By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 price Drop? ( disagree or agree)

when does 2008 Q1 financials come in?

Around the Network
Lightning08 said:
Disagree

The gen is over and Sony should focus on being profitable so they some money to spend on getting things right for the next gen. Nothing can be gained from taking even more losses on the PS3 when it's impossible to catch the Wii now.

the generation isnt over... it just started. it hasn't even been 2 years yet. There are SOOO many things that could happen. Yes wii has a dominating lead but whos to say it wont die out or something? (not saying it will but anything could happen) Besides, you dont have to win the generation for it to be successful, sony knew all along that they would be losing alot of money the first few years of ps3s life. but in the end it will be profitable, ps3 is going to be at least an 8 year system, meaning they have 6 years to make the $$$$

B

PooperScooper said:

i think at the end of this month

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Yes, so I can buy one.

No so they can profit.

PooperScooper said:

No idea but it will be interesting. Im betting ps3/sony gaming division is in the black. anyone want to bet with me?

B

Around the Network
dbot said:
They do not need to drop the price. If they could add backwards compatiblity to the 40 gig that would be the equivalent of $100 drop. They need to focus on adding services, improving third party relationships, and getting their first party titles to market. Sony is in a good position because they are outselling the 360 at a significantly higher price level.

Adding BC to the 40 gig woulc help a lot, but it would not be nearly as good as a $100 price cut. There are a lot of people who just can't afford a PS3 no matter how many features it has. Also a 40 gig BC PS3 would canabolize the 80 gig sales.

^Guy pissing on Microsoft Sign

UBISOFT BOYCOTT

Yes, but not now

@nintendo Zealot - Love the avatar.

A 40 gig with BC would allow Sony to consilidate on a single SKU. I think that would allow them to achieve some additional cost savings. I don't think you will see another $100 price cut from Sony. Maybe $50 within the year.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

mabye the end of the year or after spring 2009 seems better. With all the exclusives that will be out by then they will get double the money with the price drop.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

mr.elite said:
PooperScooper said:

No idea but it will be interesting. Im betting ps3/sony gaming division is in the black. anyone want to bet with me?

I was the only one who predicted a profit for 2007 Q3 financials. Alot of people were saying 800 mil - 1 bil dollar loss and no one said less than 400 mil loss. Except me! I said 1 dollar profit.