's what made me finally break down and get a PS3.

Looks like I got the last one, too, woot!

Around the Network

Games - Killzone 2, FFXIII, FFvXIII, MGS4, LBP, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, UTIII and others

I also bought one for the BD capability, FREE multiplayer and generally have been very impressed with Sony products over the years and there first party titles.

It cost me £425 ($850) and i dont regret that one bit even when it was dropped to £300 a few month after, i felt it was worth it and it really really was :)

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

Well for me, my brother already has a Wii and I was starting to get bored with it after getting through SMG, MP3 and Zelda. So it was either the 360 or the PS3, and the PS3 won out.

Out of all current gen systems it has the best value as a hardware product. Blu-ray, built in wi-fi, free online play, free charger...and a far lower risk of defects than the 360.

Some of the major series I enjoy most are here, atleast multiplatform, such as MGS4, FF13, RE5 etc so there was no way I could just rely on the Wii anymore after moving on from the PS2. Last gen I owned a PS2 and GC, and there's no way in hell I would have enjoyed just having the GC and the Wii was starting to feel as if it may head down that same route in terms of third party support.

My brother eventually went on to purchase a 360 so all is well in terms of access to great games this generation.

Playing: InFamous, Super Robot Taisen OG Saga, Modern Warfare 2

blu-ray. I got some other games on PS3 like MGS4, Resistance, and Uncharted

Ninja Gaiden Sigma, I am a big fan of the Ninja Gaiden Series

Around the Network

Games, Games, Games.
Been with Sony since Twisted Metal and Resident Evil on the PS1 and haven't looked back. All my favorite games have been on the Playstaytion in the past so the PS3 was the logical choice. Picked it up at launch and have been happy ever since.

Bought a second one for the bedroom just to have Blu-ray and the Media Extender abilities in the bedroom...those were pleasant surprises. Plus I can game in there when the wife wants the big TV.

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Stephen Henry Roberts

If you want the honest answer, I did intend to buy it eventually and had a launch model I gave as a gift. However what forced my hand was the introduction of the 80 and 40GB models. I grabbed the 60 for full backwards compatibility.

I felt a little forced but at least now there's a game or two coming in the near future Last Remenant(I was going to get it for 360 but I'll grab it to have something on my PS3) and Disgaea 3 so at least in a month I won't feel angry about having felt forced to purchase it.

The games and i always liked playstation.

My brother and I went to GameStop to purchase a Wii and they were sold out, so he purchased a PS3 as a consolation.

I thought linux would be awesome on it, and I thought that it would get a whole lot of great JRPG's and japanese-made games like Okami.

I was wrong.

Those unfulfilled wishes were the reasons I kept the PS3.  I originally bought it because I wanted to sell it on ebay for profit (it was a launch unit).  After seeing the auctions weren't making too much money, I was faced with the decision to either return it or keep it.