By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In your opinion, which franchise had the best jump from 2D to 3D?

Metroid

Around the Network

mario or grand theft auto

Mario of course

Sky Render said:

It all depends on what you mean. If you mean retaining the spirit of the original gameplay while transmuting the medium to the third dimension, then I think Mario pretty much has that one nailed; all of the 3D entries play and feel like faithful 3D adaptations of a 2D system.

In terms of changing the gameplay best to suit it for 3D, I'd say that Metroid had the biggest task cut out for it, and did the most impressive job of remaking itself for a medium that it was never really intended for. Say what you like about Zelda being well-adapted, but it was a series that lent itself to 3D far more than a side-scrolling exploration-based game like Metroid.

For the improvement of visual style between the 2D and 3D spectrum, Dragon Quest definitely takes the crown (well, DQ8 onwards anyway; we'll forget that DQ7 is technically 3D). The realization of DQ artwork in 3D was no small task, and Level-5 did an amazing job of it.

As for the series least impacted by the transition, Final Fantasy comes to mind. It took until FFX for the games to even get full 3D environments (at which point they ended up losing detail in favor of being larger), and though the battles have been in 3D since FF7, they still all play out like their 2D counterparts, with the addition of spastic camera work to help induce nausea in more queasy players. I've nothing against the series, but I can't help but feel that Square-Enix has made the least impressive effort of all companies listed in this post thus far to really make the most of 3D over 2D.

This is my exact opinion on the matter and my last post in this thread.

Thank you for reading my mind.

leo-j said:
Mario and zelda had an amazing jump.

Also METAL GEAR SOLID had to me the best jump from 2d to 3d.

Agreed

Around the Network
highwaystar101 said:
Kasz216 said:
leo-j said:
Mario and zelda had an amazing jump.

Also METAL GEAR SOLID had to me the best jump from 2d to 3d.

I think you mean Metal Gear.

As there wasn't a 2D Metal Gear Solid game.

What he meant was MGS was the game that initaiated the 3D jump. For once I agree with Leo-J on this.

Everyone picks on leo-j, they should make a whole "Pick on Leo-j" section of the forum to go with Nintendo, PC, Off topic, etc.

You don't see anyone saying, "Metroid never was in 3D, it was Metroid Prime."

I think Mario by far.

Metal Gear (MG to MGS, for the a-holes)

Zelda

Metroid

GTA

Final Fantasy (Though this was more of a progression than a jump)

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Strategyking92 said:
Sonic.

nobody noticed this earlier? jeez.....

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Metal Gear Solid and Metroid Prime were my favorite 3D installments in traditionally 2D genres.

Mario

Grand Theft Auto! :D
That boosted it sales sky high! =P

Justice is always Right... Oh wait... that was Wright...